Gauging Josh Rosen Should Be Top Priority In Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gauging Josh Rosen Should Be Top Priority In Miami

You guys are funny. He can't even beat out a journeyman QB but you want to throw him into a game to "evaluate" him better.

I imagine most of you thinking that were apologists for Ryan Tannehill too. If he couldn't do it with Arizona, he can't do it with Miami.

Josh Rosen does not have the telwnt to be a starter plain and simple. He will get lucky to see the field and rightfully so. Scrubs don't get a pass just to justify a bad trade.

These are two separate arguments. If Rosen is put in a position to succeed and does not, that's one thing. If he's not (like in Arizona) that's quite another. The difference this time, as opposed to what happened with Tannehill, is that we actually have a benchmark for that: Fitzpatrick. If Fitz succeeds under the same circumstances that Rosen fails under, then we'll know.

The Tannehill argument will never end, regarding whether he could have succeeded under less than completely awful circumstances.

Which could easily happen.

Of course all that would do is show the dichotomy between those who like the pick, saying it fine to sit him until he is ready, and those who don't like the pick, saying "I told you so".

Also correct. If Rosen does not beat out Fitz, and even does not start at ALL in 2019, there is no harm in picking a QB in round 1 and letting Rosen and that guy compete. Rosen is under team control for three years. if he doesn't start this year, he learns. If he doesn't start next year, he should be a decent backup. Life goes on.

Also correct. If Rosen does not beat out Fitz, and even does not start at ALL in 2019, there is no harm in picking a QB in round 1 and letting Rosen and that guy compete. Rosen is under team control for three years. if he doesn't start this year, he learns. If he doesn't start next year, he should be a decent backup. Life goes on.

That's the one safe thing about the Rosen trade, he might be the most valuable QB2 in the league considering his contract for us/ years remaining/ upside.

It's a 3-4 year try out, hopefully it works out because it was a risk to use a 2nd, albeit a good one imo. Time will tell.

That's the one safe thing about the Rosen trade, he might be the most valuable QB2 in the league considering his contract for us/ years remaining/ upside.

It's a 3-4 year try out, hopefully it works out because it was a risk to use a 2nd, albeit a good one imo. Time will tell.

This exactly. At the absolute worst case scenario?

He's the next DeShone Kizer.

Edit: Comparison to Kizer is obviously from a team investment in draft pick, not in skillset.

Rosen is going to look absolutely great behind Tua.

And if he's a nice boy who enjoys Miami, he may even consider a cheap 2nd contract if his stock is low by the time his rookie contract expires.

QB2 is actually a very valuable and underrated position on an NFL football team, he should at least be good for that or the trade is a bust.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if he's a nice boy who enjoys Miami, he may even consider a cheap 2nd contract if his stock is low by the time his rookie contract expires.

QB2 is actually a very valuable and underrated position on an NFL football team, he should at least be good for that or the trade is a bust.

No doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting the first pick should be the #1 priority.

Josh Rosen helps that cause more than Ryan Fitzpatrick
I disagree wholeheartedly about the first pick.
What do you do, have the entire team working their a$$es off to win games, and put a substandard QB on the field which negates their efforts?
I don't have a favorite in the QB competition, so you could be right in thinking Rosen gives us a better chance to lose, but I'm not looking for this new staff to tank a season for a frigging draft pick.
It seems as though the staff has begun to instill a new "culture" with this team up to this point. How would you feel as player if it seemed all of your efforts to win were negated by a coach playing for the first draft pick?
Seems like a great way to lose the locker room.

I disagree wholeheartedly about the first pick.
What do you do, have the entire team working their a$$es off to win games, and put a substandard QB on the field which negates their efforts?
I don't have a favorite in the QB competition, so you could be right in thinking Rosen gives us a better chance to lose, but I'm not looking for this new staff to tank a season for a frigging draft pick.
It seems as though the staff has begun to instill a new "culture" with this team up to this point. How would you feel as player if it seemed all of your efforts to win were negated by a coach playing for the first draft pick?
Seems like a great way to lose the locker room.

Not at all.

This is a substandard team. Some pieces are good and worth keeping but most are replacement level talents.

Miami is going all in next off-season, as you can tell with the shedding of contracts to eat dead money this year and accumulate as much picks as possible. It's been obvious for awhile now. Getting the 1st pick just makes it even easier because you have all the qbs to evaluate and see what fits your team the best. Will Miami get the 1st pick? Probably not, but they will be close to the top without trying to lose with either qb starting. I don't want a wasted year as a fan, but if it leads to Tua or Jordan Love and they become elite then we won't remember this year and it won't matter anymore.

You Play To Win The Game!

I heard Rosen has been 3rd best QB. :shame:

Having said that...preseason games will give us a "real" evaluation
We learned the hard way in Buffalo the danger of evaluating a quarterback in preseason games. The problem is that you aren't playing a defense that has gamed planned for the quarterback. We ended up starting Late Nate Peterman last season, and it was a disaster. It was probably the biggest mistake Sean McDermott has made. Once the real season started, the first game we played against a defense (the Ravens) that game planned for him, he was exposed for the training camp champ that he is. The same scenario with Peterman is currently playing out in Oakland, with Jon Gruden declaring, "This Nate Peterman guy is growing on me," and from a distance, it's hilarious.

IMO, you find out more about your quarterback in a scrimmage where your D is playing against his weaknesses, than vs. a D that is evaluating their own talent.

Not at all.

This is a substandard team. Some pieces are good and worth keeping but most are replacement level talents.

Miami is going all in next off-season, as you can tell with the shedding of contracts to eat dead money this year and accumulate as much picks as possible. It's been obvious for awhile now..
I don't see the roster as "substandard". I see the roster full of younger, hungrier players. That beats the players that we shed in order to load up for the future. I don't see the doom and gloom that many see, with us barely winning 3 or 4 games. I think we're gonna surprise a lot of teams, and compete, winning our fair share.

I don't see the roster as "substandard". I see the roster full of younger, hungrier players. That beats the players that we shed in order to load up for the future. I don't see the doom and gloom that many see, with us barely winning 3 or 4 games. I think we're gonna surprise a lot of teams, and compete, winning our fair share.

This team won't be 0-16 but the roster is lacking blue chip players at key spots. Until they find them they will have trouble consistently winning games. Sure Miami will have some surprise wins because I believe Flores and his staff are damn good so far.

But until Miami has a high level qb no games matter IMO until then.

I'm not a fan of Fitz playing just because I could see Miami winning a couple of meaningless games and dropping out of a top draft position and I think acquiring a QB through the draft is most likely the best route to obtain one next year. Nor do I want Miami to have to give multiple draft picks accumulated for 2020 draft, possibly future 1st round as well, to trade up a few spots and get a QB.

Having said that, I don't think the coaches necessarily need to put Rosen in a game to guage him this year. If Rosen isn't wowing them in practice, they have enough tape of him playing in Arizona last year to know he doesn't turn into someone special by elevating his level of play and the play of those around him during games. If that was the type of QB he is then he would still be in Arizona.

Kizers a really wierd comp.

He couldn’t execute anything but zone read maybe a splash of pistol

Doubt it...we start with 4 playoff teams, unless this O-line shocks the world...I suspect Fitz may not survive the first four, if he does....it probably won’t be pretty!

Look for Rosen to start game 5 against the Skins after the bye.

He needs more time to get ready anyway...12 games is plenty to make a decision on.

Back
Top Bottom