Gardener Released!!! / Jay Williams traded for | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gardener Released!!! / Jay Williams traded for

Im happy DG is no longer on the team to run his big mouth, I prey the Jints or Barfalo don't sign him!!

4th ounder does matter because Drafting players in any round doesn't gurantee they will be any good.Now the fact that we will be loosing already maybe 2nd round pick..If you watch Best Damn sports show yesterday Zach was emphasizing that they only have 1 or two seasons because of the salary cap.Yeah cutting DG open 3 mil this year but the cap hit will start affecting the phins next year..We need those draft pick to refill our depth charts and to find talent..The more picks you got better chances you have of finding a gem .....

Thats actually not true. Any repercussions we face for cutting DG are bigger in this year than they are next year because this year we cut his base salary down some. It being after June 1st, whatever portion of his signing bonus that has not yet been depreciated will get accelerated, and it is split up into half this year half next year. So we save $3 million this year for cutting Daryl Gardener, and more likely than not we save $4 million next year because of it. Whereas, if we cut him next year before June 1st, we'd probably only save $2 million. If we cut him after June 1st next year we'd probably have saved $5 million however the free agent pickings would be slim so $4 million at the start of free agency is probably better than $5 million on June 1st.

It was a good move in my opinion. The only real problem now is that Daryl will no longer be playing. In terms of salary cap, this was the way to feel the least possible sting longterm and short term.

We need not worry about Buffalo taking him. Buffalo can't even offer Sam Adams a 1-year contract. I wouldn't be suprised if training camp started and DG didn't have a new team. He's a head case right now and he's an injury risk. If anyone signs him, it won't be for big money. And Daryl Gardener wants big money. So it might be awhile until he finds a new home.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
4th ounder does matter because Drafting players in any round doesn't gurantee they will be any good.Now the fact that we will be loosing already maybe 2nd round pick..If you watch Best Damn sports show yesterday Zach was emphasizing that they only have 1 or two seasons because of the salary cap.Yeah cutting DG open 3 mil this year but the cap hit will start affecting the phins next year..We need those draft pick to refill our depth charts and to find talent..The more picks you got better chances you have of finding a gem .....

Thats actually not true. Any repercussions we face for cutting DG are bigger in this year than they are next year because this year we cut his base salary down some. It being after June 1st, whatever portion of his signing bonus that has not yet been depreciated will get accelerated, and it is split up into half this year half next year. So we save $3 million this year for cutting Daryl Gardener, and more likely than not we save $4 million next year because of it. Whereas, if we cut him next year before June 1st, we'd probably only save $2 million. If we cut him after June 1st next year we'd probably have saved $5 million however the free agent pickings would be slim so $4 million at the start of free agency is probably better than $5 million on June 1st.

It was a good move in my opinion. The only real problem now is that Daryl will no longer be playing. In terms of salary cap, this was the way to feel the least possible sting longterm and short term.

I really don't know too much about NFL salary cap and its the most complicated salary cap out of all major sports..Assuming your calculations are correct than its a good move but if your wrong ....

BTW If you watch Best Damn sports show yesterday Zach was emphasizing that they only have 1 or two seasons because of the salary cap..Either way salary cap for Dolphins doesn't look good...Also today on local Fox sport interview with Fiedler he said the same thing about having one or two years left to bring super bowl to Miami.....

I can see why Fiedler says that. He's only got 1 or 2 years left under CONTRACT. Basically the contract he signed is a 2 year deal with a possible 3rd year if we like him that much or can't find a replacement by then.

Zach was referring to his own salary, Jason Taylor's salary, Tim Bowens salary, Sam Madison's salary, and Patrick Surtain's salaries getting too hefty in 2 years to keep all of them and its true.

But releasing DG's salary NOW actually helps alleviate a LOT of that in 2 years because we wont have any dead money whatsoever from DG. I'm not sure about Clayton's figure of $6 million dead money because I know I've read that the accelerated bonus gets split in half after June 1st, and $6 million is NOT half of the accelerated bonus. Either way whatever the dead money figure is you do know that its more savings than if we kept DG on the roster, more savings than if we let go of him right after the season, and less savings in 2003 but WAY more savings in 2004 than if we waited til June 1st 2003 to release him. Coaches did the right thing provided they use the space they've created wisely to grab some help that might not have been available after June 1st 2003.

The team has the OPTION to split the remaining balance. Maybe we chose not to. I don't know. Just throwing it out there......

If we chose not to split the remaining balance, then we would be paying it all this year, no?

Can a team choose how much to pay this year and how much next year at their discretion??? If so that seems weird and if thats so then I do trust the coaches to make the right decision about that.

I think you're right. You either pay it all now or half and half. Can't defer it all to next year.

basicly phins will be clearing up more spcae to split it between this year and next year cap.....

I know you cant defer it ALL to next year's cap...but perhaps the league allows you to decide how much you accelerate in each year.

Your wrong Parrot head. This is what happens. By waiting till after june 1st you pay you take the number that would have been his signing bonus hit for this year=signing bonus/by numbers of years of his salary(roughly less than 1 mill, but in DGs case even less since he just renagotiated that changed his salary bonus in to incentives for this season) Then you absorb the rest of the signing bonus the following year. That is why so many teams wait till after june 1st to release players. Because their base salary would deffinitly be a bigger hit than his signing bonus for 1 year. That is how Len came up with the 6mill number.

Originally posted by Dajesus
Your wrong Parrot head. This is what happens. By waiting till after june 1st you pay you take the number that would have been his signing bonus hit for this year=signing bonus/by numbers of years of his salary(roughly less than 1 mill, but in DGs case even less since he just renagotiated that changed his salary bonus in to incentives for this season) Then you absorb the rest of the signing bonus the following year. That is why so many teams wait till after june 1st to release players. Because their base salary would deffinitly be a bigger hit than his signing bonus for 1 year. That is how Len came up with the 6mill number.

That sucked some of the 3rd sentance got cut off. this is what it should have said. By waiting till june 1st you only lose the amount of the singing bonus that was to be paid this season against the cap. The rest gets counted the following season. Or something like that...oh just forget it i had my chance and i blew it...blah blah blah.

Back
Top Bottom