Indy inquiring about Ricky | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Indy inquiring about Ricky

csabe said:
They do need a good back but they are not going to sell the farm to get one. The amount of compensation for Ricky is just not reality.

A first rounder is not selling the farm, especially the 30th pick where they would be hoping & praying that Maroney would fall to them. Making this trade would solve their problem early & cost less.

PhinGeneral said:
Jeff Saturday, starting Center in the Pro Bowl, would probably argue that with you.
the pro bowl is a popularity contest and with o-linemen especially, he made a name of himself just by being Manning's Center

SMadison29 said:
With Dungy's scheme he doesn't need the most talented players on defense just players that fit his defense. The Colts dline is very good, their secondary fits their defense (Penn St CBs would fit in well here), & they could us a couple good LBs. They need a RB more to keep teams honest. Teams tee off now on Manning in the playoffs so a top notch RB is needed.

Please. Dungy's scheme has never won them a Super Bowl. They are notoriously soft on defense and were again in crunch time this year.

As for teeing off on Manning, Edge was playing against Pittsburgh. It didn't seem to make a difference. Their Offensive line played poorly, and their defense put them in a hole right off the bat.

i honestly feel like we will end getting a late first or early second(top five in the second) for ricky.

Fineas said:
Nobody in their right mind will give up a 1st for Ricky. Putting aside the trade in which we got Ricky and the Herschel Walker trade (both of which were huge overpayments), RBs very rarely go for 1sts. Marshall Faulk was traded for a 2nd at age 25 after gaining 2200+ total yards. Jerome Bettis was traded at 24 2 years removed from a 1400+ yard rookie season. Corey Dillon was traded for a 2nd. Etc.

Ricky is very good, but there are a lot of very good RBs in the league. 21 of the 32 NFL teams have at least 1 back who has gained more than 1200 yards in a season in the last 3 seasons. Several teams have more than 1. A third of the league has someone who has gained more than 1400 yards in the last 2 years. Of the teams that don't make the list, most have a young quality RB and has no pressing need to add a 29-year old Ricky.

Being 1 strike away from out of the league and with a highly questionable committment to football, I don't see anyone trading a 1st for Ricky. If we can get a 2nd for him, do it. For a 3rd, I'd keep him.

Finally! ADMIN EDIT: You just insulted the entire population of this site with one comment. Keep it up, and you may find yourself on the outside looking in. a guy who knows what he's talking about! Ricky is 29, has 2 strikes against him in the drug program and has a questionable commitment to playing in the NFL. Anyone who deosn't add that up and see him as JUST AS BIG A RISK as bringing in T.O. to their team is an idiot.

Some team will have to be DESPERATE to pony up a second round choice for Ricky and INDY may just be that team.

Once a running back reaches 30 he has NO trade value.

This isn't my opinion, it's a FACT!! In the NFL no back over 30 is worth a damn as far as trading is concerned. Was it just a coincidence that Shaun Alexander AND Edgerrin James BOTH couldn't get traded. And Travis Henry from Buffalo, do he make a HUGE impact after that trade? No.

GM's in the NFL not only look at past trades to establish value, they look at past results. The Dolphins giving what amounted to two first round picks for Ricky was a HUGE mistake. A second round pick for FEELEY another huge mistake.

It's a buyer's market out there and every coach knows that there are FAST WILLY PARKERS waiting, undrafted and hungry after every draft. They are out there. Getting Ricky would make sense to a team if they don't have to give up much, but if they're not willing to give up much then it makes more sense to keep him for the next 3 years until he's used up.

No, if someone wants him they're gonna have to overpay and a second round pick and a conditional 4th next year would be it. Personally, I feel that SABAN needs quality players right now. So my trade scenario would be as follows: Each round of the draft represents 32 college players. The first half of the first round represents the creme de la creme, after that it's a crap shoot between pick number 17 and 128. The first four rounds have the top 128 players in college football.

Right now, we're gonna get 4 of these players.

