I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans. | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans.

True.

However, any QB in this draft has shown even less at the NFL level. They may succeed or may be a bust. However, if the Dolphins don't provide a better team for whomever the QB is, it won't matter much. Green and Lemon combined for 1 win last year. The team was bad.

I fully expect and hope the Phins pick up a young QB at some point this year. But unless they can solidify the OL and provide better receiving weapons, we will stink again.

I expect great things out of this coaching staff and they will make the best decisions for this team. If that is drafting another QB at #1 or #32, then that is what they will do.

However, based on what I hear and read, it wouldn't surprise me if a young QB is drafted in round 3 at the earliest.

Well we agree on most everything...except where the QB will be drafted. It wouldn't shock me to see one taken with the 32nd pick....especially when you don't have much coming out in next years draft. All teams know this...thats why we should see a run of the QB's...early...not later.

I know that it's tough to trade and you can't assume someone will do it. That's the reason in my post I mentioned a straight up trade. I'm assuming that no one wants to trade into #1. However, I'm also sure that if Parcells stood up tommorrow and said he's willing to trade the #1 straight up for a pick in the top 10 with nothing else needed, the phone would certainly be ringing. Obviously I don;t think we would do that. But looking at value, I'm asking who do you value more, Otah or Long? If we did a theoretical drop 5 -10 spots (WITHOUT GETTING ANYTHING ELSE IN RETURN), would a Otah at the salary of a #5 pick be better than a Long with a #1 salary? I know this is theory but I'm just using it to get some perspective on value.

Thanks for answering CK I appreciate your input.

I have Jeff Otah graded higher than Jake Long, if that's what you're getting at. Anything else about trading for zero compensation or just allowing our time to expire is, IMO, useless conjecture.

CK,

How would you quantify the odds of our #1 pick, as of right now?
I'd speculate:

65% Chris Long
25% Jake Long
5% Glenn Dorsey
5% Matt Ryan
(Gholston: 1 in a 1,000)

CK,

How would you quantify the odds of our #1 pick, as of right now?
I'd speculate:

65% Chris Long
25% Jake Long
5% Glenn Dorsey
5% Matt Ryan
(Gholston: 1 in a 1,000)

Do you really feel it will be one of those 4?

I think there is still an outside chance of someone else but I think the Longs are the clubhouse leaders at this point.

I have Jeff Otah graded higher than Jake Long, if that's what you're getting at. Anything else about trading for zero compensation or just allowing our time to expire is, IMO, useless conjecture.

CK, here's a question I've had for a while now. As I understand it, the Dolphins have the exclusive right to negotiate contract terms and agree to contracts before the draft right? In the book Moneyball (About the GM of the Oakland A's and how he handled the position), it talks about him offering to make some catcher that wasn't expected to go in the first couple rounds his first round pick in exchange for taking lower than first round but higher than where he would've been drafted money. Why couldn't we offer Jeff Otah #5 pick money to be the #1 overall? He gets the prestige of being #1 overall, gets more money than he probably would've gotten otherwise (I keep seeing him in the teens, but forgive me if his draft stock has risen dramatically), and the Dolphins save a load of cash. This wouldn't violate any existing rules would it?

Jeff Otah's agent would never let that happen., nor would any one looking out for the guy.

Also everyone in the draft would be making less money cuzz of one agents doing..........................The Agent would never be an "Agent" again.

Then you'd have some crazy like pac~man Jones saying Otah's taking food from one of his 10 kids , then Jeff would be dead..........................

CK, here's a question I've had for a while now. As I understand it, the Dolphins have the exclusive right to negotiate contract terms and agree to contracts before the draft right? In the book Moneyball (About the GM of the Oakland A's and how he handled the position), it talks about him offering to make some catcher that wasn't expected to go in the first couple rounds his first round pick in exchange for taking lower than first round but higher than where he would've been drafted money. Why couldn't we offer Jeff Otah #5 pick money to be the #1 overall? He gets the prestige of being #1 overall, gets more money than he probably would've gotten otherwise (I keep seeing him in the teens, but forgive me if his draft stock has risen dramatically), and the Dolphins save a load of cash. This wouldn't violate any existing rules would it?

