Has Geno Smith passed R. Tannehill ? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has Geno Smith passed R. Tannehill ?

The thing that will always blow me away about Geno was when they won against the Bucs on a failed 4th down conversion because of a bonehead personal foul (thanks Schiano!) and Geno is there striking the Cristo Redentor pose on the sideline.

Seriously, dude?

I think that was more a sense of relief but to be fair he made the plays to get them into FG range.

You folks can't be serious with this. Oakland's pass defense was only top 5 in terms of yardage given up because teams are running for nearly 160 yards/game against them.

Passing yardage given up in that scenario is irrelevant. They're allowing QB's to average a 106 QB rating against their pass defense. In other words, they're allowing QB's to look like elite pro bowlers in terms of rating on average no matter who they are.
We both know statistics don't tell the story. Fitzpatrick had a big day against the Raiders skewing the ever so accurate assesor of QBR. Tannehill is learning a new offense. Geno Smith has had multiple dropped int's. The Dolphins lead the league in drops. The excuses can be endless.

The Lions have a good defense statistically and Tannehill has proven to be inconsistent but looking at only small pieces of the puzzle is not being real objective.

You folks can't be serious with this. Oakland's pass defense was only top 5 in terms of yardage given up because teams are running for nearly 160 yards/game against them.

Passing yardage given up in that scenario is irrelevant. They're allowing QB's to average a 106 QB rating against their pass defense. In other words, they're allowing QB's to look like elite pro bowlers in terms of rating on average no matter who they are.

And Miami shredded both sides of that defense. It's a fact that Tannehill had the most yards vs. Oakland's defense so far. It may not mean a damn thing to you but it's still a fact.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

.We both know statistics don't tell the story. Fitzpatrick had a big day against the Raiders skewing the ever so accurate assesor of QBR. Tannehill is learning a new offense. Geno Smith has had multiple dropped int's. The Dolphins lead the league in drops. The excuses can be endless.

The Lions have a good defense statistically and Tannehill has proven to be inconsistent but looking at only small pieces of the puzzle is not being real objective.

Fitzpatrick had 139 yds and 2 TDs (one to J.J. Watt for crissakes). He only threw 19 times but I don't consider that day to be big.

You folks can't be serious with this. Oakland's pass defense was only top 5 in terms of yardage given up because teams are running for nearly 160 yards/game against them. Passing yardage given up in that scenario is irrelevant. They're allowing QB's to average a 106 QB rating against their pass defense. In other words, they're allowing QB's to look like elite pro bowlers in terms of rating on average no matter who they are.
They did a pretty good job up in NE. That is when NE only rushed for 77 yards on 32 carries.

And Miami shredded both sides of that defense. It's a fact that Tannehill had the most yards vs. Oakland's defense so far. It may not mean a damn thing to you but it's still a fact.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Fitzpatrick had 139 yds and 2 TDs (one to J.J. Watt for crissakes). He only threw 19 times but I don't consider that day to be big.
Neither do I but his rating was 129 which shows how ridiculous it is to throw a misleading number out there.

.We both know statistics don't tell the story. Fitzpatrick had a big day against the Raiders skewing the ever so accurate assesor of QBR. Tannehill is learning a new offense. Geno Smith has had multiple dropped int's. The Dolphins lead the league in drops. The excuses can be endless.

Looking only at Ryan Fitpatrick isn't skewing the QBR that much. Geno Smith had a 96.6 against 'em, Tom Bray a 91.5, and Tannehill a 109. Again, it doesn't matter who it is. Their pass defense is not good. Neither is their rush defense. Hell they allowed Lamar Miller to look good.

Texas A&M also led the country in drops while Tannehill was there. You might figure it out one day, or you might not. You're free to believe whatever you want. Trust me I've always looked at everything. He's the exact quarterback that I said he was going to be. I don't need to figure anything out.

They did a pretty good job up in NE. That is when NE only rushed for 77 yards on 32 carries.

Not really. Brady completed 65% of his passes for 234 yards and a touchdown with no INT's. A 91.5 QB rating. That's a pro bowl day in terms of efficiency.

Brady has a worse day against Miami's defense in reality. Because they couldn't block Cameron Wake. It's not the Raiders that caused the Patriots offense to not be as good as what they're used to being... it's just that the Patriots offense isn't as good as it used to be. They don't have the weapons anymore. They're featuring a 5'10" slot receiver that played QB in college and let a pro bowl guard go to Tampa.

Even on his career days like yesterday against bad teams he can't avoid turning the football over at least once..

Looks like someone missed the game and made assumptions with a box score analysis.

yep definitely excuses now...can't even see geno smiths freaking warts...but trust him he says :lol:

when taking a look at dropped passes, i think u have to look deeper than the number.

A. where are these dropped passes taking place? are they 40-50 yd passes downfield that are being dropped on 3rd down, which is the difference between a big play and possible scoring drive and 4th down and punting, or r they 3 -4 yd passes on 2nd or 3rd and long, which would not have gotten much anyways?

also, my feeling on dropped passes in general, not just for the fins, is it all evens out over the long run, because there are also going to be plenty of a bit overthrown/ underthrown/ thrown behind balls that will be caught that should have been incomplete.

just my 2 cents for teams in the nfl in general.

if these 12 dropped passes, say like 6-7 were td passes dropped or big time plays, that is a big problem obviously

yep definitely excuses now...can't even see geno smiths freaking warts...but trust him he says :lol:

I've pointed out everytime somebody bumps this thread, or that we've had this discussion that he has to cut down on the turnovers. We're just back to your lack of reading comprehension skills again.

you make it sound like cutting down on turnovers is an easy thing and not a part of what geno is as a qb...don't hold your breath waiting for it...

you make it sound like cutting down on turnovers is an easy thing and not a part of what geno is as a qb...don't hold your breath waiting for it...

I didn't make it sound like anything. I just pointed out that he needs to cut down on the turnovers.

He has an aggressive, playmaking style that lends itself to turnovers because he's a risk taker at this stage. It's early hoops.

Geno hasn't learned the game management aspect yet, or how to be conservative and protect the football because of the wide open offense he's used to playing in. But he absolutely can. On the other hand, you can't coach a kid to be a playmaker. Don't give me somebody at the QB position and expect me to coach him how to make plays. They can teach him how to be a little more patient.

He's throwing the football downfield, and he throws a much better ball than Tannehill, or even most quarterbacks. Geno throws a beautiful ball. He still has another season before he becomes what he'll be.

Also, in fairness to Tannehill which is something I've touched on before, Zac Taylor does him no favors as a position coach. I'm certain of that too. He apparently doesn't even teach the correct footwork for how to throw a screen pass to the running back out of the backfield. The devil is in the details.

so why does geno get the benefit of the doubt thru year 3 but tannehill can't get the same treatment and he's already labeled as not the guy??? seems not fair to me...

Right now I don't want either. I think Geno is close to his ceiling already. He does throw some nice passes but can be quite reckless too often. Ryan has regressed big time. It is one thing to stall because a new offense is installed but the way he regressed, my goodness.

Geno did improve from last year. But so did Tannehill from year 1 to 2. But neither has franchise QB material. And that has nothing to with Geno being a Jet. The Jets may give Geno another year depending on his progress this year but they will join us no later than in a couple of years looking for another franchise QB.

The one I thought would be the weakest in our division is probably the best of the three newcomers at this point: EJ Manuel

This year is basically just an extension of his first year since he only played in 10 games last year. But if I compare all three EJ is leaps and bounds above Tannehill and Smith. He is not a flashy QB but plays very smart. He stays within his limitations yet confident in his abilities. I don't know how far EJ can go and if he is the solution to the Bills QB misery but at this point he looks much more promising than Geno or Ryan at any point in their young NFL careers.

I still would not want him.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom