Here's One Benefit To Dolphins Not Giving Tannehill Competition | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's One Benefit To Dolphins Not Giving Tannehill Competition

Pittsburgh has been drafting and trading for QBs for years, not a new thing coming from them.

Just how many QBs do you think Pittsburgh has drafted since 2004? I'll give you a hint.... it's the same number as the Dolphins and they were lower picks.

Flacco's on the downside of his career? A SB MVP at 33 is downside huh? Damn, what does that make our iron man qb at age 30 who has never won anything?

His passer ratings the last 5 years are 73, 91, 83, 83, 80. I mean, WTF dude? I'd say that's pretty down. Flacco had an 11-5 record as a rookie while throwing for 14 TDs and 12 INTs. Ya think there might just be a bit more to it than the QB?

Competition brings out the best in all of us but at the same time guys like Ryan Tannehill are cut from a different cloth.

Guys with 17's physical gifts and toughness don't fall of trees.

I like knowing my QB is the alpha dog.

And that dog is about to bite back at all who doubt him.

Lauren?.....Is that you???

As for Big Ben, again they have invested for years at the QB position. While Miami was content on having the highest paid backup QB on its roster who would never threaten or push someone who has never been threatened or pushed at the NFL level.

WTF are you talking about? Here is the performance of the Steelers backup QBs that they "invested in":

backup-qbs2.png

Whoopie!!!

For the love of Christ research something before you post about it.

Disagree with the entire premise. I like Hyde but he’s not right here. Tannehill has always been at his BEST when personally doubted and thrown into the fire that way.

He lost the competition with Stephen McGee and subsequently Jerod Johnson at A&M so what did he do? Became an All Conference WIDE RECEIVER while pulling double duty.

He finally got a shot to play in his fourth year after 3.5 years of eating **** from Mike Sherman, who first kept him benched behind McGee and then Jerod Johnson (neither being NFL players), what happens? Those first four games, Tannehill goes on an absolute tear. It was his chance to tell Mike Sherman, “**** you, you made a huge mistake” and he nailed it.

Then comes 2014 and probably unbeknownst to Tannehill, Philbin sold him out by requesting Ireland draft Derek Carr. Ireland says no. Then three games into the year after a few bad performances Philbin publicly refuses to name Tannehill the starter. It was big deal. National news. Everyone in the organization heard it. Dan Marino was pissed on Ryan’s behalf. Tannehill wouldn’t say it publicly but he was really pissed. What happens? That very week he goes out there and murders the Raiders in London. From that game thru the rest of the year he had like a 100 passer rating.

Then in 2016 he struggles as the entire offense is trying to install Gase’s new offense. Fans and media alike after the Titans game start calling for his head. Demanding he be benched. Media won’t stop asking Gase. So Gase says **** you guys, I’m not putting up with this anymore, declares definitively and publicly that Ryan Tannehill has been named the starting QB for the remainder of 2016 hell or high water. From that point on Tannehill has a 100 passer rating, 7-1 record, not taking sacks, running for yards, etc.

Complacency has always been Tannehill’s biggest enemy. He plays especially well when everyone is trying to shovel dirt over his grave. Had they drafted a Josh Rosen, Tannehill probably has the best year of his career. That’s the way he is.

Luckily tho, after missing 19 games or whatever with the knee, and being written off by everyone EXCEPT his coach, I think there’s already plenty of motivation there.

What 4 game run? Junior year post Tech? Or his Senior year? Because that picture deserves a lot more context...than 4 games.

It seems like they're finally trying to build around Tannehill instead of just throwing random pieces together and hoping Tannehill can be the franchise on his back. It's clear that's not going to work, so now they're trying to build around him. Which is smarter than what they were trying.

Pittsburgh has been drafting and trading for QBs for years, not a new thing coming from them. Flacco's on the downside of his career? A SB MVP at 33 is downside huh? Damn, what does that make our iron man qb at age 30 who has never won anything?

What does age have to do with skill? And that SB MVP was a career ago for him. Anyone who's watched Flacco recently. can see he doesn't have it anymore. And I'm saying this as someone who was an adamant defender of him.

What does age have to do with skill? And that SB MVP was a career ago for him. Anyone who's watched Flacco recently. can see he doesn't have it anymore. And I'm saying this as someone who was an adamant defender of him.

Hes also earned the right to have an opinion about the FO drafting a QB is my point. People here while holding up Tannehill always have to tear someone else down.

To be fair, I'm sure Ryan would handle the situation way better than Big Ben and Flacco are doing right now.

Example A above and from which my main point on the subject comes from.

22 teams bring in competition/replacements every year? I didn't know that

Sorry, poor post by me. Of the teams that bring in new QBs to start or compete with the starter, the bottom few are legit competition (i.e. the team really doesn't now who will win the job), the rest are the next guy (this year or next).

Example, the Jets brought in McCown to compete in 2017, the Chiefs brought in Mahommes as the next guy.

I sure hope Gase knows what he's doing, but it never hurts to push the starters some. Not like our backups are going to set the world on fire any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom