Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

I will never understand why fans don’t like when players want raises or want to renegotiate contracts. When Howard Signed his deal the dolphins gave him a lot of Fluff, highest paid corner in the NFL but most of the guranteed money was in first few years. He’s now in year 3 of the deal and entering into the back portion of his contract where the guranteed money is dwindling, since he signed his deal I believe 6 or 7 corners have gotten bigger deals including one of his team mates who he outperformed all season by a large margin. Howard just had 10 Ints which hadn’t done by any CB in 15 years. Of course he’s going to be looking to cash in on that. NFL contracts are never set in stone if a team can cut a player at any time (if there is no guranteed money) then a player has the right to hold out and negotiate a deal that gurantees them their money. It’s part of the process, hopefully dolphins can meet him in the middle and keep everyone happy, he is a vital part of this defense

20 mil a year is insane that’s like hitting the lottery every year to play football...insane

I will never understand why fans don’t like when players want raises or want to renegotiate contracts. When Howard Signed his deal the dolphins gave him a lot of Fluff, highest paid corner in the NFL but most of the guranteed money was in first few years. He’s now in year 3 of the deal and entering into the back portion of his contract where the guranteed money is dwindling, since he signed his deal I believe 6 or 7 corners have gotten bigger deals including one of his team mates who he outperformed all season by a large margin. Howard just had 10 Ints which hadn’t done by any CB in 15 years. Of course he’s going to be looking to cash in on that. NFL contracts are never set in stone if a team can cut a player at any time (if there is no guranteed money) then a player has the right to hold out and negotiate a deal that gurantees them their money. It’s part of the process, hopefully dolphins can meet him in the middle and keep everyone happy, he is a vital part of this defense

For me personally I have no problem with players holding out if they aren't getting paid like one of the best if they are in fact one of the best. Thats not the case with Howard we paid him like he was THE best CB in the NFL just a couple seasons ago. I understand since than he has moved down to 6th but thats the nature of inflation. If he wants a new deal because he feel he deserves more money because of the season he just had then the new deal should also include a lower salary should he regress or get injured. An extremely incentive based contract works best for both sides.

If anyone on the team should hold out for being underpaid it's Ogbah who is the 27th highest paid DE in the NFL.

Why don't we like it?

A couple of reasons: 1) When a greedy "me me me, look at me" player gets more money, it damages the team due to salary cap constraints that it puts on the ability to sign others. 2) Honor. This is an old-school thing, but when you sign your name on a contract, you are committing yourself to honor it, men who go back on their word... are worthless.

...and no, a player does NOT have the legal right to 'hold out' when there is no guaranteed money left in a contract. No legal right to do that at all... He still has the responsibility to fulfill what he has agree to do and finish the remaining time on said contract. The team has fulfilled it's end by paying all agreed upon salaries and bonuses... if there is no guaranteed money left, then said player must show up for work and earn the non-guaranteed money. That is the law.

...and yes, NFL contracts are not guaranteed for non-performance like they are in some sports. This comes down to the contract that the NFL players association has signed with the league. If the players don't like it; they can choose to negotiate for this in the next contract.

Fudge him he is under contract he will be done as a player when it expires

Why don't we like it?

A couple of reasons: 1) When a greedy "me me me, look at me" player gets more money, it damages the team due to salary cap constraints that it puts on the ability to sign others. 2) Honor. This is an old-school thing, but when you sign your name on a contract, you are committing yourself to honor it, men who go back on their word... are worthless.

...and no, a player does NOT have the legal right to 'hold out' when there is no guaranteed money left in a contract. No legal right to do that at all... He still has the responsibility to fulfill what he has agree to do and finish the remaining time on said contract. The team has fulfilled it's end by paying all agreed upon salaries and bonuses... if there is no guaranteed money left, then said player must show up for work and earn the non-guaranteed money. That is the law.

