How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL?

Now that the draft is over, free agency is about bargain hunting, and the schedule has been released, how do the Miami Dolphins match-up with the rest of the NFL.? I realize this is a projection post. Nobody really knows what the rookies will add. I've read stories where Phillips is projected to be in the running for DROY. That would be nice. I can't remember the last time Miami had a defensive rookie in the running for that honor.

Anyway, here is my grading scale. I'm trying to be realistic and hold back from being overly optimistic.

Bottom Five in the League F
Bottom Third in the League D
League Average C
Top Third in the League B
Top Five in the League A

I may have a few + and - grades.

Quarterback C+
The additions across the offense are bound to help Tua develop. I always viewed his ceiling as a top 10 quarterback in the NFL. Not sure he reaches that year two, but I do think he'll be top half of the league. Brissett has starting experience and was a good add to back up Tua.

Offensive Line C+
The Dolphins offensive line struggled at the end of the season as some of the rookies hit that wall. But looking at this group, it could be a top 10 unit if everything comes together. I love the addition of Eichenberg and look forward to a center battle between Skura and Deiter. Jackson is the player I'm really expecting to take a significant leap. It's a young unit, but the talent is there.

Wide Receiver/Tight End B
This is where Grier really upgraded. When he signed Fuller as a free agent, I wasn't sure Miami would go wide receiver with their first pick. Fuller and Waddle are the types of players defenses have to game plan for. The Dolphins haven't had that in a long time. I like the addition of Long in the tight end room. And I expect Parker to have perhaps his best year with less attention going his way. I might have had a higher grade here, but Parker, Fuller and Williams have all been injury prone. Gesicki and Long in double tight end formations could be difficult for defenses as well. There should be a great battle for that 6th wide receiver spot among Grant, Wilson, Foster, Perry and Hurns. I think Bowden will nail down the 5th spot.

Running Back F
I know this sounds harsh, but I'm not finding many teams with a less talented running back group. Now, I could be wrong if Doaks is better than expected. It's hard to get much from his 4-minute highlight reel, other than the fact that he looks athletic catching the ball. Gaskin might prove to be better than expected. He does everything pretty well, and is good out of the backfield. I really like the addition of Brown and expect him to help in short-yardage. It's a serviceable group that hopefully will surprise us.

Defensive Line B-
The Dolphins don't have an elite player here, although maybe Phillips can become that. Ogbah had a breakout year and should benefit with the addition of Phillips. Wilkins has improved each year and is solid. Davis was on the all-rookie team and was very productive, mostly as nose tackle. The depth on the DL is good with Seiler, Butler and maybe Strowbridge.

Linebackers C
This grade certainly could be higher. I'm cautiously optimistic about McKinney, but want to see how Flores uses him. Baker emerged last year with 7 sacks, which I believe led all linebackers. Van Ginkel should see more playing time now that Van Noy is in NE. Van Noy was one of those clutch players, though. I was glad the Dolphins brought back Roberts.

Secondary A
If everyone in the secondary stays healthy and a few young players emerge, this could be the #1 unit in the NFL. Certainly arguments could be made that X. Howard is the best corner. While Byron Jones had ups and downs, the defense took off once he got into the lineup. Rowe was very solid and impressive covering tight ends. Brandon Jones played well as a rookie. Iggy is the player here that I expect to take a huge jump, possibly winning the "starting" job in the slot. I love the Holland pickup and he'll see a lot of action.

Special Teams B
It's always hard to grade the special teams because it probably has the highest variance from one season to the next. Sanders was possibly the best kicker in the NFL last year, having IMO the best kicking season in Miami history. Will Waddle, Grant or Holland return kicks? Grant certainly figures to be a bubble player. The coverage teams were at least league average last year.
I think RB should get a G-. The talent there is beneath the sub flooring.

Right. Good coaching makes the sum better than the parts.

I think Miami should be a playoff team. My one reservation is that Grier took some chances on players who are coming off injuries or have that history....Waddle, Phillips, McKinney, Fuller, Skura.
I was discussing injury prone players the other day with my friends. I’ve posted about this plenty. I absolutely do not like drafting or signing injury prone players unless we were Super Bowl contenders which we are not. If I was the Gm I would of selected Herbert for example because Tua was coming off a serious serious injury. Placing the future of the dolphins on an injured kid is one serious gamble. This draft Grier and Flores again have taken serious gambles w our first round picks, waddle and Phillips who I love but again if I was the Gm I wouldn’t have drafted them. Waddle coming off a broken ankle and Phillips medical history. I probably would of gone w either smith, Sewell or parsons. Time will tell , hope these decisions do help us become great.

I agree 100% with OP grades. I was expecting some stupid grade on the running backs like I’m seeing mentioned by others here... was pleasantly surprised to see someone with perspective grading these and the running backs:..

That group was a F last year, is an F going into this season, and BEST CASE SCENARIO will get us a C- production because the rest of the offensive is performing at a high level.

I expect the OL to be solid this year and be a C+ or maybe slightly better grade and if they do, and Tua and the passing game also improves, then I see our running team giving us D+ production.... after being ranked in the bottom 3 in every statistical category for running that matters, if we improve to bottom 10-12, that would be a huge jump.

OP grading scale is excellent, and basically shows we are average or above average in every category (expect RB) and with our depth, we should be a playoff team.

I do not agree. I think we are going to be WAY above average.

When you complain about what you imply are "lucky" wins because our players weren't very good, I call sustained wins because our coaching staff knew what they were doing with what they had. When we lost players due to both the Covis threat and to injuries that accumulated as the year went on, then our weakness at depth showed up.

This is the second exceptional draft we've had in 2 years, both in the huge number of 1st & 2nd round picks we had and in the quality of those picks. We also have had some solid to good NFL level players from previous drafts that continue to perform and improve.

The result of this large increase in good players is telling. Increases in skill and depth with our receivers and Offensive Line. Increases in depth and maintenance of some kill sets across the Defense and in the Offensive line.

I notice that those posters who complain about our drafts and players base those complaints on our draft choices because they were not the choices they had wanted.

News Flash! This FO has shown much better judgement in player selection then our posters. They have also shown tremendous skill in setting us up for good drafts and weeding out players who became or were becoming "divas". I wasn't a Dolphins fan until after "bully Gate", but I notice there are posters here who still champion some of those players who were involved. "GROW A PAIR" and quit whining!

The result of all the recent large drafts of early picks that we have made for ourselves via some good trading, has brought us to the point where we not only have solid NFL players at many positions, but we have depth that is almost as strong. We have also made changes to our coaching staff that have helped improve our game and we continue to make some changes to the coaching staff and their structure that make a lot of sense to me.

As this season starts we have made a lot of improvement on a team that went 10-6 last year; while early in it's rebuilding cycle. The Patriots are not yet back to being as good as they had been and the Superbowl teams have not made nearly the same level of improvements that we have. Other successful franchises have lost some good players due to cap limitations. That is why we are starting to see some pretty good FA's showing up now.

With our potential clearly increasing and most of the other top rated teams treading water or getting hurt by the cap, I see the Dolphins winning anywhere from 11 to 16 games this year, with the schedule we have.

I'll make a more specific perdition after our training and preseason games are over, but I feel this is the year were we turn the corner from rebuilding the team to maintaining and occasionally improving skill sets as our draft position and numbers of picks allow. We are still going to get three 1st round picks over the next two years, so I see room for growth at any position that might need it.

I feel this year we will make it to the playoffs.

What happens after that is going to be "icing on the cake", but I will bravely predict right now that their will be posters claiming that making the playoff's was just "luck" and we shouldn't have been there and that when we did get there we "dropped the ball".

"LEMMINGS" will produce their "bah humbug" complaints, while couching them in terms like "I'm glad we won, but those dummies should have done what I wanted and we would have started winning years ago". They are already phissing me off and playing hasn't even begun.

Well it just goes to show, when you eat too many "Lemming" drops it leaves a sour taste in your mouth; and the pre-season doldrums have more then there share of "Lemming" drops!

These grades in a nutshell are very subjective IMO... One position group outplaying its grade could very well bump up other groups... Some combos of positions overplaying their grades simultaniously could actually change the whole team...

For example, if the OL turns out and plays at a B+ level, then it makes it alot more likely that QB, WR and RB ouplay their grades and vice versa. If the offense as a whole out performs and gets to play with leads most of the time than you're more likely to get your D to look a whole lot better simply by the situations they are put in.

I was discussing injury prone players the other day with my friends. I’ve posted about this plenty. I absolutely do not like drafting or signing injury prone players unless we were Super Bowl contenders which we are not. If I was the Gm I would of selected Herbert for example because Tua was coming off a serious serious injury. Placing the future of the dolphins on an injured kid is one serious gamble. This draft Grier and Flores again have taken serious gambles w our first round picks, waddle and Phillips who I love but again if I was the Gm I wouldn’t have drafted them. Waddle coming off a broken ankle and Phillips medical history. I probably would of gone w either smith, Sewell or parsons. Time will tell , hope these decisions do help us become great.
Miami looks past injuries more than a lot of teams.

I'm with you on Phillips. Love the player and am excited about what he could add. But the fact that he essentially retired for a year due to concussions is concerning.

Someone else made a good argument that teams are essentially rebuilding every four years. In that sense, you are maybe looking at injuries a little differently too.

I do hope Tua can stay healthy because that's the most important position on the field.

Now that the draft is over, free agency is about bargain hunting, and the schedule has been released, how do the Miami Dolphins match-up with the rest of the NFL.? I realize this is a projection post. Nobody really knows what the rookies will add. I've read stories where Phillips is projected to be in the running for DROY. That would be nice. I can't remember the last time Miami had a defensive rookie in the running for that honor.

Anyway, here is my grading scale. I'm trying to be realistic and hold back from being overly optimistic.

Bottom Five in the League F
Bottom Third in the League D
League Average C
Top Third in the League B
Top Five in the League A

I may have a few + and - grades.

Quarterback C+
The additions across the offense are bound to help Tua develop. I always viewed his ceiling as a top 10 quarterback in the NFL. Not sure he reaches that year two, but I do think he'll be top half of the league. Brissett has starting experience and was a good add to back up Tua.

Offensive Line C+
The Dolphins offensive line struggled at the end of the season as some of the rookies hit that wall. But looking at this group, it could be a top 10 unit if everything comes together. I love the addition of Eichenberg and look forward to a center battle between Skura and Deiter. Jackson is the player I'm really expecting to take a significant leap. It's a young unit, but the talent is there.

Wide Receiver/Tight End B
This is where Grier really upgraded. When he signed Fuller as a free agent, I wasn't sure Miami would go wide receiver with their first pick. Fuller and Waddle are the types of players defenses have to game plan for. The Dolphins haven't had that in a long time. I like the addition of Long in the tight end room. And I expect Parker to have perhaps his best year with less attention going his way. I might have had a higher grade here, but Parker, Fuller and Williams have all been injury prone. Gesicki and Long in double tight end formations could be difficult for defenses as well. There should be a great battle for that 6th wide receiver spot among Grant, Wilson, Foster, Perry and Hurns. I think Bowden will nail down the 5th spot.

Running Back F
I know this sounds harsh, but I'm not finding many teams with a less talented running back group. Now, I could be wrong if Doaks is better than expected. It's hard to get much from his 4-minute highlight reel, other than the fact that he looks athletic catching the ball. Gaskin might prove to be better than expected. He does everything pretty well, and is good out of the backfield. I really like the addition of Brown and expect him to help in short-yardage. It's a serviceable group that hopefully will surprise us.

Defensive Line B-
The Dolphins don't have an elite player here, although maybe Phillips can become that. Ogbah had a breakout year and should benefit with the addition of Phillips. Wilkins has improved each year and is solid. Davis was on the all-rookie team and was very productive, mostly as nose tackle. The depth on the DL is good with Seiler, Butler and maybe Strowbridge.

