Give Minkah a break | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give Minkah a break

I'm hearing Miami is asking for a 1st, in talks with the Steelers.

Where would the Steelers play him? I think that window may be closing also. Maybe not as much as the Carolina window is closing but closing none the less.

Ju ju as a go to #1 seems ambitious

You're right, they don't make athletes much better today than the days of Yore. It's a different generation of people not just in sports but in the general population. If we stay stuck in the days of Yore we are always going to be left behind. This is a business, it's ok for teams to look at it that way so why shouldn't players? He's looking for his second contract and the way the Dolphins are using him he'll be lucky to get one.
I said I can understand it given how dysfunctional the work environment is at this football team. I’d argue the one “big 4” sport that hasn’t been completely corrupted is the NHL - guys play their hearts out - through injuries, sacrificing to block shots, rarely talking **** - it’s still an old school game in many ways as the primary reason you play is to compete and win - the $ are secondary for most of these guys. Football has just gotten too big but I’m careening off topic.

Where would the Steelers play him? I think that window may be closing also. Maybe not as much as the Carolina window is closing but closing none the less.

Ju ju as a go to #1 seems ambitious

Safety would be the position.

Lol, super ambitious. Ben is on the decline tho

Good thing I'm not upset then. I'd hate to think you're calling me a hypocrite or anything else. For the record, I injured my back at age 21 and have never been sure I could finish my career and reap the financial rewards that come later. In fact I could have gone on some sort of social assistance because of it and never worked a day in my life if I had chosen that route. I remember my father joking about that when I was really hurt at age 22, because he knew it was the last thing I would do. Back then I wondered where I would be in the future if I started out by quitting and living on assistance. Probably sitting around in a crappy apartment hooked on Doritos and X-box in very poor health. I wanted to be a starter in life, not a bench warmer. Through a lot of work (about an hour a day) and maintenance and probably some luck, I have missed only a few days of work because of my back over 28 years.
I also am watching young people quit in record numbers and less and less young people coming into my field right now because conditions are worse than ever. For mental health reasons some can't continue. In short, there were/are no guarantees in my career either. Not nearly. But being paid a couple of million up front in year 1 would have actually taken a lot of pressure off. In fact, anybody that doesn't get enough to be set for life in year 1 has to live with the knowledge that they are an injury or illness away from dire financial circumstances. Anybody could fall off a ladder or become critically ill. So your right, it's not quite the same. Minkah has it easier with over 16 Million guaranteed at signing.
I very much see his point of view, (I said I can empathize completely) and that is why I took the time to comment. I see it, I just can't support it (I said I can't sympathize). I hate losing too. I absolutely get the frustration of knowing you are not succeeding like you know you can because of a boss getting in the way of you doing your best. If anybody out there has never experienced this they are very lucky because it is very common. I think it is it's very rare to always get everything the way you want it. Some like Minkah apparently expect it and I can't sympathize with them. It's not a product of too much pressure about his future, it's having it too good in his past. I guarantee you if he knew he had to play well and be a good teammate and employee for a few years before getting paid enough to live on, he would not be acting this way. He knows he is already set so he doesn't have to really watch himself when frustrated, so he doesn't have to grow as a person and eat it for now, like our 2 runningbacks making less than half a million. Those guys very likely will not finish with enough to live on in their careers, but if they can be good citizens and play well they might. So although I don't know them as people, I would expect the last thing Laird and Walton will do is jeopardize that and complain. If they had 16M up front they might. I don't know them, but it becomes less likely the less set you are IMO. So I guess I completely disagree with you on that point, although anybody who disagrees with me is not automatically a hypocrite.
Minkah doesn't upset me, it just makes me think he is weak-minded and lacks perseverance. Coping skills.
Perhaps we need to make this simpler. At any time in your career, was your company actively and deliberately trying to go bankrupt? If so, had you decided to tell your boss that you are concerned about the future with said company, and the only answer the boss can give you is that once the bankruptcy is complete, they will be hiring the most talented manager they have ever seen to turn the company around, is that good enough to keep you 100% loyal to your company? Oh yeah, the new manager as it turns out, has never managed anything outside of college. Still feeling secure? And BTW, you will need to spend your tenure on this sinking ship out of your normal position.