...and yes, NFL contracts are not guaranteed for non-performance like they are in some sports. This comes down to the contract that the NFL players association has signed with the league. If the players don't like it; they can choose to negotiate for this in the next contract.
Okay but to play devils advocate if you under perform NFL teams don’t “Honor the contract” they don’t pay you the money you were expecting to get when you signed that deal. If you get hurt and don’t have gurantees NFL teams will cut you in a second. The NFL is a very dangerous sport that brings in billions of dollars. In Xavien Howard’s case he has outplayed his contract and wants to renegotiate, there is nothing wrong with that. 20 mill a year may seem crazy but that’s what Jalen Ramsey just got paid Howard played at that level.

Everyone keeps saying Howard just signed his current deal... I believe he just finished year two of his deal and there's an option on his current contract so he could be a free agent after the 2021 season. I'm not saying they should keep him or trade him, I honestly see pros and cons for either move, but it's not that unusual for players to seek to renew or restructure their deals one year before they might be on the market again.
Not true

Okay but to play devils advocate if you under perform NFL teams don’t “Honor the contract” they don’t pay you the money you were expecting to get when you signed that deal. If you get hurt and don’t have gurantees NFL teams will cut you in a second. The NFL is a very dangerous sport that brings in billions of dollars. In Xavien Howard’s case he has outplayed his contract and wants to renegotiate, there is nothing wrong with that. 20 mill a year may seem crazy but that’s what Jalen Ramsey just got paid Howard played at that level.
If every player that "outplays" his contract threatened to hold out or asked for more money then half the teams wouldn't be able to keep their players. Contracts become almost pointless.

Well... if you are injured and can't play... and still under contract, you are protected until such time as you can pass a physical. They can't cut you while injured without paying you.

X may want to renegotiate, but the Dolphins have no legal responsibility to do so. He signed the contract and now he (and they) are legally bound by it... and he'll be fine. He makes lots of money, this is just an ego thing for him now... he's putting himself ahead of everyone else. Not a leader. Not a good person. If he holds out, the Dolphins can sue him for his previously accepted bonus money... and fine him.

I hope he's more of a man than to do this.

For me personally I have no problem with players holding out if they aren't getting paid like one of the best if they are in fact one of the best. Thats not the case with Howard we paid him like he was THE best CB in the NFL just a couple seasons ago. I understand since than he has moved down to 6th but thats the nature of inflation. If he wants a new deal because he feel he deserves more money because of the season he just had then the new deal should also include a lower salary should he regress or get injured. An extremely incentive based contract works best for both sides.

If anyone on the team should hold out for being underpaid it's Ogbah who is the 27th highest paid DE in the NFL.
Yeah I think a simple restructured deal could be beneficial and keep both sides happy. Bump up base salary slightly so he gets more than Byron, convert some money to guranteed money to give him a little more security. And then make a lot of the bonuses incentive based to protect us from injury’s. Not every BIG nfl contract is a good contract for the players.

Yes we have a few other players that we need to look at extending also. Ogbah, Baker and Gesicki stand out.

Yeah I think a simple restructured deal could be beneficial and keep both sides happy. Bump up base salary slightly so he gets more than Byron, convert some money to guranteed money to give him a little more security. And then make a lot of the bonuses incentive based to protect us from injury’s. Not every BIG nfl contract is a good contract for the players.

Yes we have a few other players that we need to look at extending also. Ogbah, Baker and Gesicki stand out.
Why? Just to salve his ego?

Sure, he isn't number 1 anymore... but he doesn't NEED to be.

Ogbah, Baker, and Gesicki are where a lot of our remaining cap will go. I know a lot of the posters here have elaborate FA dreams... but the money will likely go to these three players.

If every player that "outplays" his contract threatened to hold out or asked for more money then half the teams wouldn't be able to keep their players. Contracts become almost pointless.
When did Howard “hold out”? Is this just a media narrative or something. I remember 2 years ago when Howard wanted a new deal playing on his rookie contract him showing up to camp. All that’s happened this offseason is he’s hired a new agent and hoping to renegotiate with Miami. Hasn’t held out, missed training camp, caused a locker room stir and fans already wanna trade or cut out beat player

If X is actually smart... and not as greedy and selfish as I am portraying him to be, he will look at this year's cap... and then compare it to the cap in 2022 where it will be 40-50 millions dollars higher than next year, and get the Dolphins to agree to a renegotiation NEXT year if he performs well again.

THAT would be reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom