I Want A ****ing Italian To Be Next Dolphins Coach: Vic Fangio | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Want A ****ing Italian To Be Next Dolphins Coach: Vic Fangio

Of course I'm "Eye" Talian!!! Born and Raised in New York!!! Ohhhh Aaaaa!!! You know it's "Gravy" not "Sauce"!!

Born in Queens. My pops ran with Gotti back in the days. I knew his son Jr. when I was a young boy then in 1981 we moved to California where I raised and lived there to 2009. Now in Montana alone because I am on the WPP. Capisci.

Fangio strikes me as a very credible candidate for Head Coach based on his vast experience on Defense. However, I struggle to understand why the OP felt the need to bring his Italian heritage into the discussion. Does it matter if Fangio has Calabrese or Sicilian or Napolitano Italian heritage? What does it matter if he's of Irish, Dutch, Lithuanian Jew, Chinese or Transylvanian transexual vampire heritage - we need someone who understands and inspires leadership and also has the ability to develop talent. It doesn't matter to me if he has an Offense/Defense/Special Teams experience.
In a way, Vic Fangio represents a Mike Zimmer type of coaching candidate. Zimmer, as you are probably aware had enjoyed a vast proven defensive philosophy with a tough, strict no nonsense approach to discipline on Defense. There had been a reticence to appoint him as a Head Coach, because it was not perceived as a sexy pick like the latest hot Offensive Coordinator. However, Minnesota Vikings gave him a go and they progressively improved under him until this season.
Hey, I hoped Adam Gase would succeed but progressively his limitations were exposed. His success in Denver was all about exploiting matchups and in Peyton Manning, he was lucky enough to have an elite QB who knew exactly what he was doing. Make no mistake, Gase can succeed again on Offense when he has a top QB and a lot of talent around him. Tannehill's deficiencies have also been exposed in recent weeks. Yes, he's got a pretty accurate arm. Yes, he's a deceptively tough soldier. Yes, he has decent character and won't get into trouble off the field or say something stupid in front of a camera. However, what has been exposed over and over again is that he completely lacks instincts when his protection breaks down. In comparison, Russell Wilson, Roethlisberger, Brady and even some of the young emerging athletic QBs all seem to have much better instincts than Tannehill.
If Fangio gets the job in Miami, he's going to need good coaches around him - particularly on Offense, but he's also going to need a good QB (who can remain healthy and hopefully with decent instincts).

Its just my opinion I prefer Italians is that so wrong? I am Italian so what.

I wonder if Fangio would come with a “coach in waiting.” Basically calm the waters, get the team competitive, maybe a trending upwards fringe playoff team, then turn it over to a protege. Just say this because of his age.

Fangio as HC with Kris Richard as DC and protege would be great. Richard would probably be offered a head coaching job by another team though.

I Want A ****ing Italian To Be Next Dolphins Coach: Vic Fangio

Vic Fangio –

Tied to Head Coaching jobs in the past, Fangio has instead kept to his craft of coaching dominant defenses – and boy did he ever in 2018. Fangio will not be available until the Bears are eliminated from post-season contention (they play Sunday vs. Philadelphia), but his work transforming that side of the football was instrumental in Chicago’s first trip to the post-season since 2010.

Fangio does two things very well; build great defenses ,– and great scheming. Fangio directed the number one defense in the NFL in 2018, up from his 2017 work where he had the Bears in the top 10.

Those big jumps took some time as the Bears ranked 20th and 24th in total defense in Fangio’s first two years. The 2014 defense Fangio took over was 30th in the NFL.

The story was the same in San Francisco prior to his arrival. A good defense in 2010 (13thoverall), Fangio’s four years brought back two second-ranked defenses, a third-ranking and a fifth-ranked squad in 2014.

Fangio was at the forefront of the coaching vacancies around the league in 2017, but declined to move on because of what he was building in Chicago. He also felt that coaching defense in Chicago was a privilege and something he didn’t take lightly.

Fangio spent one year at the college ranks with Jim Harbaugh (who brought him to San Francisco for the 49ers job thereafter). Prior to that, Fangio was on John Harbaugh’s Baltimore Ravens staff in 2008 and 2009 (a holdover from Brian Billick’s Ravens’ staff).

Fangio, age 60, has been coaching football since the 1970’s. He’s never been the Head Coach anywhere, but neither was Bruce Arians until his Coach of the Year 2012 season with the Indianapolis Colts.

“He’s an evil Italian genius mobster type Coach.” – Khalil Mack

“He’s a mob boss – the godfather all the way in coaching.” – Aaron Lynch

“Lord Fangio,” as he was referred to in San Francisco, has the admiration of his players and coaches alike.

Don Shula is Italian, Tony Sparano RIP Italian, and I vote for Vic "The Brick" Fangio

If this is a true re-build we need a MF like him a GODFATHER type coach who demands the best or your dead. Capisci!! Enough is Enough!!
Shula is not Italian, not even close. He’s parents are Hungarian lol let’s not just make stuff up

Fangio's time with Nagy is also encouraging. Fangio is very bright and schemes as well as any DC in the sport. I'd think he recognizes the difference between a modern NFL offense, like Nagy is running in Chicago, and the **** that Gase has run the last five years (in Chicago and Miami). Despite a mediocre QB, Chicago scored 26.3 PPG in 2018 - which essentially puts them in the 2nd tier; only the Chiefs, Rams, and Saints scored more than 1 PPG more than the Bears. Part of that is Fangio's D creating TO's, but Nagy's schemes are excellent. Fangio should have the clout to bring in an OC who has a forward-thinking approach.

Agree Fangio seem like a smart choice- brings NFL experience, years of exposure, from all counts he is respected.

His nicknames include- evil Def genius among others. He will solidify defense and bring an aura of toughness that this team has lacked since Sparano.

He can find an Offensive geek to draw plays on the side and figure out how to move the football.

I don’t think Fangio fits in eyes of Jets Packer and Browns- I can see them looking to a young OFF coach.

Beyond those jobs, I believe we are the best job opening.
This seems like a damn good fit.
I’m going to listen to some of his pressers to get feel for Fangio.

i want a head coach that means business...i am sick of these glorified oc's who get hired and preach about an uptempo offense but on gameday they make it to the line of scrimmage with 8 seconds left on the play clock and have to burn a timeout cuz they cant get the play off

but i want a head coach who brings smash mouth football back to miami, discipline and fundamentals would be nice too. Enough of these finesse linemen, enough of the presnap penalties, enough of the missed tackles and poor effort. We need a real leader at head coach who demands respect, not some self proclaimed guru who sits on the bench doing crossword puzzles while the defense is on the field.

this is where a head coach with experience would be huge in my opinion. I like the prospect of up-and-comers from good teams coaching staffs but weve been burned twice and wasted alot of time. This team doesnt need a coach who is your friend, or a "players coach", they need a stern, no bs, authoritative coach that means business and holds players accountable. Has the players prepared and ready to play from the opening whistle till the end.

Ross needs to get this decision right this time.

Back
Top Bottom