FORMER DOLPHINS COACH NOT IMPRESSED WITH FINS OFFENSE FROM OTA VISIT | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FORMER DOLPHINS COACH NOT IMPRESSED WITH FINS OFFENSE FROM OTA VISIT

Always a hair in the pie with this org, let it play out. If history indicates anything we'll be a mess either early or late and finish with 7-8 wins, until then I want to have groundhog day hope.

Wasn't Westoff recently a coach on the Jests? How have they produced on ST/Offense recently?

I guess he knows dog **** when he sees it...

Sounds like the biggest issue is mental. Players do not know the playbook. Talking about it too long in the huddle and don't know where to line up. They were not ready for OTA and mini camp and did not prepare. That to me is a bad sign, McD needs to get stricter.
Fair enough, but you need to let the players make mistakes in practice so that you can "correct" them.
Isn't that really what practice is all about?

Aren't OTA's a kind of pre-training camp training camp where a lot more mistakes are likely to be apparent?

I look at OTA's as a precursor to training camp. I look at training camp as a precursor to practice games and I look at practice games as precursors to the season when games really count.

I expect OTA's to be rife with errors that need to be corrected so that everyone, and especially players that are new to our team, can get some experience with our teams system of play prior to training camp. This is especially critical when a team is implementing a new system with a new HC.

I expect training camp to have less error prone practices and be a place to determine who plays and at what position. It is where newly drafted players get their first real practical introduction to "NFL level football" and they, along other newly acquired players, begin to find their roles on the team. This is also when the team begins cutting down the number of players competing for jobs.

I expect practice games to be where final adjustments are made determining who plays and at what position. This is when playing for a job gets the toughest because we are dealing with releasing some of the better players who are fighting for a job.

This is also where our coaching, and game planning, and play calling gets tested and final pre-season corrections are made in those coaching related areas.

Once the season begins there will still be a few changes to be made to players and positions based on performance (or lack there-of), injuries and other reasons players may not be available. I expect gameday plans to be altered at half time, based on the results on the field.

So, in the end there is a continuum of change starting with a lot of change and corrections being made at the OTA's, and occurring at a decreasing rate until the end of the season.

The idea that singular static changes in personnel are needed to improve the team's performance, no matter how good that coach or player may be, is usually overstated by the fan base because "constant effective change" is the real-life blood of a successful NFL team. Not just moving " players" like chess pieces.

How did you think those highly rated players were developed in the first place?

Last edited:
Fair enough, but you need to let the players make mistakes in practice so that you can "correct" them.
Isn't that really what practice is all about?

Aren't OTA's a kind of pre-training camp training camp where a lot more mistakes are likely to be apparent?

I look at OTA's as a precursor to training camp. I look at training camp as a precursor to practice games and I look at practice games as precursors to the season when games really count.

I expect OTA's to be rife with errors that need to be corrected so that everyone, and especially with players that are new to our team, so they can get some experience with our teams system of play prior to training camp. This is especially critical when a team is implementing a new system with a new HC.

I expect training camp to be less error prone practices and a place where who plays what position is determined. It is where newly drafted players get their first real practical introduction to NFL level football and they and other newly acquired players begin to find their roles on the team. This is also when the team begins cutting down the number of players competing for jobs.

I expect practice games to be where final adjustments are made regarding who plays what position. This is when playing for a job gets the toughest because we are dealing with some of the better players who will be released.

It is also where our coaching and game panning and play calling gets tested and final corrections are made in those coaching related areas.

Once the season begins there will still be a few changes made to players and positions based on performance (or lack there of), injuries and other reasons players may not be available. I expect gameday plans to be altered at half time, based on the results on the field.

So, in the end there is a continuum of change starting with a lot of change and corrections being made at a decreasing rate from OTA's until the end of the season.

The idea that singular static changes in personnel, no matter how good that coach or player may be, is usually overstated by the fan base because "constant effective change" is the real-life blood of a successful NFL team. not just moving " players like chess pieces.

How did you think those highly rated players came about in the first place?
wow, all this text and yet no -LOL

impressive.

Let's see if I get this straight, we have a former coach that was fired from this organization, who also has a new book to sell? What could go wrong here? I see a guy that wants another payday with his book, nothing more. I expect a very young Offense with a totally new system to learn, to struggle, and the local press being favorable to curry favor from the new coaches. There's still a long way to go.
If you want attention and clicks come to Miami and throw negativity around.

Guaranteed reaction.

The offense was that bad? Sounds like we have conflicting reports.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Not great to hear this. I hope McDaniel can get this right before the season starts.

It's cool to be a players coach but you need to be organized and disciplined before it can be all fun and games.

It's still very early on maybe that's all this is. I hope that's all this is.
This makes sense when compared to how things are supposed to work. At this point of the offseason, the defense is always ahead of the offense especially when learning a new system. I was surprised at all the praise the offense was getting honostly.

This is a new scheme, coaching, players ...etc. It will jell and get better, but aside from that it may be a case of playing weak players more to see where they stand in the Oline for example. It may be experimenting a lot, which can net poor results. I would wait a bit before worrying about it.

Back
Top Bottom