Gordon practicing as first team | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gordon practicing as first team

Gordon is a physical beast who now has much more NFL experience than RB. I still expect RB to start b/c I believe he will be special, but all those that say LG has no chance never watched this guy in college. I expect they're basing it on watching an injured LG in St. Louis. I really wanted Miami to draft him in the second round rather than sending two #1s for RW. He is easily talented enough to be a good starter in this league.

Ross said:
Gordon can be a great back if he stays healthy.

I don't think he can...

--Ross

Thats the rub.He has had lower leg strength problems throughout his career and apparently its a chronic condition from what I have read.To be fair the injury he had last year was not related to that condition.

He has talent but I am happy we have depth at the position now in case he suffers another injury.

CrunchTime said:
Thats the rub.He has had lower leg strength problems throughout his career and apparently its a chronic condition from what I have read.To be fair the injury he had last year was not related to that condition.

He has talent but I am happy we have depth at the position now in case he suffers another injury.

My understanding was that he had 1 lower leg injury. It was misdiagnosed. He basically played on the same injury for two years before somebody believed him that he was injured.

byroan said:
Gordon has just as much of a chance starting as Henry does for the Bills.

Only way Gordon starts is if Ronnie gets injured.

Well theres a couple of reasons I think Gordon starts the year as your starter.

1.Who knows what Ricky can do at this point , he has been out a year and lost a ton of weight. Which by the way if I was the phins coaches I would till him to stop gaining weight around 215 and take a look at him there. He might gain a ton of quickness plus it would make the transistion easier w/out the extra weight.

2.Gordon is a far better pass blocker than Brown at this point. Brown will eventually catch up but it takes some time.

3.Gordon is a better runner than most people think. Hes good between the tackles and can break it outside

Now I'm not saying that Gordon is on his way to the Pro Bowl and he is not the future RB of this team. But don't be surprised if hes your starting RB the first 3 or 4 games

rafael said:
My understanding was that he had 1 lower leg injury. It was misdiagnosed. He basically played on the same injury for two years before somebody believed him that he was injured.

He had them in college too.He didnt play enough as a pro to get more injuries.

CrunchTime said:
He had them in college too.He didnt play enough as a pro to get more injuries.

As far as I remember the injury that was misdiagnosed occurred during his last college season (about game 7 or so). He tried to play on it the last two games and it was either not healed or reinjured. That 1 injury is the same one that lingered in the pros until he had surgery. I think that's the only college injury he had.

Isn't it great to have 3 worthy RBs in the fold? Each brings a different area of talent--assuming everyone's healthy. Ricky can pound it out, Ronnie can mix it up, and Gordon should be able to do the same.

I'm just happy that we have some serious DEPTH at RB. I don't care who starts. I just want my Dolphins to WIN baby!

Our RB situation is MUCH improved over last year.

rafael said:
As far as I remember the injury that was misdiagnosed occurred during his last college season (about game 7 or so). He tried to play on it the last two games and it was either not healed or reinjured. That 1 injury is the same one that lingered in the pros until he had surgery. I think that's the only college injury he had.

Here is an article referring to Gordons lower leg strength problems in college.
I dont know if he has overcome this condition through weight training etc but it is a concern.
http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/prospects_gordon_022502.asp

You know, we sort of have a "Carolina 'Problem'" on our hands... two good RBs.

But it's not so bad, right? The best part is, both backs are all-around athletes and can do it all. If Gordon continues to play well, we have two guys who can block, catch, and run. All I'm saying is that I don't know many LBs who want to have played 50 snaps and then have to catch a fresh-legged Brown/Gordon.

Brown's not going to be able to handle a heavy rushing load at all his first season.

Why not ? He saw just as much if not more playing time as Benson or Caddy. Just because he wasn't carrying the ball as much, it doesn't mean he wasn't hauling a§§ downfield just as much.

CrunchTime said:
Here is an article referring to Gordons lower leg strength problems in college.
I dont know if he has overcome this condition through weight training etc but it is a concern.
http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/prospects_gordon_022502.asp

I knew about the leg strength problems coming out of college. (I assume that he has made at least some strides working with NFL trainers) What I was pointing out was that the injury prone thing was overblown. Do you know if he had more than the 1 injury? As far as I know there was only one. I know you said lower leg strength problems in your post and that was certainly accurate. I just don't think that justifies "he can't stay healthy" remarks that are echoed throughout this thread.

Muck said:
Makes no difference at this point. But it should be noted that Gordon is a 4-year veteran while Brown is a rookie.

Gordon ran better than anyone last weekend anyway.

Didn't realize that Gordon was only in the league for such a short time.

Saban also said that he wants Ronnie to acquire a meaner disposition, be more aggresive and intimidating that what he's been showing. Maybe it's the way he practiced in college, not to hurt a teammate or himself, then lowers the boom in game? However all fo the press creditied Gordon with looking the most impressive of the running backs.

infiltrateib said:
You know, we sort of have a "Carolina 'Problem'" on our hands... two good RBs.

But it's not so bad, right? The best part is, both backs are all-around athletes and can do it all. If Gordon continues to play well, we have two guys who can block, catch, and run. All I'm saying is that I don't know many LBs who want to have played 50 snaps and then have to catch a fresh-legged Brown/Gordon.

Yea, and I too hope that Gordon impresses when the pads come on. THis is a good problem to have...and if he continues to impress, he is young enough to become trade bait one day if deemed expendable by Nick...but I'm not reading anything into this because Ronnie just got here, this is his first NFL training camp, and because he hasn't signed a contract yet. I'm sure that Saban will also want him to earn the job just like any other player in any other position.

Back
Top Bottom