I know you posed this question for CK, but I had a couple thoughts on this, so I'll take a stab.
1. Otah's agent would demand #1 money, if taken #1. Otherwise, the agent looks like a fool (to his clients & potential future clients).

2. Otah (and his agent) would say, "well, you're drafting him #1, and that's what the market dictates".

I know you posed this question for CK, but I had a couple thoughts on this, so I'll take a stab.
1. Otah's agent would demand #1 money, if taken #1. Otherwise, the agent looks like a fool (to his clients & potential future clients).

2. Otah (and his agent) would say, "well, you're drafting him #1, and that's what the market dictates".

Well, the thing is that Otah is well within his rights to say no and we end up drafting the consensus best LT in Jake Long and paying him the #1 overall money or we go down the line and offer other similar "we'll pay you higher than you'll get otherwise, but not #1 money" offers for people we believe to be worth it. Truth is that if Otah had no chance at going higher than #6 and his agent turned down the offer for #5 money, he'd be doing Otah (and, consequently, the agent's checkbook) a big disservice.

I'm sure there was similar agent resistance for bucking the trend in the baseball world with Beane too. That said, what Beane did was more like offering a consensus 3rd round pick second round money to be a first round pick, so it was more of a no-brainer for the kid being drafted.

CK, who do you think the Dolphins may target at CB in the 2nd round? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Parcells likes big, physical CBs.

I'm glad someone said it . . . that has gotta be the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard . . . the expiring of time humored me . . . but to trade down with zero compensation is just mind boggling to think of. Makes absolutely ZERO sense.

Jeff Otah's agent would never let that happen., nor would any one looking out for the guy.

Also everyone in the draft would be making less money cuzz of one agents doing..........................The Agent would never be an "Agent" again.

Then you'd have some crazy like pac~man Jones saying Otah's taking food from one of his 10 kids , then Jeff would be dead..........................

I have to vehemently disagree with you. I hadn't thought about that strategy but it could make a lot of sense. There IS a precedent for this.

Aaron Rodgers was willing to take less money to go to San Fran then he should have gotten had he been #1. The agent works for the player and must pass the info on to the player honestly. The player makes decisions based on what's best for him, not what's best for the agent or the rest of the guys getting drafted.

If we go to the agent and offer say #10 money the agent will have to pass that on. Otah is not dumb (he went to Vandy), he'll love the prestige of going #1 and he'll probably ask what he'll make should he turn this offer down. There is no guarantee that he will even be taken in the top 10. With Clady and Williams highly ranked, he would be taking a chance at losing A LOT of money should he slide to the late teens (very real possibility).

I really like the idea that if we realize there is no market to trade the pick, we should start negotiating with the players and see what the financial side would be for each player. Or at least use that as a strategy to bring down the cost of the guy you have rated #1.

So if you had to take a tackle at #1, would you pick Otah or Long CK?

Yeah in my convoluted way that's basically what I was asking. Thanks CK. It would feel a bit weird taking a guy #1 that you have rated lower than a guy that gets taken #5-#20. :rolleyes2:

The only reason the comparison between Beck and Ryan came up is b/c Ryan's supporters were claiming that Ryan was so much better. Therefore it was logical to analyze if he indeed was.

I don't believe that Beck's height or his release point will be the hinge point for his success or failure. He didn't struggle last year b/c he couldn't find passing lanes. He struggled b/c he wasn't ready. He didn't know enough of the playbook well enough which caused him to spend too much time thinking. As a result (and b/c of the rise in level) everything was just too fast.

I would also love to hear the radar gun times for Ryan. His arm doesn't seem anywhere as strong as Beck's. And when I say as strong, I mean velocity, not distance. I feel that some of his interceptions were caused b/c the ball didn't get there fast enough. That is one my concerns with him in the NFL. I think he has a strong enough arm if he is more of a game manager but I'm not sure it's strong enough for a gun slinger mentality.

Back
Top Bottom