Gardener Released!!! / Jay Williams traded for | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener Released!!! / Jay Williams traded for

not sure about pick

quite a big draft pick to give up for a one sack guy in 2001......with the pick for williams we could have another dead draft in 2003 unless we trade away ourselves......but back to point, the larry chester move and burnett move were bigger indicators than i thought....i thought he would at least start season.....not too enthused by pick we gave up..in fact i hate it......the guy better be good and why? any answers?

1. was it his back?
2. was it his attitude?
3. a combination?
4. or was it money? or do dolphins actually lose out by cutting him
5. will we miss the liability of a player with chronic back?
6. we will miss a fit talent
7 why give up a 4th? crazy imo

Im not crying, i have heard good things about J.Williams and i hated D.Gard. If the players didnt like him, then he would probably not play good with inthusiasm. So we might as well get rid of him. We need a fresh start. Why in the world would we lose money to DG??? Did we have him signed for a lot of years?????

I agree a 4th is really high especially for someone who went undraft and hasnt show that he is a true star. I think we could have gotten him for a lot lower pick maybe 6.

Hey CK. I think we got a pretty damn good bit of the Carolina line. Larry Chester was the best player on that DL. Without a doubt.

Sean Gilbert was the guy they threw in at DE. And the reason why was because of Larry Chester. We DO NOT want that guy anywhere in the vicinity of Davie, FL. We's a money guy. The Redskins gave up the 6th pick in the 1996 draft for him. Then he sat out the entire '97 season because they franchised him. Talented yes. But he's not as good a DT as Larry Chester anymore.

Also, Jay Williams base salary alone for this year is $1.65 million. I wonder what his bonus is and whether or not we're going to restructure him.

Originally posted by Ryguy1354
I agree a 4th is really high especially for someone who went undraft and hasnt show that he is a true star. I think we could have gotten him for a lot lower pick maybe 6.
tough call though Jay has started lots of games for the miserable Panthers.

from http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...fl-719gardener.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Williams, 30, is a nine-year NFL veteran, who has started 27 games for Carolina the past two seasons. The 6-foot-3, 280-pounder had six sacks in 2000 but got to the quarterback only once last season.
that's a bit scary that our 2 candidates for starting LDE had a combined 1 sack last year :eek: but both were better in 2002. At least they are both vets; so they should know what it takes to win.

I also feel like a 4th was really high. I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that.

What kinda cap hit do we take for releasing DG and how do those things work im a rookie on salary cap issues

The answer to your question about Jay Williams signing bonus figure is approximately....$0.

The Panthers traded Williams. They absorb his entire signing bonus. We just pay the base salary.

Personally I'm glad DG got released just not quite happy with the 4th round pick for Williams until I see results. I'm not jumping on a bandwagon, anyone thats followed my posts or seen them at all should probably know that I've been advocating Gardener's release for about 3 weeks now.

Where's VanDolPhan? I believe I was arguing with his "calculations" that he made about how much we lose/save if we cut DG. I pretty much just made an educated guess that we'd save some money, based on the fact that we've heard from three different sources that DG's release is possible. You dont release a guy to take a cap hit unless he's a real cancer holdout threat or something, is what I said. Well, evidently we got enough savings to sign a guy who brings with him a $1.65 million cap hit which would have been more than enough to sign Josh Evans, and almost enough to sign Sam Adams with a creatively structured deal.

I'm just hoping that the Dolphins coaches see something in Jay Williams that we definitely do not.

All I can say is that our defense went down-hill last year when Gardner started hurting. I don't think that Bowens is the player that he once was and Zack is starting to show some miles too. Gardner made the defense dominant. These guys couldn't cut him any slack for the sake of the team?

Well let me tell you my friend who is a big carolina panthers fan is happy ...He is laughing right now on how stupid dolphins were to trade a fourth round pick for that Jay Williams..I'm talking about a man who watch all 16 panthers game last seaon...He says that William didn't show any thing last season and panthers just wanted unload him that bad ...They would gladly pay entire signing bonus ....I can't believe they cut Gardner .....I just hope Buffalo doesn't sign him and he makes it to his first probowl....
Anyways the bigger shock sending 4th round pick for Williams..I really don't know what they are thinking especially how they will be salary cap wise in the next couple of years.They need those draft picks to add talent....A conditional sixth round pick would have made more sense..Well the release doesn't bother me too much because now DE will be wide open..I'm hoping some how either Bowens or Agulaye (how ever it spell) start at END....

olonguye/bowens(D)

not a glowing indicator of how well these guys are thought of, that they spend a 4th rnd pick on a 31yr old with a 1.65m cap hit and in last season.....i'll be first to say i was wrong if williams is a hit here, but at moment would have been happier keeping wallace and promoting one of these 2

hey why are we signing a DT to replace DG when he was set to play DE shouldnt we have sign/traded for a DE
any thoughts

Back
Top Bottom