How will Flores regain respect of team after a historically bad season? (Analysis) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How will Flores regain respect of team after a historically bad season? (Analysis)

I forgot Seifert coached the Panthers. Hugh Jackson was an epic fail of a HC. Sam Bradford was the no 1 pick? Heaven help us if we get a guy like that.

This is his rookie season as well (HC)...and it shows.

The little things have to be rectified...like not sticking to the running game (up the gut no less) when it's getting stonewalled, and don't be afraid to lose some challenges. That Williams 'drop' he should have thrown the flag whether it succeeds or not. You miss every shot you don't take and there was nothing to lose and everything to gain (a TD, player's respect/confidence) by challenging that.

I'm trying to stay positive but

First off season is not over yet, so Miami might grow enough to win some games here and there.

If Miami does end up with the worst record in football (or close to it), with an all out attack in FA and the Draft, do what Jimmy Johnson did after The Cowboys sucked bigtime, make sure the coaching staff coach their butt off with the new Dolphins in, and make sure nobody enjoys seeing Miami on their schedule in 2020 or 2021.

I look at the fact that a player like Howard has regressed under this coaching staff. I don’t expect much from all the players who should be on a practice squad or working at Home Depot instead of being on an active roster, but when your best player on defense looks no better than a PS player, we have a problem.

Eventually this organization is going to have to convince free agents and draftees to want to be here and that means they have to buy into what the coaches are selling them. The reason some of the possible head coaches didn’t want to even interview for the job is because they wanted nothing to do with a rebuilding job.

Unless your Jimmy Johnson and you already have a young good nucleus to start with, you are not going to survive as a head coach in the NFL if you are at the beginning of the rebuilding job. History clearly shows this to be a fact.

I suspect that Ross will recognize that the players will not be buying into Flores and the coaching staff by the end of 2020 and it will be the next HC and the new GM who will be hired to continue the rebuilding program started by Grier and Flores.

Ross will live with the mess that is the 2019 Dolphins simply because he has no choice at this late date. The reality is this complete rebuild should have taken place when Ross purchased the team. While Ross might be okay with a lousy team this year, he isn’t getting any younger and he will eventually demand a quicker fix by the time the 2020 season ends.

I give Grier and Flores until the end of the 2020 season and then I think there will be a new GM and HC hired to take over the team in 2021. This is just a case of Grier wanting to hire someone who was willing to accept that his team would be terrible and Flores knowing that his opportunity to be an NFL head coach might not come again.

It would not surprise me at all if the players aren’t already starting to tune out the coaches. It certainly appeared today that Howard has decided to take his money and play like the other practice squad players on the roster. It will not surprise me in the least if Howard isn’t traded before the end of the trade deadline.
Unfortunately if he continues to play like he did today, the Dolphins will be lucky to get even a 5th round pick for him.

First off season is not over yet, so Miami might grow enough to win some games here and there.

If Miami does end up with the worst record in football (or close to it), with an all out attack in FA and the Draft, do what Jimmy Johnson did after The Cowboys sucked bigtime, make sure the coaching staff coach their butt off with the new Dolphins in, and make sure nobody enjoys seeing Miami on their schedule in 2020 or 2021.

The difference is that Jimmy Johnson was an excellent head coach when he was with the Cowboys. He also had a great coaching staff and since he was fresh out of college coaching, he knew what players to draft to rebuild quickly.

There is nothing I have seen yet to show that Flores is even a good headcoach, much less an excellent head coach. His coaching staff appears to be ordinary at best and perhaps below average.

During the Johnson era in Dallas free agency was not an issue and players either bought into the coaching staff or they were traded or cut. The money players were earning wasn’t close to the money they earn today. There were no guaranteed money or salary cap during his time in Dallas.

Coaches were not limited in regards to practice time. Players either went along with the program or they were out of the league. Today if a player doesn’t like his team or the situation he finds himself in on the team and he is a better player, he demands a trade, sits out games or leaves in free agency. None of these issues were something Johnson had to deal with when he was the Cowboys HC.

Back in the old days, it was do as I say or don’t let the door hit you butt on the way out. Now if players aren’t happy, they have options they didn’t have when Johnson was coaching in Dallas.

Caveat: Obviously in Week 2 we don't know the final record, but I think its safe to say that this will be a historically bad season with no more than 3 wins.

With that out of the way, I am wondering how Coach Flores will be able to regain the respect and trust of this team moving forward after a really bad year. His players will have busted their *** for an entire season with little to show for it, so how will they react? Maybe it doesn't matter since a lot of these players, perhaps even the majority, will be gone. But how will the players who stay react to him? How will potential free agents view him?

It's a bit unfair for Flores since the GM intentionally set out to lose as much as possible this season, but he signed up for this. And he is doing more than his share to bring it to fruition.

So I wanted to take a look at how coaches who ended up with the #1 overall pick fared with the team after their massive failure of a season. I looked at every season since 2000. You can see the results below.

It doesn't look good for Flores.

The vast majority of HCs (13) who sucked enough to get the #1 overall pick were fired after that season. Only 3 lasted another season before being fired. 2 lasted 2 more season, while Marty Schottenheimer was the outlier spending another 3 (successful) seasons with the Chargers.

Of the 1st year HCs, only 2 spent more than 1 more season with the team: Steve Spagnuolo with Rams for 2 more seasons and Hue Jackson for 2 more (epically futile) seasons. 3 of the 1st year HCs were fired after their first year of failure. Lovie Smith was the only other 1st year coach who landed #1 pick and he lasted one more season.

Also of note, the vast majority of these coaches never got another HC gig in the NFL. Only John Fox, Jim Caldwell, and Gary Kubiak went on to get another HC gig with varying success. One thing to note about these guys is that all of them had substantial success with these teams prior to their disastrous #1 pick landing season.

So history does not bode well for Flores if this season ends how we all think it will. Fact is, its very difficult for these HCs who haven't already built some trust with players with previous success with the team or elsewhere to rebound from this sort of historic failure. For the majority of them, this kind of season effectively ends their careers as HC.

YearTeamCoachRecordPoints ForPoints AgainstDraft PickYear Coaching TeamTotal Record With TeamAdditional Years with TeamRecord with Team After #1 Pick
2000ChargersMike Riley1-15269440TRADED (LaDanian Tomlinson RB 5th Overall)2nd14-3415-11
2001PanthersGeorge Seifert1-15253410Julius Peppers DE (Expansion Texans had #1 Overall)3rd16-320N/A
2002BengalsDick LeBeau2-14279456Carson Palmer (QB)3rd12-330N/A
2003ChargersMarty Schottenheimer4-12313441TRADED (Philip Rivers QB 4th Overall)2nd47-33335-13
200449ersDennis Erickson2-14259452Alex Smith (QB)2nd9-230N/A
2005TexansDom Capers2-14260431Mario Williams (DE)4th18-460N/A
2006RaidersArt Shell2-14168332JaMarcus Russell (QB)1st2-140N/A
2007DolphinsCam Cameron1-15267437Jake Long (OT)1st1-150N/A
2008LionsRod Marinelli0-16268517Matthew Stafford (QB)3rd10-380N/A
2009RamsSteve Spagnuolo1-15175436Sam Bradford (QB)1st10-3829-23
2010PanthersJohn Fox2-14196408Cam Newton (QB)9th73-710N/A
2011ColtsJim Caldwell2-14243430Andrew Luck (QB)3rd36-280N/A
2012ChiefsRomeo Crennel2-14211425Eric Fisher (OT)2nd4-150N/A
2013TexansGary Kubiak2-14276428Jadeaveon Clowney (DE)8th61-640N/A
2014BuccaneersLovie Smith2-14277410Jameis Winston (QB)1st8-2416-10
2015TennesseeKen Whisenhunt3-13299423TRADED (Jack Conklin OT 8th Overall)2nd3-200N/A
2016BrownsHue Jackson1-15264452Myles Garrett (DE)1st3-3622-21-1
2017BrownsHue Jackson0-16234410Baker Mayfield (QB)2nd3-3612-5-1
2018CardinalsSteve Wilks3-13225425Kyler Murray (QB)1st3-130N/A

Flores is not going anywhere after year 1 and probably year 2 unless he goes winless two years in a row. This whole gutting the team was explained to Flores before he was fired. Flores is trying to win with this shell of a team but he knows ultimately his job is safe for a couple of years.

He's not going to regain the confidence of the team because history indicates such coaches like Flores will not survive, regardless of whatever he was told by ownership. Billionaires are fickle and they do not like to be publicly humiliated, they're also not noted for their humility and willingness to take responsibility for their lapses in judgment, that's what their subordinates are for. The majority stock holder doesn't fail the CEO and Board fails.

The only coach that survived winning one or fewer games in a season were Jimmy Johnson and Hue Jackson and this situation is a lot more like the latter then the former. And don't put it beyond the league office to intervene. They've done it before when teams were struggling with inept ownership. This might not be known to a lot of younger fans but the NFL commissioner at one point told George Young, who was then in the Miami front office to take the Giants' GM position because it was embarrassing to the league for them to be as bad as they were in the 60s and 70s.

The difference is that Jimmy Johnson was an excellent head coach when he was with the Cowboys. He also had a great coaching staff and since he was fresh out of college coaching, he knew what players to draft to rebuild quickly.

There is nothing I have seen yet to show that Flores is even a good headcoach, much less an excellent head coach. His coaching staff appears to be ordinary at best and perhaps below average.

During the Johnson era in Dallas free agency was not an issue and players either bought into the coaching staff or they were traded or cut. The money players were earning wasn’t close to the money they earn today. There were no guaranteed money or salary cap during his time in Dallas.

Coaches were not limited in regards to practice time. Players either went along with the program or they were out of the league. Today if a player doesn’t like his team or the situation he finds himself in on the team and he is a better player, he demands a trade, sits out games or leaves in free agency. None of these issues were something Johnson had to deal with when he was the Cowboys HC.

Back in the old days, it was do as I say or don’t let the door hit you butt on the way out. Now if players aren’t happy, they have options they didn’t have when Johnson was coaching in Dallas.

But that's the thing, did Jimmy Johnson really look like an excellent HC when the Cowboys went winless, and they ended up picking #1 overall?

I am not saying that our coaching is or will be as good as the cowboys, but it's still early for them on a team that has been stripped down of very little talent.

JJ didn’t go winless.

JJ also had a history of success as a national championship winning collegiate head coach to lean on.

Flores was never a head coach on any level, much less a successful one.

Crazy people are calling for Flores' head while he's working with a gutted roster. Not that I'm sold on him by any stretch..

I mean if he gets fired after the season, so be it. Its not a huge loss. With all this draft capital and cap space, it would be an attractive job. Much more attractive than last offseason when we hired our coach last.

I mean if he gets fired after the season, so be it. Its not a huge loss. With all this draft capital and cap space, it would be an attractive job. Much more attractive than last offseason when we hired our coach last.
It's ALWAYS best to make final judgements early, even before you have substantial evidence to base it on.

Back
Top Bottom