Frerotte VS. Fiedler | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Frerotte VS. Fiedler

jlfin said:
Intelligent and well thought out responses only, please.
That was intelligent and well thought out. try taking off the goggles AJ gave you and maybe you'd recognize that. :shakeno:

GRYPHONK said:
I don't get some of you. What is it about Frerotte that makes you think he is so much better?

Is it his career 76.1 QB rating? Is it his career 54.6 compl. % is it his amazing 77/66 TD INT ratio? What is it?

Oh that's right. We wanna look at 2003 when he started ONLY 2 GAMES. Where he completed 38 of 65 passes for 7 td's and 2 INT'S throwing to RANDY Moss. And in that AMAZING STRETCH of 2 GAMES, HE had a QB rating of 118.1

Let's see how he did as a starter in a prolonged stretch shall we.

1995- Started 11 of 16 games. 199/396 50.3 %. 13/13 TD/INT. Rating of 70.2
1996- 16 games..... 270/470 57.4% 12 TD/11INT Rating 79.3
1997- 13 games 204/402 50.2% 17TD/12INT Rating of 73.8

Other then that we wanna focus on a 2 game stretch in 2003 when he was throwing to the same WR that made Jeff George look like a hall of famer.

You know what, looking at it now I truly understand why some of you want Frerotte. Peyton Manning eat your heart out!!

I know Frerotte hasn't done much, but at least he's thrown more TD's than INT's(in his career, I'm not just talking about throwing the ball up to Moss)....What did Feeley have like 11 TD's and 15 INT's??? (And a bulk of these were returned for TD's I might add).For his career he has 19TD's and 21 INT's...I just hope we have an open competition and may the best man win. And if AJ wins the battle he better improve on those numbers this year otherwise I sure hope we invest in a QB next year.

MDFINFAN said:
How do you explain AJ's lack of int's the last couple of games..I notice when the OL started playing a little better, AJ got better fast. Hmmm, it seems that when the trenches work, other things seem to work too. Have you ever notice how much time P. Manning, T. Brady, B. Farve, D. Culpepper get in the pocket to throw. Do you think just a little bit, that might have help in their decision making, and the fact they have check downs, do you think just a little it may help them to have that extra time, just a little.?????
Indeed he did play slightly better the last 1-2 games with no pressure and nothing riding on it. Then again he did absolutely nothing to impress vs frickin cleveland in a game we won in spite of his lack of production. Time and checkdowns could help but learning how not to throw 6-8 ints a season to LB's, learning how to read Lb coverages and learning how not to throw 6 or 7 pick six's in a year would help even more.

There's basics that you need regardless of how much time you have, like the common sense not to throw a ball when your being sacked, like throwing to the team with the right uniform. He didnt show me he can do those things and I simply dont trust him (and wont trust him) not to make a big mistake in a big spot until he proves he wont a few times.

When AJ puts up a 118 Qb rating and a 7-2 TD/Int ratio like Frerotte did over 3-4 games in minny in 2003 then ill support him. I dont think he ever will though. i think hes a stiff. While I dont think Gus is a pro bowl qb I think hes a qb who knows the system and I think he knows how to manage a game effectively. I think if you need to go win a game Gus can get it done as long as hes not asked to do so on a weekly basis. Hes shown us this much in Minny and in Denver.

Thanks for playing :lol:

Well after reading these posts I have come to a conclusion. We have one of the worst Quarterback rosters in the NFL. We may very well have the worst Qb situation in all of football. I really thought Saban would do something about this. We really need to start spending draft picks and/or money on quality Qbs. Other teams castoffs and 3rd stringers just will not win in this league. Basically whichever Qb plays the least horrible will start for us. Not good, not good.

TARHEEL38 said:
The reason he wasnt giving the option to audiable was b/c he could not grasp the offense. It will be no difference this year except Saban will not put up with it and he will end up holding a clip board. Gus will start opening day and if he goes down we will be in a world of hurt this year.
Do you really think a NFL coach would not give his starting QB a set of audiables if he showed he could handle it??:shakeno:
AJ is not starting material at the NFL level. Nor at the college level for that matter. Just set back and enjoy the building process this year. We will get better one step at a time. Next year we will get a QB.

Wanny and his "offense" didn't allow for blitz hot routes (where the WRs alter their routes for a quicker throw from the QB) but instead expected the blitz to be picked up by the OL and/or any extra blocker (TE or HB).

Remember this was an offense led by a totally newbie OC, who just learned as he went along. Audibles were not part of the offense. The QB was to run the play he was given, regardless of what he actually saw out of the defense.

Wanny never really tried to teach AJ Feeley anything, he just turned to him in desperation after Fiedler choked it during the Titans games. Feeley never really had a chance last year, no QB would have.

Now, as for this year? Saban must see something in Feeley to keep him around. Getting Frerotte is a good move as he makes a good #2 QB who knows the Linehan offense. Gus is NOT the QB of the future though, not at 34. Worse case is that Feeley doesn't get any better under Saban and Gus takes over for the year. That means getting a new QB in 2006, through the draft or a vet.

I really don't understand the hatred some of you have toward AJ. He struggled in a doomed offense last year, but showed some flashes. He proves himself this year, or we get another QB. Either way Dolphin fans can rejoice.

What makes me so happy is that this won't be a repeat of Wanny and his love for an average-at-best-QB that lasted over FOUR YEARS!! :cry:

That was a pathetic time in Dolphin history, which won't be repeated by Saban.

Deus Ex Dolphin said:
Wanny and his "offense" didn't allow for blitz hot routes (where the WRs alter their routes for a quicker throw from the QB) but instead expected the blitz to be picked up by the OL and/or any extra blocker (TE or HB).

Remember this was an offense led by a totally newbie OC, who just learned as he went along. Audibles were not part of the offense. The QB was to run the play he was given, regardless of what he actually saw out of the defense.

Wanny never really tried to teach AJ Feeley anything, he just turned to him in desperation after Fiedler choked it during the Titans games. Feeley never really had a chance last year, no QB would have.

Now, as for this year? Saban must see something in Feeley to keep him around. Getting Frerotte is a good move as he makes a good #2 QB who knows the Linehan offense. Gus is NOT the QB of the future though, not at 34. Worse case is that Feeley doesn't get any better under Saban and Gus takes over for the year. That means getting a new QB in 2006, through the draft or a vet.

I really don't understand the hatred some of you have toward AJ. He struggled in a doomed offense last year, but showed some flashes. He proves himself this year, or we get another QB. Either way Dolphin fans can rejoice.

What makes me so happy is that this won't be a repeat of Wanny and his love for an average-at-best-QB that lasted over FOUR YEARS!! :cry:

That was a pathetic time in Dolphin history, which won't be repeated by Saban.
Ryan Leaf showed flashed too. So did Rick mirer and Akilli Smith. Actually all those guys had better win %'s in their starts than AJ. Ouch! :shakeno:

It comes down to this: I trust Nick Saban to have made the right choice in keeping Feeley around. I think Saban feels he can teach the kid, or that Feeley will be okay at #2 while Gus plays out the year.

Either way, the team gets better in 2006 as either Feeley is improved and more experienced, or he is gone.

I'm sorry you guys think Saban has made the first HUGE mistake of his NFL coaching career. I think Nick has taken a reasonable risk on a young QB.

Uhmmm...I have zero confidence in Fee Fee, so any confidence in Gus is better.

Boik14 said:
Ryan Leaf showed flashed too. So did Rick mirer and Akilli Smith. Actually all those guys had better win %'s in their starts than AJ. Ouch! :shakeno:

Brett Farve and Peyton showed flashes also, look how they turned out. You can twist it anyway you want to. There are facts to support both ways.

Bottom line is, give him the the chance this year since we are not going to be in the running for a SB unless he shocks us. Either way we will find out if he can handle it, or if he can't handle it. But judging him on the offense we had last year is just wrong.

jlfin said:
Intelligent and well thought out responses only, please.
You're more likely to find intelligent conversations and well thought-out posts on the smack forum than you are in the regular dolphins forum. :roflmao:

Boik14 said:
you bring Cryin' Ryan into this? How did he have better win %'s in his starts than AJ. Show us those numbers, while you are at it, show us Ryan's numbers from his first year as starter. :shakeno:

pilotfish said:
AJ, first year with starts: 86/154, 58.8, 1011 yds., 6 TDs, 5 Int., 75.4
AJ, 2nd year with starts: 191/356, 53.7, 1893, 11-15, 61.7

Steve Young, 1st year: 72/138, 52.2, 935, 3-8, 56.9
Steve Young, 2nd year: 195/363, 53.7, 2282, 8-13, 65.5

Now, I am not suggesting that AJ is the next Steve Young. I simply propose that it is way too early to give up on him. It is totally unfair to judge anyone's performance based on the Miami Dolphin's 2004 season (except Wannstedt's, of course). We had no discernable offensive system, a totally incompetent offensive line, injuries to skill players, etc. ad nauseum. How can anybody lay the blame for the total offensive ineptitude on AJ?

Hey, Tampa Bay gave up on Steve Young. He got together with an effective system and solid coaching, and he gets to go to the hall with Danny...

:cool2:

TARHEEL38 said:
Do you really think a NFL coach would not give his starting QB a set of audiables if he showed he could handle it??:shakeno:

We arent talking about the same head coach who wouldnt put him in the shotgun formation to give him a little extra time on passing downs like he did Fiedler are we ... or are you now going to say he probably didn't put Feeley in the Shotgun because he couldnt catch the longer snap.

Boik14 said:
Ya but I trust him not to throw when hes being sacked in the final 2 minutes of a game unlike Aj. I also know he can read LB coverages unlike AJ. Things like that alone make him more qualified than Squealy.

Dont you mean like Feeley and Brady. I mean hell Brady sucks those, Superbowl MVP Rings he has really are a mockery of the NFL.

Worst part is Feeley actually threw back to back TD's in that game on 3rd and 4th down, and say what you want but anyone that watched the game knows that the 3rd down pass was and should of been called a TD. Call it a duck on the 4th down pass and a great catch on DT's part or whatever you want ... point is he got it there after an emotionally draining call on the previous down.

If you didnt see Feeley improve after Bates took over as coach then you probably stopped watching the games because the Fins had a losing and embarassing season, or just simply choose to ignore it because he had some major growing pains.

Oh and for those of you out there that can at least acknowledge that a good rushing game can help your QB while a bad one can hurt hime (Not even taking into consideration how bad our OLine was)
Check out how much our leading rushers ran for last year in each game and tell me what NFL team would even consider scheming to stop our rushing attack.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teamsched?team=mia

Boik14 said:
Indeed he did play slightly better the last 1-2 games with no pressure and nothing riding on it. Then again he did absolutely nothing to impress vs frickin cleveland in a game we won in spite of his lack of production. Time and checkdowns could help but learning how not to throw 6-8 ints a season to LB's, learning how to read Lb coverages and learning how not to throw 6 or 7 pick six's in a year would help even more.

There's basics that you need regardless of how much time you have, like the common sense not to throw a ball when your being sacked, like throwing to the team with the right uniform. He didnt show me he can do those things and I simply dont trust him (and wont trust him) not to make a big mistake in a big spot until he proves he wont a few times.

When AJ puts up a 118 Qb rating and a 7-2 TD/Int ratio like Frerotte did over 3-4 games in minny in 2003 then ill support him. I dont think he ever will though. i think hes a stiff. While I dont think Gus is a pro bowl qb I think hes a qb who knows the system and I think he knows how to manage a game effectively. I think if you need to go win a game Gus can get it done as long as hes not asked to do so on a weekly basis. Hes shown us this much in Minny and in Denver.

Thanks for playing :lol:

Fair enough Boik. I do see where you are coming from in your thinking.

But just remember, it was only a 2 game stretch that Frerotte put up those #'s.

You are right, Feeley hasn't shown anything. So you will take the QB who has. That's a fair analysis.

I just personally feel that a guy who has been in the league as long as Frerotte and has shown nothing his whole career minus those 2 games, I am not gonna have confidence in him.

To me Feeley has started the equivalent of a year. Now some of us look at the last few games and saw a greatly improved Feeley. But some look at even though he improved look at the Cleveland game.

It will be interesting. I want Feeley to be the starter, but if Frerotte wins the starting job I will support him. I just want the best QB to be out there starting for the team. I trust Saban will choose wisely, whether it's Feeley, Frerotte, Rosenfels, Berling or Ramsey :wink:

Back
Top Bottom