Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howard is going to hold out if he isnt the highest paid corner

Why? Just to salve his ego?

Sure, he isn't number 1 anymore... but he doesn't NEED to be.

Ogbah, Baker, and Gesicki are where a lot of our remaining cap will go. I know a lot of the posters here have elaborate FA dreams... but the money will likely go to these three players.
Salve his ego or compensate him for being the best player on his team and pay him like that however you wanna word it.

I totally agree take care of our own guys and then we may have space to add 1 meaningful FA addition.

When did Howard “hold out”? Is this just a media narrative or something. I remember 2 years ago when Howard wanted a new deal playing on his rookie contract him showing up to camp. All that’s happened this offseason is he’s hired a new agent and hoping to renegotiate with Miami. Hasn’t held out, missed training camp, caused a locker room stir and fans already wanna trade or cut out beat player
I didn't say he had held out. Im going by the heading of this actual post. Look at the top, you will see it. Its right there. Starts with Howard and the next 5 words are " is going to hold out".

If X is actually smart... and not as greedy and selfish as I am portraying him to be, he will look at this year's cap... and then compare it to the cap in 2022 where it will be 40-50 millions dollars higher than next year, and get the Dolphins to agree to a renegotiation NEXT year if he performs well again.

THAT would be reasonable.
Yeah that is true, it’s not really the best year to cash in. If he’s patient and repeats what he did this year next offseason he could get a monster deal if CAP skyrockets

Salve his ego or compensate him for being the best player on his team and pay him like that however you wanna word it.

I totally agree take care of our own guys and then we may have space to add 1 meaningful FA addition.
Yes, this is how I see it...

Guys who constantly want their contracts renegotiated are poison to me. As good as many of them are... their selfishness is not good for team unity or the good of the team in this salary cap era.

If he's just asking... and remains honorable... ok. But if he threatens to hold out... I'm going to tell him to pound sand.

I didn't say he had held out. Im going by the heading of this actual post. Look at the top, you will see it. Its right there. Starts with Howard and the next 5 words are " is going to hold out".
Yeah but Howard himself never said this, his agent didn’t say this. It’s really just speculation at this point

Yeah that is true, it’s not really the best year to cash in. If he’s patient and repeats what he did this year next offseason he could get a monster deal if CAP skyrockets
It's projected to go to 225 if Covid allows fans again... this year it will be somewhere between 175 and 190.

NEXT year, just about everyone will have lots of money except the teams who foolishly put off fixing their mangled caps (Philly, N.O. KC etc)

If this is true, does Howard's demands and the threat of holding out exceed the "It's just business" philosophy? Is squeaking out some extra millions so he can don the "highest-paid player" cape worth the possible disruption to the team? Considering he is already very highly paid, will his teammates consider him selfish, or will they view this as a smart business decision?

Best corner in NFL is only 2nd highest paid corner on his own team. Wants fair pay. Fans revolt with ironic "sacrifice for the team" as their best interests are only rooted in watching a 2% better product from their couches.

News at 11.

If this is true, does Howard's demands and the threat of holding out exceed the "It's just business" philosophy? Is squeaking out some extra millions so he can don the "highest-paid player" cape worth the possible disruption to the team? Considering he is already very highly paid, will his teammates consider him selfish, or will they view this as a smart business decision?
Some of both, I suspect... which means he is losing support from some of them.

In 2019 Howard got paid like the top corner in the League and ranked as #4. This year PFF has him ranked at #2. He's already played one year being the highest paid corner in the League. Since he signed his 5 year contract he hasn't been ranked #1. He can revisit his contract at the end of it or get ranked #1 next year to justify what he's already been paid. Otherwise, shut up and play.

If he doesn't want to do that well then I still like Howard and Tua for Watson straight up and keep all our picks...

Have you ever noticed when the words 'business decision' are used that it usually implies something less than fair or moral? Well, of course we had to remove the safety features, it was a 'business decision'. Well... we didn't want to lay off those workers but giving out executive bonuses was a 'business decision'.

It's very Orwellian.

That said... if X is just asking for more money, instead of threatening to hold out if he doesn't get it... then ok. It's never a bad thing to ASK for a raise.

He just signed a deal last year and he only played in 5 games last year.

he wants to renegotiate? Given his injury history, I would tie his salary to games played

Best corner in NFL is only 2nd highest paid corner on his own team. Wants fair pay. Fans revolt with ironic "sacrifice for the team" as their best interests are only rooted in watching a 2% better product from their couches.

News at 11.
Asking for a new deal while honoring your prior contract, I would take no issue with that professional approach. Already hearing whispers of holding out for a new deal is a different animal all together.

Wants fair pay huh? You mean the fair pay he negotiated that just started this past season? You mean the fair pay that made him the highest paid CB in the NFL at the time of signing , even though he had only started 16 games once in his career?

You want to be the highest paid CB every year? Take a 1 year deal or add opt outs. This isn't rocket science.

Stop acting like he didn't have the ability to take a different contract structure. He's getting paid what he agreed too play for.

Also keep this in mind, those people on the "couch" are the only reason he gets paid mountains of money. The average citizen who busts his ass 40+ hours a week and can barley afford to go to an NFL game. You know the ones who might sacrifice a bit of money to support the team.

Edit: Also with X I could definitely see us making his contract guaranteed, but changing the value already? No way.

Asking for a new deal while honoring your prior contract, I would take no issue with that professional approach. Already hearing whispers of holding out for a new deal is a different animal all together.

Wants fair pay huh? You mean the fair pay he negotiated that just started this past season? You mean the fair pay that made him the highest paid CB in the NFL at the time of signing , even though he had only started 16 games once in his career?

You want to be the highest paid CB every year? Take a 1 year deal or add opt outs. This isn't rocket science.

Stop acting like he didn't have the ability to take a different contract structure. He's getting paid what he agreed too play for.

Also keep this in mind, those people on the "couch" are the only reason he gets paid mountains of money. The average citizen who busts his *** 40+ hours a week and can barley afford to go to an NFL game. You know the ones who might sacrifice a bit of money to support the team.

Edit: Also with X I could definitely see us making his contract guaranteed, but changing the value already? No way.
If you were the highest paid person at your place of work amongst your peers and the company hired someone else for more who after awhile you knew didn't do as much as you, you'd be cool with it?

Show me someone who would be fine with that and I'll show you a beta sucker.

Always fight for what you're worth. Always.

Defining your own worth by what someone else is paid... is kind of small.

Always looking out for #1 makes you... kind of selfish.

There has to be a balance.

Back
Top Bottom