Frerotte VS. Fiedler | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte VS. Fiedler

Canadianfishfan said:
Does anyone else have more confidence in Frerotte as a back up than Fiedler?

I don't think too many people on this site would dispute that Fiedler is a good back up quarterback.

NYinBostonFin said:
Pathetic how many AJ haters there are. How about this, let this season play out before you butcher a guy that was on the ground after every play last year. I love how the AJ haters are screaming to put in gus before training camp even starts.

Here is a news flash for all you real dolphin fans.....WE WANT (or should be rooting for) AJ TO BE SUCCESSFUL AND TO BE OUR STARTER THIS YEAR.

Here is why,
He is our youngest QB with the most potential.
There is nobody on this team after him to take the reigns after he leaves that is better than a good backup.
We dont want to waste a high draft pick on a QB next year if we don't have to.
We already spent a 2nd rounder on him.

I'm not saying we should start him b/c of the trade, or give him more time b/c ferrote knows the system. But to say start gus or feeley sucks now is pathetic attitude for a dolphin fan when there is so much to be optimistic about. Give him a chance and stop the AJ sucks posts.

But that would be applying a little logic to the situation. These haters would not dream of considering what's best for the team. Hell...they know first hand, what's better for the team than Saban. There were plenty of QBs to choose from in the draft, but obviously, none measured up to what was already on the team or the HEAD COACH would have chosen one of them.

eddie4fins said:
2nd best? 1.Marino 2. Bob Griese 3.Earl Morral, Don Strock etc... But Feeley #2 lets not get over excited here! Imo even Woodley is above him at this point.
You totally missed my point.:shakeno:

painnotpleasure said:
Gus Frerotte knows the system that Scott Linehan is running. AJ Feeley is going to have to learn a whole new system when I honestly I never felt that he had learned the system last year. Then again, maybe that's a good thing. I don't see why some people feel that AJ Feeley is already the starting quarterback for this team. It's going to be an open competition, Saban has already stated that. The best man for the job will win the starting job, it's as simple as that. Frerotte already has a critical advantage of: 1.) Knowing Linehan's system and 2.) Much more experience than AJ. So in my mind, AJ is going to have to play INCREDIBLE and really prove himself if he's going to win the starting job. And in my mind... I'm not feeling so optimistic about that. But if Feeley's going to win the job he's going to have to earn it and not have it given to him... If he earns it, he deserves to be the starter.

Thank you I don't have to write my post. You stated my feelings exactly.

NYinBostonFin said:
Pathetic how many AJ haters there are. How about this, let this season play out before you butcher a guy that was on the ground after every play last year. I love how the AJ haters are screaming to put in gus before training camp even starts.

Here is a news flash for all you real dolphin fans.....WE WANT (or should be rooting for) AJ TO BE SUCCESSFUL AND TO BE OUR STARTER THIS YEAR.

Here is why,
He is our youngest QB with the most potential.
There is nobody on this team after him to take the reigns after he leaves that is better than a good backup.
We dont want to waste a high draft pick on a QB next year if we don't have to.
We already spent a 2nd rounder on him.

I'm not saying we should start him b/c of the trade, or give him more time b/c ferrote knows the system. But to say start gus or feeley sucks now is pathetic attitude for a dolphin fan when there is so much to be optimistic about. Give him a chance and stop the AJ sucks posts.

This is the first new opinion regarding the Feeley situation that I've heard in a long time. C'mon guys, we need to back all of our players, especially the potential starting QB. Everything else in this thread is just rehashed arguments. Can't we all just agree to disagree. Let's let Feeley prove how good or bad he is based on this season, instead of the Season From Hell.

gofins said:
I give Fiedler more credit than a lot of others on this board but I totally disagree with you on this statement. A.J. showed too much potential in a terrible situation. He has heart just like Fiedler does. Like many of us have said before: It's too soon to say Feeley sucks or is the 2nd best QB Miami ever had.

