How about some Gesicki tape? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How about some Gesicki tape?

Tua was reluctant to throw it up to them because he realized he wasn't playing Vanderbilt. The only time Tua looked good in the Buffalo game was when he "threw it up" to Parker...at the start of the second half. Once Buffalo went into different coverages and Tua was given the greenlight it looked like the Keystone Kops blocking for the Three Stooges.

1614966856278.png

The greatest thing about Gesicki is that he has actually made catches in the NFL as opposed to your fantasy man, Pitts, who hasn't caught a cold in the NFL

Pitts to the Eagles...stay away from all sharp objects at that point.

I don't care what is said by anyone. Gisecki is a playmaker. If we draft a TE in the 1st round we ar epically stupid. We have SO many other needs.

Against drafting him... and juvenilely unaware that TEs generally take a year or two to be successful in the NFL.
Not only that, Gase was oblivious about how to use him as a reciever. I don't hold that against him at all.

And yes, TE is a notoriously hard transition, as many of us pointed out at the time. Even Smythe, who is a solid player now, was nearly invisible his first year and a half.

Against drafting him... and juvenilely unaware that TEs generally take a year or two to be successful in the NFL.
I liked him in and out of Penn State...I recall semi-following him after he played my high school (Atlantic City) in the state basketball tournaments and the talk was he was a better football player because he was a VERY good basketball player.

Hated him as a receiving TE, and it had far less to do with his lack of production and more how he looked like a newborn giraffe. Oh, we're happy now...but there was reason to be critical with his route running and catching when people were critical.

I don't subscribe to the "takes a year or two" to be successful as it creates too many "outs" where a person walking the fence can land safely on either side they fall.

I liked him in and out of Penn State...I recall semi-following him after he played my high school (Atlantic City) in the state basketball tournaments and the talk was he was a better football player because he was a VERY good basketball player.

Hated him as a receiving TE, and it had far less to do with his lack of production and more how he looked like a newborn giraffe. Oh, we're happy now...but there was reason to be critical with his route running and catching when people were critical.

I don't subscribe to the "takes a year or two" to be successful as it creates too many "outs" where a person walking the fence can land safely on either side they fall.
Maybe... but it is true that TE may be the single hardest position to master in the NFL. Very, VERY few players are good early.

I've watched the Pitts tapes and it's like watching Gesicki. Most of the time, he isn't all that open, and he has great hands. I'd be all over him if we didn't have a guy who is already filling that role... a guy who seems to be a team-first guy and who can be resigned at a reasonable rate.

Highlight catches no doubt but still offers no blocking and absolutely zero YAC. He is the DVP of tight ends

Highlight catches no doubt but still offers no blocking and absolutely zero YAC. He is the DVP of tight ends
Let's unpack that statement a bit.

The no blocking rhetoric is often overblown. Is he a great blocker in a power running scheme? Definitely not, but that's true of most pass catching TEs, and it also isn't what his role is anyway. He has no issues chipping on his way into his route in 11 personnel, or holding up a backside rusher on plays going the other way, such as RPO concepts. In 12, it doesnt matter because it's only 12 personnel as a technicality anyway, it's more like a spread fomation. There's no reason for him to be on the field in and short situations. Tell me how his less than stellar blocking skills is really all that detrimental.

RAC? Most TEs don't have a much in the way of RAC yds, when they play against a lot of zone, and our flankers, as a group, don't force man or press. Not sure what you expect when he is asked to sit down in the "soft spots" on a regular basis.

I'll give you not breaking a lot of tackles.

Let's unpack that statement a bit.

The no blocking rhetoric is often overblown. Is he a great blocker in a power running scheme? Definitely not, but that's true of most pass catching TEs, and it also isn't what his role is anyway. He has no issues chipping on his way into his route in 11 personnel, or holding up a backside rusher on plays going the other way, such as RPO concepts. In 12, it doesnt matter because it's only 12 personnel as a technicality anyway, it's more like a spread fomation. There's no reason for him to be on the field in and short situations. Tell me how his less than stellar blocking skills is really all that detrimental.

RAC? Most TEs don't have a much in the way of RAC yds, when they play against a lot of zone, and our flankers, as a group, don't force man or press. Not sure what you expect when he is asked to sit down in the "soft spots" on a regular basis.

I'll give you not breaking a lot of tackles.
Great point here. Get two WR's that will make the defense worry about getting burn deep and your TE will have more room to operate. Nobody's saying MG si an all pro but he can help your offense a bit more than people are saying here and this is coming from someone that really wanted to draft Goedert.

How many TDs? Does that count for anything? Where does those TDs stack up the last 2 years in the league?
We're not even going to get about this production with literally no threat at reciever and at running back.

Even the great Kelcie and the kid for the 49ers have complementary offensive help that other teams need to worry and account for.

What threats did Miami have to take some of the focus of Gesicki?

I'll wait.

53 catches for 703 yards and 6 TD's is not that bad for a guy that can't run routes

53 catches for 703 yards and 6 TD's is not that bad for a guy that can't run routes
Can't speak for @rickd13 , but I don't think he's a bad "route runner", so much as the fact that he's a long strider makes him not "sudden" off the line, or in and out of breaks.

When I think of the term route runner, I think of precise depths, being in the designed spot at the right time, making the correct adjustments based on defensive leverage and alignment, etc.

Back
Top Bottom