Ian seems to be coming my way | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ian seems to be coming my way

Thinking of you all down there, continue to stay safe, don't take any chances. Some of the footage is shocking clean up is going to be horrendous :(

I have a question, may be dumb. Is it common to have whole-home generators down there for times like this? Just curious.
Very common.

Every time we get hit I look into it.

If it was just the cost I'd probably have done it long ago.

It's the upkeep, etc. that always keeps me from pulling the trigger.

I have a question, may be dumb. Is it common to have whole-home generators down there for times like this? Just curious.
A lot of us in the Bahamas have them myself included not only for Hurricanes but we used to have a lot of power outages. Not so bad any more but we are fortunate to have one.

Most people want one but most people don't.....when a hurricane is coming they all want to buy one but by then they're all gone....lol
We put one in our home in the Redlands after Andrew and it came in handy several times over the years. When we moved to Key Largo a few years ago, we made sure the home had a backup generator to run everything in the house.

While they are expensive and and it’s not something you use that often. The generator certainly gives us peace of mind if a storm is headed in our direction and we lose power.

Very common.

We start our generator once a month and run it for about 30 minutes. It’s really no different than maintaining a car as long as you don’t just wait until a storm is coming to start it up.

The best option, if you can afford it, is a generator that runs off your natural gas line. Generac is the standard in this space, and you can run everything off them, including your A/C. Most people have the portable ones that run off gasoline. You can run your lights and your fridge, but that is about it. It can't run your A/C. And you have to make sure you are running it outside your house. They are noisy and smelly, so your neighbors are really happy with you! lol

We start our generator once a month and run it for about 30 minutes. It’s really no different than maintaining a car as long as you don’t just wait until a storm is coming to start it up.
Did you do a slab for it and bury the big gas tank?

I haven't read the entire thread but threads like these put things into perspective about what is important in life. NFL games are just meaningless entertainment after all. I sincerely hope you are doing well Danny and to everyone in harm's way of this hurricane, you will be in my thoughts and I wish you all the best in health. Stay safe folks.

Ours does self maintenance once a week which saves us having to worry about it until in needs service.

I haven't read the entire thread but threads like these put things into perspective about what is important in life. NFL games are just meaningless entertainment after all. I sincerely hope you are doing well Danny and to everyone in harm's way of this hurricane, you will be in my thoughts and I wish you all the best in health. Stay safe folks.
very true....we all love football/sports but when this things happen it's a reminder of what's really important

Very common.

I live in an area of NJ where power is unreliable even during minor storms. After Sandy, right before I moved into the neighborhood, power was out for almost 3 weeks. We’ve been here 9 years now and almost every year, we would be without power for at least a week. We finally got tired of having to relocate, since we have well water and septic - no power means no water. Bit the bullet and bought the permanent whole-home generator. Upkeep isn’t too bad. It test runs every two weeks. You need to check the oil occasionally. We actually have the installation company service it annually. The piece of mind is invaluable.

Expensive, but we’ll worth it. Good for resale too.

We have slabs for our generator and propane tank. The tank weighs a ton as it's 80 gallon and sheltered in our yard. Never even moved through a few hurricanes.
They told me the gas tank would be buried underground somewhere on my property. Oy.

Back
Top Bottom