If (When) Miami Has #1 Overall Pick in 2020... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If (When) Miami Has #1 Overall Pick in 2020...

Trade #1 Overall Pick?

• Yes

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 71.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Best thing that could happen for the rebuild is what I keep saying...Rosen proves it on the field this season. Then you build around him with the massive draft capital and cap space. If Rosen looks the part, I am definitely trading the 2020 #1 overall pick for a king’s ransom.

The one thing you have to absolutely get right is the QB situation. Being honest with you Rosen would have to blow the hinges off the door to make me feel comfortable enough to by-pass drafting a QB.

Honestly, there is virtually no scenario where i wouldn't draft a QB if i'm Miami.

Rosen throws for 100TDs and 0 INT? I'm still drafting a w QB...

I would rather have a Philip Rivers and Drew Brees situation and figure it out later

Not really I can get 6-1 in Vegas for the fins having the worst record. I’d be happy to give even money and take the field.

The 6-1 is a solid bet. How many other teams even have a chance at being worse than us? Cardinals, Bengals maybe bottom team in NFC east.

There aren't many, that's how truly putrid this roster is. It's going to take great coaching to get to 3 or 4 wins IMO.

The one thing you have to absolutely get right is the QB situation. Being honest with you Rosen would have to blow the hinges off the door to make me feel comfortable enough to by-pass drafting a QB.

Honestly, there is virtually no scenario where i wouldn't draft a QB if i'm Miami.

Rosen throws for 100TDs and 0 INT? I'm still drafting a w QB...

I would rather have a Philip Rivers and Drew Brees situation and figure it out later

So here’s the question...

Let’s say Rosen plays well in 10 games this season. He looks the part, much improved over last year with Arizona.

The Dolphins finish with the #5 overall pick.

Are you trading all of the draft capital the Dolphins just acquired to move up from #5 to #1 to get your choice of Tua, Herbert, or Fromm (assuming 7 months from now they remain the consensus top-rated QBs)?

I’m not trading away that draft capital. I’m drafting players to re-stock this barren roster around Rosen. If Rosen starts in 2020 (when he will still be under 25 years old), hits his ceiling, and his ceiling isn’t good enough....then I’ll go all-in and pay the price to get a QB in the 2021 draft.

Let’s say Rosen plays well in 10 games this season. He looks the part, much improved over last year with Arizona.

Are you trading all of the draft capital the Dolphins just acquired to move up from #5 to #1 to get your choice of Tua, Herbert, or Fromm (assuming 7 months from now they remain the consensus top-rated QBs)?

I’m not trading away that draft capital. I’m drafting players to re-stock this barren roster around Rosen. If Rosen starts in 2020 (when he will still be under 25 years old), hits his ceiling, and his ceiling isn’t good enough....then I’ll go all-in and pay the price to get a QB in the 2021 draft.

Exactly! The team could go 2-14 and Rosen could still show he has something. The roster is weak. No QB in history is going to step onto the field and make it a contender.

I disagree. The fact that Flores was given a 5 year deal suggests they have at least 3 seasons to show they're headed in the right direction. The only way they get canned is if they mess up at the draft, and the easiest way to do that is to reach for someone. Tua might be the best QB available without being anywhere near the best player. How many of the top QB's playing in the NFL right now were drafted with the 1st overall pick?
No front office would gamble on waiting two years to draft a QB when they might be in a position to have their choice of QB's in the upcoming draft. There are just too many variables to project that far out.

They may be the top consensus QB's, but we would have to have a conviction that they would be a top 8 (5? 10?) QB in the league internally. Don't know if we will.

Lawrence was 13/23 168yds 1TD 2INT against Georgia Tech, while Tua was 26/31 336yds 4TD 0INT against Duke.

Can this narrative that Lawrence is better than Tua based on the only game people have watched of either of them die, please?

Easy answer, they pull the trigger on a franchise QB at #1 in 2020.

Let's look at the alternatives.

1) Rosen balls out and conclusively determines that he's the man for the future … so we'll not get that #1 overall pick.

2) Rosen has positives and minuses but trends up and flashes great ability, enough to warrant another 1 year trial period. Well, if we don't draft a QB in 2020, the coaching staff is kinda wed to Rosen at that point, so if Rosen falls on his face in 2020, this coaching staff is likely replaced and some other coach pulls the trigger on the QB in 2021. Or, Grier gets replaced and the new GM brings in his guy. Either way, too much pressure on the coaching staff to string it out.

3) Rosen fails to convince. If we don't draft a QB then, the coaching staff will almost certainly be fired before the 2021 draft, and the new staff comes in with a TON of young talent and a top young QB from the 2021 draft to look absolutely fantastic compared to our current coaching staff. This is the proverbial worst case scenario for Coach Flo and staff, not to mention the new GM who replaces Grier if we don't draft a QB after Rosen flops.

4) Rosen flops but we receive a king's ransom for the top pick …. like maybe three 1sts and two 2nds. Well, it would be hard to say no to that, but there's still a 50/50 chance that this warchest of draft picks is spent by another coaching staff and GM, even if it is the right thing to do to take those picks in trade.

Each alternative seems to put a lot of pressure on the coaching staff and GM to draft a QB in 2020 if we get the #1 overall pick. The only scenario I see that doesn't is if Rosen does well, but then we'll not have the #1 overall pick unless it is the Texans who are the worst team in the league … and I think the odds are greater that we're the worst team.

If I'm a betting man, I'm all-in on the Dolphins drafting a QB in the 1st round in 2020.

No front office would gamble on waiting two years to draft a QB when they might be in a position to have their choice of QB's in the upcoming draft. There are just too many variables to project that far out.

Wouldn't the biggest variable be Rosen's progression? I mean the guy has been part of the organization for just over four months and we're dead set on drafting his replacement in April? This regime clearly covets draft picks at the moment as they try to reshape the roster, so in a "situational value" scenario the 2nd they traded for Rosen is as valuable as a contender trading a 1st, if not more so.

Most teams would start the young QB in our situation, but this staff wants to better prepare him and fine tune his game while they try to improve the O-line play. They've invested a high draft pick in him, there's not much sense in throwing him into a bad situation and ruining him. Drafting is part of it, development is the other especially at a position like QB where there is so much to learn.

There's a lot of football to be played between now and April before we determine with certainty that we have to grab a QB.

Back
Top Bottom