Free agency start in about 3 weeks. Here's a list of the top 200 free agents | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free agency start in about 3 weeks. Here's a list of the top 200 free agents

No , Sewell @ 3 would be the wrong pick. Parsons, pitts or smith should be the path we take.

I agree with you but I don’t believe that’s how GM’s think. They check the playmaker box and then gravitate towards the safe pick at a premium position that will have the longest career. Offensive tackle or QB. Me, I’m taking Pitts or Fields/Wilson if I can’t trade down. But I’d bet money if Robinson is signed, Sewell is the pick at 3.

I agree with you but I don’t believe that’s how GM’s think. They check the playmaker box and then gravitate towards the safe pick at a premium position that will have the longest career. Offensive tackle or QB. Me, I’m taking Pitts or Fields/Wilson if I can’t trade down. But I’d bet money if Robinson is signed, Sewell is the pick at 3.
If we get Robinson then I'd agree that we might not go WR with our top pick, even tho I think we'd still need to draft a WR at some point. With Robinson on board I'd still try to trade down but if we stay at 3 then I could understand then taking Sewell even tho that's not what I'd do.

I like the idea of mid-salary options like Samuel where there is a chance they can provide value beyond or in line with their salary. Guys like Robinson almost have no chance of loving up to their number in production. We need the next Robinson that will break out, before he actually does break out. Guys like Robinson have already peaked and there is just almost no way he can produce at that level consistently.

The money part of it is not what we should be looking at. Bean counters and a few creative renegotiated contracts usually gets you what you need
it's Ross's money not ours remember
Add vets Robinson and Jones and that is two more draft picks to help the O line and D with pass rushers and such
You can still get a top WR draft pick to boot

just my opinion of course but with those two we are closer to a championship team and that is my only concern
Golly Fishy I am SO RELIEVED to hear that! I mean I'm already tapped out!

>>> Gonna celebrate with a mushroom pizza tonight!

FA is definitely going to be interesting to see how we play this and afterwards we should have a better idea of what we’re going to do in the draft but with that being said I think this FA class is really heavy on quite a few quality Safety’s and I think we should target 1 and that would count as our “big” FA signing. Marcus Williams tops the list for me bc he’s really young at 24 but he’s played a ton of snaps for NO and he may be the best cover Safety in football. He’s going to command a big contract but imagine adding him to our secondary with X and BJ and not to mention Iggy coming into his 2nd year should be much better. Marcus Williams is my #1 FA want.

If we find Marcus Williams to pricey I could understand that but I’d then look to Marcus Maye Malik Hooker and John Johnson and I wouldn’t care which they chose. All of those guys are very good players and who knows with a guy like Hooker who hasn’t played up to his draft slot maybe he just needs a change of scenery and his contract would come at a mid level price I believe. I believe we can get a starting Safety out of this FA class and then we wouldn’t have to worry about it with draft picks. We need a Safety and this FA class just happens to be deep at Safety.

2nd in FA I’m looking at WR. I like a lot of others love the idea of Curtis Samuel bc he’s very young he’s been productive with a not so great QB situation and he’s be cost effective. He feels a major need for our offense and that’s someone who has the ability to stretch the field. If not Samuel then I’d really like to take a chance on TY Hilton. He’s a south Florida kid and who knows maybe he’d be willing to give a hometown discount but either way he’s not going to command big money and I believe he’s still got some gas left in the tank. He doesn’t have the top end speed anymore but he’s still very good at separating and he’s still got more than enough speed to hurt a defense. Plus he’s a veteran and he’s known as a big locker room guy that a lot of guys really like. He could help whoever we draft at WR and teach them the ropes. I’d probably at least check in on Corey Davis. He finally stepped up his play this past season after really not living up to his draft slot in the previous years but he’ll probably want more than at least I’d be willing to give him bc I need him to show it for more than just one year and a contract year at that but if he came at the right price I say sure why not?

Corey Linsley at Center is a guy I’d love to have but Center is 3rd on my personal list of priorities for FA but Linsley is definitely the big prize at Center in this FA. Probably somewhere in the 10-11 million a year range but depending on if we struck out on a big name Safety I’d be willing to give it to Linsley. Some consider him the best Center in the league and at minimum he’s top 3. He’s also a vet now and would be a good calming presence for our other young OL going into their 2nd year and also with whatever rookies we draft on the OL.

Lastly 2 guys that I’d take a look at are LB Jayon Brown from the Titans and James Conner from the Steelers. Both will be cost effective. Both are still young and both fill a need. I’ve seen a lot of people on here clamoring for a power back and Conner if nothing else always runs hard. Not the most agile twitchy or nifty tailback but he’s a big guy that should be able to pick up that 3rd an 2 for us when we need it. Also if we did sign Conner it wouldn’t keep us from still drafting a tailback. As for Jayon Brown he’s an athletic guy that’s played a lot of snaps for Tennessee and he’s a solid young player. Still very coachable and once again he fills a need for us at a very reasonable price.

I want to reiterate that all this is what I would do. None of this means a thing as far as what Miami would/will do but these are the main guys I’d like to see us targeting and trying to sign. At the very least I know everybody won’t agree on the exact players I’ve listed but I think we all agree on the positions we should be targeting. Also like others in this thread have said for every need we fill in FA that’s 1 less we have to fill with draft picks which should allow us to select BPA instead of reaching for needs.

FA is definitely going to be interesting to see how we play this and afterwards we should have a better idea of what we’re going to do in the draft but with that being said I think this FA class is really heavy on quite a few quality Safety’s and I think we should target 1 and that would count as our “big” FA signing. Marcus Williams tops the list for me bc he’s really young at 24 but he’s played a ton of snaps for NO and he may be the best cover Safety in football. He’s going to command a big contract but imagine adding him to our secondary with X and BJ and not to mention Iggy coming into his 2nd year should be much better. Marcus Williams is my #1 FA want.

If we find Marcus Williams to pricey I could understand that but I’d then look to Marcus Maye Malik Hooker and John Johnson and I wouldn’t care which they chose. All of those guys are very good players and who knows with a guy like Hooker who hasn’t played up to his draft slot maybe he just needs a change of scenery and his contract would come at a mid level price I believe. I believe we can get a starting Safety out of this FA class and then we wouldn’t have to worry about it with draft picks. We need a Safety and this FA class just happens to be deep at Safety.

2nd in FA I’m looking at WR. I like a lot of others love the idea of Curtis Samuel bc he’s very young he’s been productive with a not so great QB situation and he’s be cost effective. He feels a major need for our offense and that’s someone who has the ability to stretch the field. If not Samuel then I’d really like to take a chance on TY Hilton. He’s a south Florida kid and who knows maybe he’d be willing to give a hometown discount but either way he’s not going to command big money and I believe he’s still got some gas left in the tank. He doesn’t have the top end speed anymore but he’s still very good at separating and he’s still got more than enough speed to hurt a defense. Plus he’s a veteran and he’s known as a big locker room guy that a lot of guys really like. He could help whoever we draft at WR and teach them the ropes. I’d probably at least check in on Corey Davis. He finally stepped up his play this past season after really not living up to his draft slot in the previous years but he’ll probably want more than at least I’d be willing to give him bc I need him to show it for more than just one year and a contract year at that but if he came at the right price I say sure why not?

Corey Linsley at Center is a guy I’d love to have but Center is 3rd on my personal list of priorities for FA but Linsley is definitely the big prize at Center in this FA. Probably somewhere in the 10-11 million a year range but depending on if we struck out on a big name Safety I’d be willing to give it to Linsley. Some consider him the best Center in the league and at minimum he’s top 3. He’s also a vet now and would be a good calming presence for our other young OL going into their 2nd year and also with whatever rookies we draft on the OL.

Lastly 2 guys that I’d take a look at are LB Jayon Brown from the Titans and James Conner from the Steelers. Both will be cost effective. Both are still young and both fill a need. I’ve seen a lot of people on here clamoring for a power back and Conner if nothing else always runs hard. Not the most agile twitchy or nifty tailback but he’s a big guy that should be able to pick up that 3rd an 2 for us when we need it. Also if we did sign Conner it wouldn’t keep us from still drafting a tailback. As for Jayon Brown he’s an athletic guy that’s played a lot of snaps for Tennessee and he’s a solid young player. Still very coachable and once again he fills a need for us at a very reasonable price.

I want to reiterate that all this is what I would do. None of this means a thing as far as what Miami would/will do but these are the main guys I’d like to see us targeting and trying to sign. At the very least I know everybody won’t agree on the exact players I’ve listed but I think we all agree on the positions we should be targeting. Also like others in this thread have said for every need we fill in FA that’s 1 less we have to fill with draft picks which should allow us to select BPA instead of reaching for needs.
Linsley's my #1 target. So many good WR's in the draft that I really don't see the need to spend on a free agent WR. I agree about safety and we should look into it as well as LB.

Back to Linsley, not only a top center but he'd help out a lot with the young guys and at 10 to 11 mill per year we should do it. We're paying Flowers 10mill a year and he's not even on the same zip cope as Linsley.

The money part of it is not what we should be looking at. Bean counters and a few creative renegotiated contracts usually gets you what you need
Add vets Robinson and Jones and that is two more draft picks to help the O line and D with pass rushers and such

just my opinion of course but with those two we are closer to a championship team and that is my only concern
I with you brother, with the exception I refuse to get a reverse mortgage!

Linsley's my #1 target. So many good WR's in the draft that I really don't see the need to spend on a free agent WR. I agree about safety and we should look into it as well as LB.

Back to Linsley, not only a top center but he'd help out a lot with the young guys and at 10 to 11 mill per year we should do it. We're paying Flowers 10mill a year and he's not even on the same zip cope as Linsley.
I agree. He upgrades our line a ton. And for Tua's game, I think the most important place for our line to be strong is up the middle. Tua's game will develop more along the lines of a Drew Brees or Tom Brady. It's easier for him to step up against edge rushers than it is for him to deal with pressure up the middle. He's never going to be great at outrunning defenders outside, but he is great at getting the ball out quickly and accurately. You give Tua protection from quick pressure up the middle and a WR who consistently gets quick separation and consistently catches the ball and that's tough to defend.

First, you don't spend top dollar for a RB in the NFL, especially one that isn't even top 5, that is overpaying. When is the last time a top dollar starting RB won a Super Bowl?

Second, you don't follow up that bad signing where you overpaid with another signing at the same position for a guy who has lost a step and trending down. Bell would be overkill and 4th on the depth chart behind Jones. Gaskins, and Ahmed

Third, I like Robinson and have no problem signing him as he can bring value, however not at $21m per which is an overpay for a guy who isn't top tier and has had an injury history.

Fourth, you have to attack free agency with a somewhat idea of what is available in the draft. For example, this is a deep draft for WR, but very weak for off ball LB to replace/upgrade from Roberts. After Parsons it gets sketchy. You also have to be smart knowing with 4 picks in the top 50 that you are better off not spending big on RB, and picking Williams/Harris/Etienne

I would much rather smartly draft our RB to pair with Gaskins/Ahmed, and smartly draft 2-3 WR from a strength of the draft, and put together a combination of guys below using that $37.5 million.

So, looking at these predictions, Aaron Jones, LeVeon Bell, and Allen Robinson total to $37.5 million per.

Justin Simmons - $16.5m
Marcus Maye - $15m
Marcus Williams - $14.25m
Leonard Floyd - $13.3m
Hasson Reddick - $8.5m
Lavonte David - $13.3m
Denzel Perryman - $6.5m
Shelby Harris - $11.125m
Corey Linsley - $11m
David Andrews- $6m
Curtis Samuel - $8.3m

Just as one example:
Justin Simmons- $16.5
Hasson Reddick - $8.5
Denzel Perryman - $6.5
David Andrews - $6m

Simmons is a top 3 free safety in the league. Reddick was great when moved to his natural position. Perryman is a nice step up from Roberts. Andrews has been solid, an upgrade from Karras.

Now you have used the same $37.5 million to fill 4 holes instead of using it filling 2 holes and adding a 3rd player (Bell) that shouldn't see the field.