The exact same thing could be said about Berlin. Lets give him 2- 3 years to see what he can do. AJ is horrible. Gus is our opening day starter.

donshula72 said:
The offensive system we ran last year, guided by a currently out of work coordinator and a joke of a head coach, would've made Dan Marino look like Sage Rosenfels. Combine that with WR's not adjusting to the blitz and the lack of ability to audible and you really take the chess game out of football. You can even further it by asking yourself "when it's necessary to take the pressure off of AJ who could he hand the ball off to?" If your answer is sammy morris or wes welcker than you realize this kid needs another chance to prove himself.

Also, when turnstyle smith or swiss cheese mackintosh are your starting left tackles, and you can hear the re-occuring footsteps of DE's on every down, that high pressure situation would make even Tom Brady's decision making on point with Chris Rix's.

Not to mention he did improve a lot during the course of the year where many other players would crumble under the intense media/fan heat and just give up on the season.

He has good leadership skills and heart too.
:up:

TARHEEL38 said:
The exact same thing could be said about Berlin. Lets give him 2- 3 years to see what he can do. AJ is horrible. Gus is our opening day starter.
Are you saying a career back-up gives us the best chance to win???? Sounds awfully familiar.

I think Feeley will thrive in the new system, all he needs is to learn the playbook and let the coaching staff sit back and watch in amazement.

Why don't we just let the competition begin and see who wins the starting job?

I, for one, am NOT sold on Gus. The dude has had years to earn a starting job but seems to be a career backup. AJ impressed me at the end of the season and I think he can certainly compete w/ Gus to be a starter this year. He never got a shot w/ Wanny...only midway in the season did he start and under the worst of conditions.

I suspect AJ will surprise.....Given a decent O scheme and support cast (which he has now w/ proper coaching and new additions) he is certainly good enough to lead this team. If not....we get the luxury of a decent draft pick next year and can correct the problem. One thing for sure...Gus is NOT the answer.....LOL

I don't get some of you. What is it about Frerotte that makes you think he is so much better?

Is it his career 76.1 QB rating? Is it his career 54.6 compl. % is it his amazing 77/66 TD INT ratio? What is it?

Oh that's right. We wanna look at 2003 when he started ONLY 2 GAMES. Where he completed 38 of 65 passes for 7 td's and 2 INT'S throwing to RANDY Moss. And in that AMAZING STRETCH of 2 GAMES, HE had a QB rating of 118.1

Let's see how he did as a starter in a prolonged stretch shall we.

1995- Started 11 of 16 games. 199/396 50.3 %. 13/13 TD/INT. Rating of 70.2
1996- 16 games..... 270/470 57.4% 12 TD/11INT Rating 79.3
1997- 13 games 204/402 50.2% 17TD/12INT Rating of 73.8

Other then that we wanna focus on a 2 game stretch in 2003 when he was throwing to the same WR that made Jeff George look like a hall of famer.

You know what, looking at it now I truly understand why some of you want Frerotte. Peyton Manning eat your heart out!!

Thank you. At least somebody around here has some practical sense regarding Frerotte.

I was in shock initially when people were actually excited when Frerotte was brought on. Frerotte has not shown ANYTHING promising in any capacity outside of two and a half games in Minnesota. I have mentioned countless times that the best pass defense he faced in that stretch was ranked 25th. So, Frerotte looked like a stud heaving the ball to Randy Moss for two and a half games against scrub defenses. I watched two of those games, and I can tell you it's easy enough to figure out from the NFL play-by-play that most of his passes went to Moss. For the "vertical offense" that everybody is convinced Linehan will run, Frerotte barely threw, if at all, to his running backs, tight ends, and other wide receivers.

I'm also not sure why so many people think that the players can change at a moment's notice and completely learn somebody else's line of thinking, but that an offensive coordinator can't budge at all. I still believe Linehan will do his best to build an offensive strategy AROUND what we have, rather than simply trying to make it plug-and-play direct from Minnesota.

I think Frerotte's purpose is to provide a solid backup to Feeley. If Fiedler wasn't so damn expensive, we probably would have kept him. Fiedler has similar career stats to Frerotte and I think he's a better quarterback. Fiedler was getting paid way too much for backup status. Also, giving Frerotte a shot at starting is going to motivate AJ (and it already has, from reports at least) to improve his physical and mental toughness.

Boik14 said:
Ya but I trust him not to throw when hes being sacked in the final 2 minutes of a game unlike Aj. I also know he can read LB coverages unlike AJ. Things like that alone make him more qualified than Squealy.

How do you explain AJ's lack of int's the last couple of games..I notice when the OL started playing a little better, AJ got better fast. Hmmm, it seems that when the trenches work, other things seem to work too. Have you ever notice how much time P. Manning, T. Brady, B. Farve, D. Culpepper get in the pocket to throw. Do you think just a little bit, that might have help in their decision making, and the fact they have check downs, do you think just a little it may help them to have that extra time, just a little.?????

TARHEEL38 said:

Good post with no sustance, exactly what's makes him horrible, trying to make plays because he had no time and thus forces that resulted in TO's. Do you think you couldn't been effective behind last year's OL, and in last year's O? When the young man had time in Philly behind a real OL, even though he was young in the O, he had good coaching, and he played decently for a young qb. Philly had what Miami had when D. Marino came in for them, a good OL and supporting cast. It makes a difference. It led to a hall of frame career for Marino..If D. Marino had come into the league and started for Miami last year, I quarantee you guys would have been calling for his head too. I don't know how much football some of you have watched or learn or even played, but it takes some time to get comfortable to a new level of football, the system, and Defenses..the only way to get better is to play, and as you saw as AJ played, he got better. That my friends is reason for hope, he showed the potential and intelligence to learn from his mistakes and it came to the point that he was able to help beat the sb champs. He wouldn't have been able to do that earlier that year..this shows we have a guy who improves as he plays, that's what you want, if he had done worst than when he started, then we have a ?. I think we have a player.

Dolfndav34 said:
Why are we still talking about Fielder ? Let it go folks :shakeno:
That ERA is over, why keep bringing it up ? Lets take a deep breathe and know we have finally moved on.:eek:
WELL WRITTEN! I HOPE I NEVER HEAR FIEDLERS NAME AGAIN, UNLESS ITS.....
ANOTHER SACK BY JASON TAYLOR, AND DOWN GOES FIEDLER!

GRYPHONK said:
I don't get some of you. What is it about Frerotte that makes you think he is so much better?

Is it his career 76.1 QB rating? Is it his career 54.6 compl. % is it his amazing 77/66 TD INT ratio? What is it?

Oh that's right. We wanna look at 2003 when he started ONLY 2 GAMES. Where he completed 38 of 65 passes for 7 td's and 2 INT'S throwing to RANDY Moss. And in that AMAZING STRETCH of 2 GAMES, HE had a QB rating of 118.1

Let's see how he did as a starter in a prolonged stretch shall we.

1995- Started 11 of 16 games. 199/396 50.3 %. 13/13 TD/INT. Rating of 70.2
1996- 16 games..... 270/470 57.4% 12 TD/11INT Rating 79.3
1997- 13 games 204/402 50.2% 17TD/12INT Rating of 73.8

Other then that we wanna focus on a 2 game stretch in 2003 when he was throwing to the same WR that made Jeff George look like a hall of famer.

You know what, looking at it now I truly understand why some of you want Frerotte. Peyton Manning eat your heart out!!

It's not that he has put up Marino type numbers. It is that compared to AJ, the numbers above are pro-bowl numbers. No one is suggesting Gus is the future, it's just why waste time on someone who is worse. AJ is not gonna turn overnight into something he's not. AJ is not now nor will he ever be more than a servicable backup. Deal with it. My God this isn't brain surgery.
According to your logic, why not put in Berlin. At least he has more time to learn. There is at least more of an unknown with him. With AJ we know what we have. Why waste more time on him??:shakeno: :shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom