Give Minkah a break | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give Minkah a break

I don't take it as derogatory, thanks for mentioning that though. But I do want to clear up a few incorrect assumptions that you may have about me. I won't say what I do, but I do fine, actually (and yes it's completely legal :lol: ). I think my ability to live within my means has over teh years become easy from practice, so I don;t have to sit around yearning to be on easy street. I also knew going in what the ceiling was in my line of work, so I couldn't complain even if I wanted to look back at other things I could have done that would have paid more. My career has been pretty interesting through its ups and downs and I count that as part of it as well. I would not describe it as a fun career, but it was interesting as I certainly never sat around waiting for quitting time so I 'm thankful.
When I started out at age 22, I made a small fraction of what I make now. I guarantee you I was outworking every single person in the building and making much less than almost everyone until about my early 30's. In fact I remember it was 7 years into my career before I made as much as I made during my summer job while in university. I would say I continued to be in the top 5% for work ethic and results up until about 2 years ago but I still remain highly scored when evaluated by my boss, even as my career winds down and I prepare to balance work and life before retiring. I was happy just to be making a living at age 22 and not living at home like many of my peers. But I knew at some point I would probably be rewarded for my hard work and I was, by getting nicer positions and more money. So, no, it didn't bother me to be making less than people who were doing the same as me, or even less in most cases, because I knew I would eventually be one of the higher paid people in the building and now I am. Had I complained I probably would have been given crappy positions and eventually quit and done something else that probably would have paid less and wouldn't be where I am now, preparing to retire in 2 to 4 years at age 53 or 55. Most years have been fairly reasonable, but I have had some horrific years and some horrific bosses along the way and my wife will tell you I did my share of venting at home, but that's where it stops. You get up in the morning and you go make a living. When my co workers would complain about any new load of crap being dumped on our plates I used to joke, "But we still get paid for this, right?", kind of reminding them that it's work so it's not always fun. You just do it anyway. I actually even had my contract broken and it cost me quite a bit of money when I was 25 or 26. That really bothered me but I stayed with my plan and it has paid off. Had it broken again a couple of years ago and my new contract will probably suck to end my career, but I can either go to work or quit. My choice.
So was I perfect at age 22? Not nearly! But I was much better than Minkah has been, with much less money and much less potential for money. I can empathize with Minkah's situation completely having lived it from the aspect of comparing incomes to my colleagues as you described, but I handled it much better at the same age and that is why I cannot sympathize.
I appreciate everything you wrote. I understand working your way up through nothing, believe me. That said, there is one other thing to considerhere, and that is potential career length. Most people can afford to start entry level and be patient, as most can safely assume that their career paths are going to mature over a very long time. In NFL football, it is extremely volatile, with a high probability that you may never even get to sign an extension after your rookie contract, and certainly your third extension is quite rare. When every year might be your last, you can’t afford to be so patient.

Listen, I am not really defending Minkah, so much as saying it is easy to understand his position and it is a perfectly reasonable and very defendable position, especially when you consider every angle. We can differ on whether or not it is the most professional move, but what I really can’t fathom is the anger towards him by people who want the franchise to tank. To tank, talent has to leave. Good players who want to win will be angry at the direction of the team, and thus, will want to leave. Why is it ok to gut the franchise and trade players like Tunsil and Stills, but it makes people angry that Minkah wants a trade? Shouldn’t everyone be thrilled for another pick? Tunsil was a much better player than Minkah after all.

The only explanation I have is that Minkah wanting out makes tankers nervous that maybe no FAs will want to sign here. Maybe Flores will fail as badly as every other NE rooted coach has. Maybe Minkah leaving makes Tua not declare or unwilling to sign if drafted. Honestly, any other reason to be upset about this makes no sense and is the very height of hypocrisy.

Some players will switch from offense to defense or different positions to play in the NFL, Minkah expects the Dolphins to build the team around where he wants to play. He was complaining about it last year, so now he wants to quit. I think this regime is looking for more of the former, winners not whiners.

Yea..I’m a BAMA guy.,love Minkah..but if he’s a locker room problem and wants out..he can pound rocks..but if we get rid of him ..get value..don’t just give him away...build the culture..

imo hes no locker room problem, a few players came to his defense publicly as did flores. i'm sure more people have his back privately, and they are not giving this kid away by any means. First round pick minimum. If he wants to go on the field and mope it will be on tape and effect his future earnings. I have faith moving forward he will be more professional. I don't think asking for a trade makes him unprofessional, what makes it unprofessional is wanting out after 1 game like this was some huge surprise the way we lost. and Op is right, this is about him experience losing for the first time.

I appreciate everything you wrote. I understand working your way up through nothing, believe me. That said, there is one other thing to considerhere, and that is potential career length. Most people can afford to start entry level and be patient, as most can safely assume that their career paths are going to mature over a very long time. In NFL football, it is extremely volatile, with a high probability that you may never even get to sign an extension after your rookie contract, and certainly your third extension is quite rare. When every year might be your last, you can’t afford to be so patient.

Listen, I am not really defending Minkah, so much as saying it is easy to understand his position and it is a perfectly reasonable and very defendable position, especially when you consider every angle. We can differ on whether or not it is the most professional move, but what I really can’t fathom is the anger towards him by people who want the franchise to tank. To tank, talent has to leave. Good players who want to win will be angry at the direction of the team, and thus, will want to leave. Why is it ok to gut the franchise and trade players like Tunsil and Stills, but it makes people angry that Minkah wants a trade? Shouldn’t everyone be thrilled for another pick? Tunsil was a much better player than Minkah after all.

The only explanation I have is that Minkah wanting out makes tankers nervous that maybe no FAs will want to sign here. Maybe Flores will fail as badly as every other NE rooted coach has. Maybe Minkah leaving makes Tua not declare or unwilling to sign if drafted. Honestly, any other reason to be upset about this makes no sense and is the very height of hypocrisy.
Good thing I'm not upset then. I'd hate to think you're calling me a hypocrite or anything else. For the record, I injured my back at age 21 and have never been sure I could finish my career and reap the financial rewards that come later. In fact I could have gone on some sort of social assistance because of it and never worked a day in my life if I had chosen that route. I remember my father joking about that when I was really hurt at age 22, because he knew it was the last thing I would do. Back then I wondered where I would be in the future if I started out by quitting and living on assistance. Probably sitting around in a crappy apartment hooked on Doritos and X-box in very poor health. I wanted to be a starter in life, not a bench warmer. Through a lot of work (about an hour a day) and maintenance and probably some luck, I have missed only a few days of work because of my back over 28 years.
I also am watching young people quit in record numbers and less and less young people coming into my field right now because conditions are worse than ever. For mental health reasons some can't continue. In short, there were/are no guarantees in my career either. Not nearly. But being paid a couple of million up front in year 1 would have actually taken a lot of pressure off. In fact, anybody that doesn't get enough to be set for life in year 1 has to live with the knowledge that they are an injury or illness away from dire financial circumstances. Anybody could fall off a ladder or become critically ill. So your right, it's not quite the same. Minkah has it easier with over 16 Million guaranteed at signing.
I very much see his point of view, (I said I can empathize completely) and that is why I took the time to comment. I see it, I just can't support it (I said I can't sympathize). I hate losing too. I absolutely get the frustration of knowing you are not succeeding like you know you can because of a boss getting in the way of you doing your best. If anybody out there has never experienced this they are very lucky because it is very common. I think it is it's very rare to always get everything the way you want it. Some like Minkah apparently expect it and I can't sympathize with them. It's not a product of too much pressure about his future, it's having it too good in his past. I guarantee you if he knew he had to play well and be a good teammate and employee for a few years before getting paid enough to live on, he would not be acting this way. He knows he is already set so he doesn't have to really watch himself when frustrated, so he doesn't have to grow as a person and eat it for now, like our 2 runningbacks making less than half a million. Those guys very likely will not finish with enough to live on in their careers, but if they can be good citizens and play well they might. So although I don't know them as people, I would expect the last thing Laird and Walton will do is jeopardize that and complain. If they had 16M up front they might. I don't know them, but it becomes less likely the less set you are IMO. So I guess I completely disagree with you on that point, although anybody who disagrees with me is not automatically a hypocrite.
Minkah doesn't upset me, it just makes me think he is weak-minded and lacks perseverance. Coping skills.

Last edited:
You think Minkah has family issues, wait until they draft Tua.

It’s not the same thing. You can’t miscast a qb like tua.

This teams getting smacked in the face with the right decision in the draft every saturday.

I mean it would take a bafoon to screw this one up. Sprint the card to the table. Don’t over think it hell dont even entertain it.

Can you imagine the players of yore whining like him after 1 season and 1 game? They don’t make athletes like they used to. Then again, I don’t think I could work for Stephen Ross.

You're right, they don't make athletes much better today than the days of Yore. It's a different generation of people not just in sports but in the general population. If we stay stuck in the days of Yore we are always going to be left behind. This is a business, it's ok for teams to look at it that way so why shouldn't players? He's looking for his second contract and the way the Dolphins are using him he'll be lucky to get one.

It’s not the same thing. You can’t miscast a qb like tua.

This teams getting smacked in the face with the right decision in the draft every saturday.

I mean it would take a bafoon to screw this one up. Sprint the card to the table. Don’t over think it hell dont even entertain it.

What exactly am I miscasting, Hoops? I know you and many on this site believe Tua is the easy consensus number 1 pick. The Dolphins will likely draft him with the number 1 pick. None of that discounts the fact that Tua is going to have the most involved and controlling family of any player we have ever signed. His Dad will make Minkah’s mom’s interactions seem severely tame.

What exactly am I miscasting, Hoops? I know you and many on this site believe Tua is the easy consensus number 1 pick. The Dolphins will likely draft him with the number 1 pick. None of that discounts the fact that Tua is going to have the most involved and controlling family of any player we have ever signed. His Dad will make Minkah’s mom’s interactions seem severely tame.

You aren’t miscasting anything. Miamis miscasting minkah due to personnel deficiency.

If he is inactive today, you know he is gone.

Overall, it's not a good look on Minkah, but we aren't gonna magically become contenders so this will get worse before it gets better and the chance increases that Minkah will start putting worse tape out there and start decreasing his value.

Price is not 2 firsts, but Miami needs to be recouping a 1 and a 3 (and potentially a young player), considering the 1 will likely be mid 20s..

I agree inactive today and he’s half way out the door.

I want him active cause I’m not kidding about the effect this arrogance on our end can have on that qb in bama.

And that should be primary over everything else for Miami. End of story

My thinking is he is young and facing sports losing likely for the first time.
I would help him thru this, teach how to handle this type of pressure, grow as a person in life and a team leader.
We may or may not have a player who can do this and it should perhaps fall on Flores regardless.
I agree, he obviously had a bad game Sunday (his tackling seems to be off all preseason). Unless we can get 1300 draft points for him or more I don't want to see him go.

That’s the part that pisses me off the most and why I don’t blame the kid.

When you miscast kids what do you expect to be their reaction over time?

I’d be pissed too. That kid can ball. And it needs to be a decade in Miami.

I'm hearing Miami is asking for a 1st, in talks with the Steelers.

Back
Top Bottom