Now you can focus on adding skill players from a draft full of them. You can maybe also add a RT in the draft to kick Hunt down.

First, you don't spend top dollar for a RB in the NFL, especially one that isn't even top 5, that is overpaying. When is the last time a top dollar starting RB won a Super Bowl?

Second, you don't follow up that bad signing where you overpaid with another signing at the same position for a guy who has lost a step and trending down. Bell would be overkill and 4th on the depth chart behind Jones. Gaskins, and Ahmed

Third, I like Robinson and have no problem signing him as he can bring value, however not at $21m per which is an overpay for a guy who isn't top tier and has had an injury history.

Fourth, you have to attack free agency with a somewhat idea of what is available in the draft. For example, this is a deep draft for WR, but very weak for off ball LB to replace/upgrade from Roberts. After Parsons it gets sketchy. You also have to be smart knowing with 4 picks in the top 50 that you are better off not spending big on RB, and picking Williams/Harris/Etienne

I would much rather smartly draft our RB to pair with Gaskins/Ahmed, and smartly draft 2-3 WR from a strength of the draft, and put together a combination of guys below using that $37.5 million.

So, looking at these predictions, Aaron Jones, LeVeon Bell, and Allen Robinson total to $37.5 million per.

Justin Simmons - $16.5m
Marcus Maye - $15m
Marcus Williams - $14.25m
Leonard Floyd - $13.3m
Hasson Reddick - $8.5m
Lavonte David - $13.3m
Denzel Perryman - $6.5m
Shelby Harris - $11.125m
Corey Linsley - $11m
David Andrews- $6m
Curtis Samuel - $8.3m

Just as one example:
Justin Simmons- $16.5
Hasson Reddick - $8.5
Denzel Perryman - $6.5
David Andrews - $6m

Simmons is a top 3 free safety in the league. Reddick was great when moved to his natural position. Perryman is a nice step up from Roberts. Andrews has been solid, an upgrade from Karras.

Now you have used the same $37.5 million to fill 4 holes instead of using it filling 2 holes and adding a 3rd player (Bell) that shouldn't see the field.

Now you can focus on adding skill players from a draft full of them. You can maybe also add a RT in the draft to kick Hunt down.
Really enjoyed your post here and pretty much agree on all points except I would be highly highly surprised if Denver doesn’t tag Justin Simmons. I would be absolutely stunned if they let him walk. That’s why in my post I advocated for Marcus Williams. Very very unlikely NO can afford to keep him with their cap situation and he’s a better fit for our defense as he’s probably the best cover safety in the league. I honestly believe if we were to add Williams Simmons or Maye we would have the best secondary in the NFL.

Really enjoyed your post here and pretty much agree on all points except I would be highly highly surprised if Denver doesn’t tag Justin Simmons. I would be absolutely stunned if they let him walk. That’s why in my post I advocated for Marcus Williams. Very very unlikely NO can afford to keep him with their cap situation and he’s a better fit for our defense as he’s probably the best cover safety in the league. I honestly believe if we were to add Williams Simmons or Maye we would have the best secondary in the NFL.
Yeah, they most likely try to keep Simmons. I just wanted to show all of the potential options, and put together just one example of how we could benefit much more than the proposed deals.

This would be an absolute nightmare for Miami.

Signing Jones to a big contract instead of getting your guy in the draft is just dumb. Check the list of starting RB's and their contracts in recent super bowls.

Signing Bell to a contract after spending that much on Jones makes it even dumber, especially when you could clearly see he has lost a step when playing in KC.

Robinson is a player I like, but that price tag just isn't cutting it for me.

I look at that list and see better places to allocate funds filling holes. Draft your RB to pair with Gaskins/Ahmed, and draft 2-3 WR.
Agree, 100 percent. Too much talent in the draft at wide receiver to spend money there.
Unless you can get a bargain type.

I'd draft a running back.

That is a valid point. Except, I think Miami can easily add receivers and running backs in the draft.

Doesn't it make more sense to use free agency for pass rush, those positions that look weak in the draft?

Don't get me wrong. You are right that Miami would be closer to a championship with Robinson and Jones.

I just question if there are better ways to get there?

Back
Top Bottom