I would trade Ricky away for the right to have SABAN and MUELLER draft 6 of the top 128 players. I would trade Ricky away for a 3rd and 4th rounder, which has the same "value" as a second, but gives GREAT talent evaluators like our coach and GM two extra picks in the crucial top 128.

Under that scnario, we could get a QB, CB, LT, WR, LB and FS all within the top four rounds. No matter what position we filled when, we'd get quality players to fill real needs on this team. Whether MORRIS or KJ or some undrafted rookie steps up to back up Ronnie Brown, it won't matter because we will have addressed a huge concern for our team and that is value.

Would you rather have a GREAT backup or two more young starters? If you answer a great backup, you're entitled to your opinion but you'd never be able to run a team. I believe that with a 3rd and 4th, we'd get REAL value for Ricky and invest in what we ALL believe in, which is Coach Saban's ability to pick starting caliber players.

SIX picks from the top 128. It's sexy isn't it, intriguing...

And, it's the best possible trade scenario for Indy's win now mentality and our draft now mentality. Both teams would get what they need at the moment.

SIX picks from the top 128.

Say it with me now...

Alex22 said:
They have till march 1st or 3rd to resign him though

So it could be a sign and trade

for cap reasons, 'sign and trades' don't work in the nfl, and the colts have already said they'll do whatever it takes (including the franchise tag) to keep wayne.

nick1 said:
the pro bowl is a popularity contest and with o-linemen especially, he made a name of himself just by being Manning's Center

To a certain degree it is a popularity contest, but if you really believe that he got in just because he was Manning's center, you really don't know football. He is widely considered one of the best centers in the NFL.

SMadison29 said:
A first rounder is not selling the farm, especially the 30th pick where they would be hoping & praying that Maroney would fall to them. Making this trade would solve their problem early & cost less.

But it wasn't a trade for a 1st rounder that caused this reaction. It was the original proposal of Edge, a 1st, a 3rd and a conditional pick for Ricky and a 3rd.

If it were just Ricky for a 1st, that's not out of the question.

perezferia said:
Finally! On a board FILLED with idiots a guy who knows what he's talking about! Ricky is 29, has 2 strikes against him in the drug program and has a questionable commitment to playing in the NFL. Anyone who deosn't add that up and see him as JUST AS BIG A RISK as bringing in T.O. to their team is an idiot.

Some team will have to be DESPERATE to pony up a second round choice for Ricky and INDY may just be that team.

Once a running back reaches 30 he has NO trade value.

This isn't my opinion, it's a FACT!! In the NFL no back over 30 is worth a damn as far as trading is concerned. Was it just a coincidence that Shaun Alexander AND Edgerrin James BOTH couldn't get traded. And Travis Henry from Buffalo, do he make a HUGE impact after that trade? No.

GM's in the NFL not only look at past trades to establish value, they look at past results. The Dolphins giving what amounted to two first round picks for Ricky was a HUGE mistake. A second round pick for FEELEY another huge mistake.

It's a buyer's market out there and every coach knows that there are FAST WILLY PARKERS waiting, undrafted and hungry after every draft. They are out there. Getting Ricky would make sense to a team if they don't have to give up much, but if they're not willing to give up much then it makes more sense to keep him for the next 3 years until he's used up.

No, if someone wants him they're gonna have to overpay and a second round pick and a conditional 4th next year would be it. Personally, I feel that SABAN needs quality players right now. So my trade scenario would be as follows: Each round of the draft represents 32 college players. The first half of the first round represents the creme de la creme, after that it's a crap shoot between pick number 17 and 128. The first four rounds have the top 128 players in college football.

Right now, we're gonna get 4 of these players.

I would trade Ricky away for the right to have SABAN and MUELLER draft 6 of the top 128 players. I would trade Ricky away for a 3rd and 4th rounder, which has the same "value" as a second, but gives GREAT talent evaluators like our coach and GM two extra picks in the crucial top 128.

Under that scnario, we could get a QB, CB, LT, WR, LB and FS all within the top four rounds. No matter what position we filled when, we'd get quality players to fill real needs on this team. Whether MORRIS or KJ or some undrafted rookie steps up to back up Ronnie Brown, it won't matter because we will have addressed a huge concern for our team and that is value.

Would you rather have a GREAT backup or two more young starters? If you answer a great backup, you're entitled to your opinion but you'd never be able to run a team. I believe that with a 3rd and 4th, we'd get REAL value for Ricky and invest in what we ALL believe in, which is Coach Saban's ability to pick starting caliber players.

SIX picks from the top 128. It's sexy isn't it, intriguing...

And, it's the best possible trade scenario for Indy's win now mentality and our draft now mentality. Both teams would get what they need at the moment.

SIX picks from the top 128.

Say it with me now...

jeez, where to start with you....first, shut your pie hole, calling people idiots. this is forum for people to discuss opinions, and if someone hopes that some gm is foolish enough to trade a number one for rw, then that's their opinion. enough with the abuse. second, yes, edge and alexander couldn't get a deal done for a second, but the important dynamic in their cases, and in ricky's case, is the contract that would accompany the trade. if you trade for edge or alexander, you're looking at, what, maybe $7m a year (at least), for maybe 4 or five years and a huge, (say it with me) huge signing bonus. if you trade for ricky, you're paying a guy almost the veteran minumum. and he's not edge or alexander, but he showed himself to be still very productive. and his age - he did sit for a year, so that's one less year of abuse on the body. looking at this year's draft, is there a rb in the draft that would be available after the top 4 guys (bush, deangelo williams, white and maroney) that would be a better impact rb than ricky williams? so maybe moving a low first, high second round pick (if you were already a pretty decent team without a lot of holes to fill except at say running back) might make sense.

hey, not that i'm right - you seem to corner the market on perfect knowledge of the nfl, but at least it's something to think about. you do make some valid points regarding the two strikes thing, and the fact that history isn't really working for us, but your good points are lost in your obnoxious delivery. in the meantime, maybe try some herbal tea. and please don't kick the dog or take a swing at the wife/girlfriend - sounds like you may need to lighten up.

To the people that say the Colts wouldn't give up a 1st or at least a conditional first.

THEY ARE LOOKING TO WIN NOW.
And to do that they probably feel that they need Wayne, Harrison, Manning and a good RB.
Ricky is that great running back. With Ricky they cut down on the salary cap by 7 MILLION DOLLARS.
As for the "Ricky is on strike away in the drug department", now he is far from it. Ricky would never do it. He owes us over 8 million dollars and to football players that is not much but to Ricky when he is out of the NFL that debt will haunt him and his family until he dies.
No normal person can pay off that amount of debt, Ricky is here or wherever until that debt is paid off.

Ricky also frees up cap space to sign Wayne and another defensive playmaker which is essentially what it boils down to. Getting Ricky allows them to keep their team in tact whilst not losing any talent.

Please. Dungy's scheme has never won them a Super Bowl. They are notoriously soft on defense and were again in crunch time this year.

Dungy's scheme did win them a Super Bowl, remember vs the Raiders? Dungy may not have been there but it was still his scheme & players.

PhinGeneral said:
But it wasn't a trade for a 1st rounder that caused this reaction. It was the original proposal of Edge, a 1st, a 3rd and a conditional pick for Ricky and a 3rd.

If it were just Ricky for a 1st, that's not out of the question.

I didn't see that first BS proposed trade. No way would that happen, that's insane.

One thing about the Edge and Alexander thing for 2nds or 3rds last year. That was never actually proven. That was a rumor that now people are preaching as gospel.

miami trades ricky williams to (insert team name) for a 1st rounder. Add the condition that if he quits/suspended/etc. then miami will give up a 2nd round next year.

Remember Mueller loves to do Conditional picks.

perezferia said:
Finally! On a board FILLED with idiots a guy who knows what he's talking about! Ricky is 29, has 2 strikes against him in the drug program and has a questionable commitment to playing in the NFL. Anyone who deosn't add that up and see him as JUST AS BIG A RISK as bringing in T.O. to their team is an idiot.

What the heck are you guys doing? Trying to ruin my life, make me look like a friggin' idiot?

Back
Top Bottom