I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans. | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I would like to hear more opinions of CK and Boomer about our draft plans.

The only reason the comparison between Beck and Ryan came up is b/c Ryan's supporters were claiming that Ryan was so much better. Therefore it was logical to analyze if he indeed was.

I don't believe that Beck's height or his release point will be the hinge point for his success or failure. He didn't struggle last year b/c he couldn't find passing lanes. He struggled b/c he wasn't ready. He didn't know enough of the playbook well enough which caused him to spend too much time thinking. As a result (and b/c of the rise in level) everything was just too fast.

I would also love to hear the radar gun times for Ryan. His arm doesn't seem anywhere as strong as Beck's. And when I say as strong, I mean velocity, not distance. I feel that some of his interceptions were caused b/c the ball didn't get there fast enough. That is one my concerns with him in the NFL. I think he has a strong enough arm if he is more of a game manager but I'm not sure it's strong enough for a gun slinger mentality.

I see more velocity on Matt Ryan's throws than I generally do with Beck. Ryan's out patterns whistle and pop. His deep ball is a thing to behold, and he throws cross-body as well as anyone out there. It isn't Jamarcus Russell, but it's a damn good arm.

If forced? Otah, yes.

That's surprising. I haven't seen enough of Otah to agree or disagree but I understood that Long was a much better run blocker and if you believe that pass blocking on an island is a less important skill than it used to be than I expected you to value Long more. I'm assuming, of course, that you believe that Long is at least a decent pass blocker.

What Did Payton Manning Prove In His First Year And He Had 16 Games To Play. Squat!!!!! How About His Brother. Squat!!!!! Farve Was A Third Stringer In Atlanta Before Going To G.b. And Still Was A Second Stringer Until "magic" Got Hurt. When I Hear You People Talking About He Hasn't Proven Anything It Seems Like I'm Hearing From People That Don't Know Anything About Football. First Of All The Guy Only Played In A Few Games. Practiced With The Third Team Pretty Much Over Half The Year And Was Thrown To The Wolves Against Phili And Pitt. Not To Mention The Pitt Game Was One Of The Worst Conditions I Have Ever Seen On A Football Field. So People Grow A Brain.

Matt (little Girl) Ryan Comp %
2005- 62.1 %
2006 - 61.6 %
2007 - 59.3 %

Passer Rating

2005 - 135.68
2006 - 126.38
2007 - 127.04

John (big Gun) Beck Comp %
2004- 56.0 %
2005 - 64.5 %
2006 - 69.3 %

Passer Rating
2004 - 128.51
2005 - 137.55
2006 - 169.06

What I See Is That Beck Got Better Each Year And Matty Declined Each Year.

Beck Td's Over His Last Last Three Years In College 74

Matt (little Girl) Ryan Over His Last Three Years In College 54

Who Would I Rather Have On My Team................

The Biggest No Brainer In The History Of Earth.. John Beck!!!!!!!!!!!

If forced? Otah, yes.

Not to be argumentative, but last year you would have picked Joe Staley over Joe Thomas. I hope that you rethink your position. Selecting players, stocks, whatever, sometimes overthought and overanalysis can get the best of people. Occam's Razor all the way on this one.

If forced? Otah, yes.

Wow thanks. So who do you think will be a better OLB, Chris Long or Gholston? Because if Parcells wants a pass rush OLB, I would put Gholston ahead of Long. And there goes all the "Chris Long to #1 pick" mocks

Not to be argumentative, but last year you would have picked Joe Staley over Joe Thomas. I hope that you rethink your position. Selecting players, stocks, whatever, sometimes overthought and overanalysis can get the best of people. Occam's Razor all the way on this one.

While it is very true that I talked up Joe Staley constantly, even saying I'd take him at #9 overall, I think you would be hard pressed to find an instance where I said that I would take Joe Staley above Joe Thomas.

However, if you're right and I did say that, what do you want me to say? Congratulations, you found an instance where my position rankings were incorrect? Whooptee. You going to tell me that Mel Kiper's position rankings don't look like swiss cheese after a few years, it's so full of holes? If you're trying to warn off about overthinking things, think of how broad a criticism that is. Can't you say that about any single thing I say? I was wrong once, so now I'm overthinking things? Couldn't that apply to my opinion about Matt Ryan? Or Chris Long? Or Vernon Gholston? Or Glenn Dorsey? I'm overthinking?

That's surprising. I haven't seen enough of Otah to agree or disagree but I understood that Long was a much better run blocker and if you believe that pass blocking on an island is a less important skill than it used to be than I expected you to value Long more. I'm assuming, of course, that you believe that Long is at least a decent pass blocker.

I think that Otah is a throwback, but a good throwback. He can get on par with a Jon Ogden or an Orlando Pace, IMO. He's got sweet feet, they're always moving and he's got tremendous balance to go with his awesome force. Yes, he and Jake Long are very different. But why does that mean I automatically have to view one as great and the other as crap? Some guys are Jason Taylor and some guys are Michael Strahan.

I see more velocity on Matt Ryan's throws than I generally do with Beck. Ryan's out patterns whistle and pop. His deep ball is a thing to behold, and he throws cross-body as well as anyone out there. It isn't Jamarcus Russell, but it's a damn good arm.

I have said all along that Ryan can make all the throws to be a real good NFL QB. The deep out is a big one for me. That is a pass you have to consistently complete to excel at the NFL level. Across his body is unbelievable. That is a great test for a QB and Ryan's arm is strong in this area.

I liked your point I read today about Ryan getting on a streak. Once he gets on a streak and gets confidence he makes mistakes. Does this show lack of poise and if so how can that be corrected?

What Did Payton Manning Prove In His First Year And He Had 16 Games To Play. Squat!!!!! How About His Brother. Squat!!!!! Farve Was A Third Stringer In Atlanta Before Going To G.b. And Still Was A Second Stringer Until "magic" Got Hurt. When I Hear You People Talking About He Hasn't Proven Anything It Seems Like I'm Hearing From People That Don't Know Anything About Football. First Of All The Guy Only Played In A Few Games. Practiced With The Third Team Pretty Much Over Half The Year And Was Thrown To The Wolves Against Phili And Pitt. Not To Mention The Pitt Game Was One Of The Worst Conditions I Have Ever Seen On A Football Field. So People Grow A Brain.

Matt (little Girl) Ryan Comp %
2005- 62.1 %
2006 - 61.6 %
2007 - 59.3 %

Passer Rating

2005 - 135.68
2006 - 126.38
2007 - 127.04

John (big Gun) Beck Comp %
2004- 56.0 %
2005 - 64.5 %
2006 - 69.3 %

Passer Rating
2004 - 128.51
2005 - 137.55
2006 - 169.06

What I See Is That Beck Got Better Each Year And Matty Declined Each Year.

Beck Td's Over His Last Last Three Years In College 74

Matt (little Girl) Ryan Over His Last Three Years In College 54

Who Would I Rather Have On My Team................

The Biggest No Brainer In The History Of Earth.. John Beck!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW we are all starting to see your point. Passer rating and a 1% drop in completion percentage from year to year, tell us more.

I have said all along that Ryan can make all the throws to be a real good NFL QB. The deep out is a big one for me. That is a pass you have to consistently complete to excel at the NFL level. Across his body is unbelievable. That is a great test for a QB and Ryan's arm is strong in this area.

I liked your point I read today about Ryan getting on a streak. Once he gets on a streak and gets confidence he makes mistakes. Does this show lack of poise and if so how can that be corrected?

You just have to keep him wound up, keep him thinking about technique and letting the game come to him. Drill it into his head with repetition, hope he gets it.

You just have to keep him wound up, keep him thinking about technique and letting the game come to him. Drill it into his head with repetition, hope he gets it.

and you can keep drill into his head that his first 6 games of his senior year wasnt a fluke. that pretty much the rest of his career was!

:foundout:

What do you think of Oniel Cousins? I like the guy but its more on potential than actual production. I'm not even sure he could start his first year. I think potentially he could be a left tackle, though that may be three years down the line. I'm trying to figure out what round he would go in. 3rd?

I think that Otah is a throwback, but a good throwback. He can get on par with a Jon Ogden or an Orlando Pace, IMO. He's got sweet feet, they're always moving and he's got tremendous balance to go with his awesome force. Yes, he and Jake Long are very different. But why does that mean I automatically have to view one as great and the other as crap? Some guys are Jason Taylor and some guys are Michael Strahan.

I never claimed you felt either was crap. I just figured that if you rated Long as pretty good pass blocker and Otah as bit better and Long as this dominant, road grader run blocker with Otah somewhere below that then you would also rate Long as preferable in an environment where pass blocking on an island is diminishing in importance. Otherwise I figured you'd correct my assumption about your evals by saying Otah is just also a dominant road grader run blocker or Long isn't that dominant of a run blocker. Since I haven't watched Otah I don't know more than what I've read. I don't really put much stock in most media opinions so I wanted to hear yours.

i think the dolphins will pass on matt ryan...and will regret it for the next few years just like drew brees. also when i look at clips of john beck at byu he never had any kind of a pass rush on him, it always seemed like he had all day to throw. i have a bad feeling about this quarterback nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom