GM/Head Coach Candidates | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GM/Head Coach Candidates

Doug Petersen is worth a look he’s won a SB. Any mid rate DC could put a better D together

They tried that with Philbin and Gase and they both failed. Selecting a quality HC appears to be more about luck than it does about knowing who the best guy for the job really is.
So what if they failed. They are failing now also. It makes way more sense to have an offensive minded head coach so he can put his offensive system in place and keep it place and continue to build on it. The offensive side is much harder to to build continuity on and it really needs stability to have success. When you have head coach from the defensive side of the ball you are at the mercy of the offensive coordinator and if he is any good he is headed out the door for a head coaching opportunity and your continuity is going with him.

I will not support the firings. Grier is a complete idiot and that was known for years, from the year they extended Tannehill after he did nothing for 4 years, then he did not draft a QB when Mahomes, Wentz, Watson, etc went in the draft and we needed a QB. Then he paid the Titans 5 million to take Tannehill off his hands for a 4th round pick. Dude was a moron. And now you want to fire him after all that?
Hell no. Now we stick with him until he becomes smart and learns, however long it takes.

Nor does Grier
She’s GM and appoints a draft expert.
She cares about the franchise, unlike a here today gone tomorrow appointment
If she cares so much about the franchise, why did she leave? I have no problem bringing her back to deal with the cap or other financial issues but I care about the franchise too and I am certainly not qualified to be the teams GM either.

So what if they failed. They are failing now also. It makes way more sense to have an offensive minded head coach so he can put his offensive system in place and keep it place and continue to build on it. The offensive side is much harder to to build continuity on and it really needs stability to have success. When you have head coach from the defensive side of the ball you are at the mercy of the offensive coordinator and if he is any good he is headed out the door for a head coaching opportunity and your continuity is going with him.
I didn’t say they shouldn’t keep trying to find a quality HC. I merely pointed out that Ross already hired 2 offensive minded coaches before hiring Flores. Both Gase and Philbin were the top offensive coaches on the HC list the year they were hired.

That is why I stated that hiring a good HC is more luck than knowledge in most cases. A coach can be excellent as a position coach or as a coordinator but that doesn’t mean he will be a good HC. That is also why the average head coaching position only last 69 games in the NFL.

I didn’t say they shouldn’t keep trying to find a quality HC. I merely pointed out that Ross already hired 2 offensive minded coaches before hiring Flores. Both Gase and Philbin were the top offensive coaches on the HC list the year they were hired.

That is why I stated that hiring a good HC is more luck than knowledge in most cases. A coach can be excellent as a position coach or as a coordinator but that doesn’t mean he will be a good HC. That is also why the average head coaching position only last 69 games in the NFL.
I would always look toward the offensive side for my head coaches. It's just a principle I would follow if I was in charge of a team.

Back
Top Bottom