Gardener Released!!! / Jay Williams traded for | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener Released!!! / Jay Williams traded for

umm Jay william is a DE....

Wow I read at espn.com that Miami is already talking about contract extension to Jay Williams..Wow I wouldn't offer anything to this guy until end of season...I wouldn't be surprise if Bowens and Ogunleye move ahead him during camp...

the contract ext might be to lessen the hit for 2002. I would expect him and Burnett to compete for the starting LDE spot and also for a spot in pass rushing downs as a DT

Originally posted by dolphan39
the contract ext might be to lessen the hit for 2002. I would expect him and Burnett to compete for the starting LDE spot and also for a spot in pass rushing downs as a DT

What cap hit ??? He will be a free agent after this year....

Now the big question is the cap hit we will be taking>??? Any one has a clue??

Originally posted by minus

What cap hit ??? He will be a free agent after this year....
I meant the 1.6 mil in salary, not to mention whatever portion is left of DGs bonus and/or guaranteed sal.

Contract extension won't affect the cap hit that we will be taking from Gardner contract....

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by minus
Contreact extension won't affect the cap hit that we will be taking from Gardner contract....
true but if he gets say 1 Mil in 2002 rather than 1.6 then we have 600K net more, but DGs hit is fixed now that he is released

The way I see is since Gardner open up 3 mil cap space this year (got it from espn) then why even bother extending his contract.I doub't he will want to take less than 1 mil per seaon.Right now we have no clue who will end up winning the spot and how depth charts will look..I wouldn't want to pay a guy who we have no clue how he will end up in depth charts by end of the season..Sure they say he will compete for starting Job but HOPEFULLY he will be outplayed by Bowens and Ogunleye ..I wouldn't want to commit any more money to an aging player who won't get any better especially now that we might be looking at a big cap hit.....

wtf? are we trying to import last years worst defense to miami? i have been so stoked about this season until now...a 4th rounder for williams? wtf? and a player? was wanny and spiel out drinking late last night with carolina's gm?

can ANYONE please comfort me?

Ok I don't know salary cap numbers

But would this have worked instead?

Miami trades DG to Carolina for Jay Williams? I mean, I'm tired of us giving our future away.

And would our cap situation have been better if that happened?

No that wouldn't have worked. The reason Carolina traded Jay Williams is because they didn't even have enough money to sign their rookies. So you give away a guy counting $2 million against your cap because you can't afford him and you trade him for a guy who will count $2.7 million against your cap? A 4th rounder isn't that big of a deal it just seems that way because a 4th rounder has been like the 2nd or 3rd highest pick we've had for 2 of the past 3 years. But that doesn't mean Jay Williams is WORTH the 4th rounder...I still dont know what they were thinking on that one.

I just cant believe we saved 3 million cutting DG. If I knew we were saving THAT much I would have been screaming even harder for DGs release than I already was. What a lot of people here keep failing to understand or even take note of is that DG was NO LONGER A DT for the Dolphins. He was a LDE. One that probably would have gotten no passrush pressure, and would have basically functioned as Kenny Mixon on roids....to the tune of like $7 million against the cap. Well I say PFVCK that. The DOCTORS are the ones that recommended that Daryl move to end. It wasn't like the team just thought of it all the sudden and said "eh maybe it'll allow him to last a full season" No, medical science told the Phins that DG won't make it a full season unless you move him to End. So thats why the Phins were moving him to End, because they HAD to. And once that happens you step back and look at the situation and say hmm....$7 million a year for Kenny Mixon on roids...hmmm.....no passrush pressure, but he'll sure hold up at the point of attack!....on the left side of the line away from probably half the running plays...

Like I said, PFVCK THAT, especially now that we know we saved $3 million by cutting DG...or at least according to ESPN.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
No that wouldn't have worked. The reason Carolina traded Jay Williams is because they didn't even have enough money to sign their rookies. So you give away a guy counting $2 million against your cap because you can't afford him and you trade him for a guy who will count $2.7 million against your cap? A 4th rounder isn't that big of a deal it just seems that way because a 4th rounder has been like the 2nd or 3rd highest pick we've had for 2 of the past 3 years. But that doesn't mean Jay Williams is WORTH the 4th rounder...I still dont know what they were thinking on that one.

I just cant believe we saved 3 million cutting DG. If I knew we were saving THAT much I would have been screaming even harder for DGs release than I already was. What a lot of people here keep failing to understand or even take note of is that DG was NO LONGER A DT for the Dolphins. He was a LDE. One that probably would have gotten no passrush pressure, and would have basically functioned as Kenny Mixon on roids....to the tune of like $7 million against the cap. Well I say PFVCK that. The DOCTORS are the ones that recommended that Daryl move to end. It wasn't like the team just thought of it all the sudden and said "eh maybe it'll allow him to last a full season" No, medical science told the Phins that DG won't make it a full season unless you move him to End. So thats why the Phins were moving him to End, because they HAD to. And once that happens you step back and look at the situation and say hmm....$7 million a year for Kenny Mixon on roids...hmmm.....no passrush pressure, but he'll sure hold up at the point of attack!....on the left side of the line away from probably half the running plays...

Like I said, PFVCK THAT, especially now that we know we saved $3 million by cutting DG...or at least according to ESPN.

4th ounder does matter because Drafting players in any round doesn't gurantee they will be any good.Now the fact that we will be loosing already maybe 2nd round pick..If you watch Best Damn sports show yesterday Zach was emphasizing that they only have 1 or two seasons because of the salary cap.Yeah cutting DG open 3 mil this year but the cap hit will start affecting the phins next year..We need those draft pick to refill our depth charts and to find talent..The more picks you got better chances you have of finding a gem .....

Back
Top Bottom