Turns out that there are 31 other companies out there, many of which would love to hire you and are even willing to compensate your old company while doing it. As a bonus, they intend to use your strengths, pay you more, and offer you a chance to accomplish the highest level achievement possible in your career. That is quite a promotion.

Would anyone in their right mind not move to the new company? Would anyone blame them for doing so? I dare say, your intelligence would be questioned for staying at the old company. Saying other employees who lack enough skill to be hired at other companies are staying an being loyal so you should too just isn’t a valid reason for you to stay,because your situations couldn’t be less equivalent.

They have that Davis kid from Maryland I believe. He’s not bad. Who’s the free safety? What’s their current other safety starter?

Sean Davis can't stay on the field, and Kameron Kelly played horrible vs the Patriots.

I agree inactive today and he’s half way out the door.

I want him active cause I’m not kidding about the effect this arrogance on our end can have on that qb in bama.

And that should be primary over everything else for Miami. End of story
Always respect your opinions @hoops, but I have to strenuously disagree here. I'm not a big Tua fan anyway, but that is a different discussion.

You don't, in any situation, allow a player (especially a young, unproven whiny one) to influence decision making. The old "lunatics can't run the asylum" quote is appropriate here. It sets a terrible example going forward, and effectively neuters management. It is no way to run any organization, let alone one full of Alpha type personalities. Once you allow those things to manifest, you might as well blow it all up again (players included), and start over.

Sean Davis can't stay on the field, and Kameron Kelly played horrible vs the Patriots.

Is that the former San Diego state kid? Eegads. Yeah Steelers would make a ton of sense

And make us look bad for it in tbe process

I agree inactive today and he’s half way out the door.

I want him active cause I’m not kidding about the effect this arrogance on our end can have on that qb in bama.

And that should be primary over everything else for Miami. End of story

Problem is no one believes this can happen. They somehow believe it is impossible for Tua to not declare, or refuse to sign and force a trade if Miami does draft him. They apparently have no idea about draft history. Remember when Cleveland thought they drafted their franchise QB in John Elway?

Always respect your opinions @hoops, but I have to strenuously disagree here. I'm not a big Tua fan anyway, but that is a different discussion.

You don't, in any situation, allow a player (especially a young, unproven whiny one) to influence decision making. The old "lunatics can't run the asylum" quote is appropriate here. It sets a terrible example going forward, and effectively neuters management. It is no way to run any organization, let alone one full of Alpha type personalities. Once you allow those things to manifest, you might as well blow it all up again (players included), and start over.

Yeah I’m sorry but history with the colts and Peyton Manning and Andrew luck even has told me different. Yeah lucks career might be over but if you asked the colts owner would be do it any different in terms of the luck pick his answer would be a definitive hell no. And he’d be dead right.

I’m gonna do whatever it takes to land that difference maker qb. I don’t care how many asses I have to kiss or how many people I have to piss off.

I want to win period. I’m tired of the bs. Bottom line. I’m not here scraping years off my life and maybe my marriage even for nothing. Win dammit.

I said I can understand it given how dysfunctional the work environment is at this football team. I’d argue the one “big 4” sport that hasn’t been completely corrupted is the NHL - guys play their hearts out - through injuries, sacrificing to block shots, rarely talking **** - it’s still an old school game in many ways as the primary reason you play is to compete and win - the $ are secondary for most of these guys. Football has just gotten too big but I’m careening off topic.

I feel that the salaries for the highest paid players are grossly inflated.

I wonder what would happen if the NFL reduced cap space by 50%. Then offered shares into the NFL which paid dividends on how much profit was made each season. Those shares would be good while the players are employed by the NFL and for 4 seasons after they aren't playing football. This would also apply to coaches.

I suspect we would still have some prima donnas, but that they wouldn't have any basis for their monetary demands.

As for complaints about dealing with the injuries they receive, let them get the same benefits our military vets get. Vets get worse injuries and a level of fatalities that make NFL players whines look pitiful!

Is that the former San Diego state kid? Eegads. Yeah Steelers would make a ton of sense

And make us look bad for it in tbe process

Yeah that's him,

Is there a single player in the NFL you haven't heard of lol.

Back
Top Bottom