Linebackers C
This grade certainly could be higher. I'm cautiously optimistic about McKinney, but want to see how Flores uses him. Baker emerged last year with 7 sacks, which I believe led all linebackers. Van Ginkel should see more playing time now that Van Noy is in NE. Van Noy was one of those clutch players, though. I was glad the Dolphins brought back Roberts.

Secondary A
If everyone in the secondary stays healthy and a few young players emerge, this could be the #1 unit in the NFL. Certainly arguments could be made that X. Howard is the best corner. While Byron Jones had ups and downs, the defense took off once he got into the lineup. Rowe was very solid and impressive covering tight ends. Brandon Jones played well as a rookie. Iggy is the player here that I expect to take a huge jump, possibly winning the "starting" job in the slot. I love the Holland pickup and he'll see a lot of action.

Special Teams B
It's always hard to grade the special teams because it probably has the highest variance from one season to the next. Sanders was possibly the best kicker in the NFL last year, having IMO the best kicking season in Miami history. Will Waddle, Grant or Holland return kicks? Grant certainly figures to be a bubble player. The coverage teams were at least league average last year.
With these grades id have to say a 10 win team that did nothing but add talent in the offseason...I guess the whole is better than the parts.

I do not agree. I think we are going to be WAY above average.

When you complain about what you imply are "lucky" wins because our players weren't very good, I call sustained wins because our coaching staff knew what they were doing with what they had. When we lost players due to both the Covis threat and to injuries that accumulated as the year went on, then our weakness at depth showed up.

This is the second exceptional draft we've had in 2 years, both in the huge number of 1st & 2nd round picks we had and in the quality of those picks. We also have had some solid to good NFL level players from previous drafts that continue to perform and improve.

The result of this large increase in good players is telling. Increases in skill and depth with our receivers and Offensive Line. Increases in depth and maintenance of some kill sets across the Defense and in the Offensive line.

I notice that those posters who complain about our drafts and players base those complaints on our draft choices because they were not the choices they had wanted.

News Flash! This FO has shown much better judgement in player selection then our posters. They have also shown tremendous skill in setting us up for good drafts and weeding out players who became or were becoming "divas". I wasn't a Dolphins fan until after "bully Gate", but I notice there are posters here who still champion some of those players who were involved. "GROW A PAIR" and quit whining!

The result of all the recent large drafts of early picks that we have made for ourselves via some good trading, has brought us to the point where we not only have solid NFL players at many positions, but we have depth that is almost as strong. We have also made changes to our coaching staff that have helped improve our game and we continue to make some changes to the coaching staff and their structure that make a lot of sense to me.

As this season starts we have made a lot of improvement on a team that went 10-6 last year; while early in it's rebuilding cycle. The Patriots are not yet back to being as good as they had been and the Superbowl teams have not made nearly the same level of improvements that we have. Other successful franchises have lost some good players due to cap limitations. That is why we are starting to see some pretty good FA's showing up now.

With our potential clearly increasing and most of the other top rated teams treading water or getting hurt by the cap, I see the Dolphins winning anywhere from 11 to 16 games this year, with the schedule we have.

I'll make a more specific perdition after our training and preseason games are over, but I feel this is the year were we turn the corner from rebuilding the team to maintaining and occasionally improving skill sets as our draft position and numbers of picks allow. We are still going to get three 1st round picks over the next two years, so I see room for growth at any position that might need it.

I feel this year we will make it to the playoffs.

What happens after that is going to be "icing on the cake", but I will bravely predict right now that their will be posters claiming that making the playoff's was just "luck" and we shouldn't have been there and that when we did get there we "dropped the ball".

"LEMMINGS" will produce their "bah humbug" complaints, while couching them in terms like "I'm glad we won, but those dummies should have done what I wanted and we would have started winning years ago". They are already phissing me off and playing hasn't even begun.

Well it just goes to show, when you eat too many "Lemming" drops it leaves a sour taste in your mouth; and the pre-season doldrums have more then there share of "Lemming" drops!
I have no idea what you’re talking about. I think you quoted the wrong person lol

If this whole lecture is based on me saying “we are average to above average in every category” and mistaking this for anything other than a positive view, you need perspective....

at the NFL level, if you’re 16th or better in every statistical category and top 10 in several you’re a definitive playoff team. Being average or better in each category, when there is 8 of them, is very hard to do. You’re a good team if you can do that. Which is what OP said and what I agreed with.

Not sure what most of your post was about, seemed a bit preachy so I stopped reading when it stopped relating to what I said. Maybe it was for someone else.

I agree 100% with OP grades. I was expecting some stupid grade on the running backs like I’m seeing mentioned by others here... was pleasantly surprised to see someone with perspective grading these and the running backs:..

That group was a F last year, is an F going into this season, and BEST CASE SCENARIO will get us a C- production because the rest of the offensive is performing at a high level.

I expect the OL to be solid this year and be a C+ or maybe slightly better grade and if they do, and Tua and the passing game also improves, then I see our running team giving us D+ production.... after being ranked in the bottom 3 in every statistical category for running that matters, if we improve to bottom 10-12, that would be a huge jump.

OP grading scale is excellent, and basically shows we are average or above average in every category (expect RB) and with our depth, we should be a playoff team.
To add to that, I think people see F and think failure. In this case, F is bottom five in the league. I was just trying to be realistic.

Other teams have talent, so I was looking to compare it league wide.

But everything goes hand in hand in the NFL. As an example, having speed at wide receiver will make the running and offensive line better.

All though I feel this is an exercise in futility as we haven't seen this team even practice yet but I realize we are all excited and burning time as we wait for the season.

Quaterback: B (Possible A)
I really liked what I saw from Tua in year one. I don't follow College ball much so I went back and watched a lot his tape and the more I saw the more excited I was. Tua has a near endless ceiling. He is pinpoint accurate and can break your ankles when he runs. I think we see a greatly improved Tua this year.

Runningbacks: B
I dont get all the hate. Gaskin and Ahmed put up some solid numbers last year and that was with a poor receiving core allowing defenses to crowd the box. I expect Gaskin to have a great year as we force defenses into a more spread nickel. I love the addition of Doaks for pass protecion.

Offensive Line: Incomplete: I just cant rate this group yet. It has the possibility of being a B, but it feels closer to a C until I see how they gel.

Defensive line and Linebacker core: B
I think Phillips opens up new possibilities we never had last year. I believe Van Ginkel steps up and has a great year.

WR/TE: A
I can't wait to see these dudes in action. On paper it looks really scary.

CB: AA
I think Iggy gets his groove on this year and its lights out.

All though I feel this is an exercise in futility as we haven't seen this team even practice yet but I realize we are all excited and burning time as we wait for the season.

I really liked what I saw from Tua in year one. I don't follow College ball much so I went back and watched a lot his tape and the more I saw the more excited I was. Tua has a near endless ceiling. He is pinpoint accurate and can break your ankles when he runs. I think we see a greatly improved Tua this year.

I dont get all the hate. Gaskin and Ahmed put up some solid numbers last year and that was with a poor receiving core allowing defenses to crowd the box. I expect Gaskin to have a great year as we force defenses into a more spread nickel. I love the addition of Doaks for pass protecion.

Offensive Line: Incomplete: I just cant rate this group yet. It has the possibility of being a B, but it feels closer to a C until I see how they gel.

I think Phillips opens up new possibilities we never had last year. I believe Van Ginkel steps up and has a great year.

I hope you're right. Ever so much. And you're right it's too early, so no point in really debating this.....but it's fun!

That said my post about the OP's grading scale being tougher than the default or "intuitive" meaning of A's or C's or F's, etc., I think bears repeating. The above grades, along with some of the other high graders on the thread, if taking the OP seriously, is a flat out Super Bowl team. Maybe a SB winner, maybe a SB loser. Maybe a team that gets unlucky and loses in the AFC championship game. But a Super Bowl level team.

I hope you're right. Man oh man, as a long waiting Phin fan, I hope so. But I think a solid playoff team, maybe winning a playoff game is closer to my bet.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I think you quoted the wrong person lol

If this whole lecture is based on me saying “we are average to above average in every category” and mistaking this for anything other than a positive view, you need perspective....

at the NFL level, if you’re 16th or better in every statistical category and top 10 in several you’re a definitive playoff team. Being average or better in each category, when there is 8 of them, is very hard to do. You’re a good team if you can do that. Which is what OP said and what I agreed with.

Not sure what most of your post was about, seemed a bit preachy so I stopped reading when it stopped relating to what I said. Maybe it was for someone else.

Yes, I was triggered by "average to above average …."

We were significantly less then that last year and that much worse the year before. I feel we went from awful, to below average to probably WAY above average this year.

I try not to get preachy, but after reading posts by consistently negative posters for 5 years I have become sensitive to criticisms where I feel positives are being discounted.

I suspect this is were you and I are in this thread.

I gave my reasons for expecting a league winning year and believe they are supported by the last draft and what we have done in free agency. I tried to show a continuum from where we were two years ago to last year to the beginning of this season. I have tried to pre-empt the habitual whining and complaints about the FO's performance using our W-L record as a measure for improvement. We are clearly making 5 win steps each year with what we are doing while other teams are standing still. That's what our record says we have done in the past and I tried to show, since we are by making the same kind of focused drafting and FA selections. That's what I expect this year for all the same kind of reasons.

For the record, as of yesterday I am predicting a W-L rating between 12-5 and 16-1. A 5 win improvement would be 15-2, so I feel my estimates are reasonable, not outrageous and certainly not the results of just average or above average.

I appreciate the tone of your response and that's why I'm answering it in this level of detail.

Last edited:
I hope you're right. Man oh man, as a long waiting Phin fan, I hope so. But I think a solid playoff team, maybe winning a playoff game is closer to my bet.
It's been a long time without hope...until last year. Us Dolphins are starving for a team to really get excited about. That day is finally here!

Last edited:
Maybe I'm being overly conservative. But top 5 secondary, slightly above average quarterback play, top 10 wide receivers, should equal playoffs. No?
Yes, that goes to show how the team-building has been done well to maximize effect in today's nfl. I would add: DL/LB needs to be above average as well at generating pressure

Also B for WR makes sense due to injury and unproveness of Waddle + lots of new faces + untested OC. But by mid-season we could easily be seeing them at B+/A-

Yes, I was triggered by "average to above average …."

We were significantly less then that last year and that much worse the year before. I feel we went from awful, to below average to probably WAY above average this year.

I try not to get preachy, but after reading posts by consistently negative posters for 5 years I have become sensitive to criticisms where I feel positives are being discounted.

I suspect this is were you and I are in this thread.

I gave my reasons for expecting a league winning year and believe they are supported by the last draft and what we have done in free agency. I tried to show a continuum from where we were two years ago to last year to the beginning of this season. I have tried to pre-empt the habitual whining and complaints about the FO's performance using our W-L record as a measure for improvement. We are clearly making 5 win steps each year with what we are doing while other teams are standing still. That's what are record says we have done in the past and I tried to show, since we are by making the same kind of focused drafting and FA selections. That's what I expect this year for all the same kind of reasons.

For the record, as of yesterday I am predicting a W-L rating between 12-5 and 16-1. A 5 win improvement would be 15-2, so I feel my estimates are reasonable, not outrageous and certainly not the results of just average or above average.

I appreciate the tone of your response and that's why I'm answering it in this level of detail.
I have never put much merit to the over/underachieved line of thinking. There's more validity to "a few bounces" one way or the other can swing a record. That's more a matter of randomness.

Having said that, I do think it's much easier to jump from poor to above average, than from average to a top team.

It's just a tougher hill to climb. I love your optimism, but 15-16 wins is, historically, a very very high bar. Even good/great teams have to have a lot go "right" to only have 1 or 2 losses over a season.

Im not saying it's impossible at all, just tough to accomplish.

For context, SB winner's records...

The RBs last year ranked 29th, 31st and 32nd in Yards per attempt, broken tackles and yards after contact.
There are maybe 3-4 teams with worse RBs.

Back
Top Bottom