Interesting stat | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting stat

Yeah...but what also wins is pressuring the QB like we did a lot and forcing four Fumbles (two for turnovers)..and taking away one side of the field with 'X'. Lot to fix and stuff, but I'll take the W. Hard to come by in the NFL.

Ya the fumbles were timely plays by good players but you can’t make a living that way. At least not a sustainable one.

You’re right there was some good and some things to work on. The yards surrendered bothers me, but not as much as the 3rd down efficiency. A 69% can’t happen again. Good teams will beat us by 20.

I am over the moon with the win as I’m old enough and seasoned enough to know how hard it is to beat BB when he’s at home with that raucous crowd and multiple weeks to prepare.

I think of those three..Allen is starting to learn not to run as much...he's got the best chance if it's "run less, pocket pass more" you desire.

I disagree based off his performance yesterday 6-7 carries and I expect him to be their leading rusher VS MD this week but hopefully sweaty palms will drop a few on the turf for our D

I expect the back pressure ability of guys like Phillips and Ogbah to play a factor in this game -

Unfortunately, Mac showed a lot of poise and show he is more NFL ready than our QB.
I keep seeing people mentioning the exact word "poise". Is this a running joke because of a commentator statement or something?

I see a rookie that had a pretty good game where he was not asked to take many risks. If I was a pats fan (disgusting thought), I would be pretty happy despite the loss.

Nn ESPN's "Get up!" they are really hyping Mac Jones..oh boy..he was good..best rookie QB this first week of the NFL season..but wow..one game makes not a season or career..we'll see!

(I know it's their job to hype up everything and anything in sports and stuff, but wow..he wasn't throwing dimes all over the field, like hitting guys for big play after big play)...slow your roll. Lol

16 points in the home opener with the first full stadium in over a year. Not exactly screaming elite.

I don't know that Stephenson sees the field next week after that..he had fumbling issues all pre-season too...can run for sure..but gotta hold onto the rock!
Had the Pats scored/FG I thought they would at the time - I fully expected Tua to drive down and lead a score/FG attempt and not dink and dunk to do it

I expected the team with the ball last would need to score in the last minutes to win

Glad we got to string a few first downs together to seal it - that showed poise

All I can say is BIG PROPS to our defense! They were abused on 3rd down. The Patriots enjoyed a 68% completion rate while the Dolphins were slightly below average (40%) at 36%. A -32% differential! Yet, they kept fighting and battling and produced 3 fumbles, which contributed greatly to our win!

As we can see from ChambersWI's post, we could also get to Jones for some sacks. I remember when Flores was first hired on, and someone asked him about sacks. He said that pressure was good, too, and as we saw, our OL had a battle on their hands. Tua was under constant pressure that really did affect our offense. We were out of sorts, had to keep guys in to block, and at times really struggled to move the ball. That led to a time of possession imbalance of approximately -13 minutes.

For a first game, where our guys are still not in game shape, that is huge, IMO. So once again, thank you, thank you, Miami Dolphins defense! You laid it on the line!

Here's a big kiss for you! Go Dolphins! Woot!!

britney spears dolphin GIF

I thought the Patriots plan for the use of Mac Jones was spot on- he executed pretty well what they asked him to do. He got a lot of yards, he took care of the ball. Once the field got compacted it got a little tougher for him, but I think that New England will adjust to that and probably get better.
New England somehow always manages to get adequate players and make them look really good- none of those skill players are top tier guys- maybe that one TE- but they all just look like death by a thousand paper cut type of guys. It drives me nuts.
That win yesterday was a huge win- I know there is lots of room for Miami to improve, but winning on the road on opening day vs Belicheck in New England is no joke. I try to remember that we tore the roster down so bare just two seasons ago, we have so many young players, that we aren't built up quite yet to that level of elite. But I am grateful for the win, and I know Flores will get this team better as the season goes on- because history has shown that is what he does.

To be clear you can say Mac Jones played a very good game cause he did. But gotta look at the defensive game plan. As frustrating as it was to watch the team played to keep everything in front of them especially in the 2nd half (see the 10 yard cushion from the CBs. @Kdawg954 pointed it out in our game chat they basically said the Pats had to be perfect and have long drives.

The one criticism of Flo when he was with the Pats was that they gave up yards. Which is true. They did not however give up a lot of tds.

Would I have loved to see what we did to Goff? Yes. Buy the Pats didn't even challenge the CBS. And also let's give credit ti the D for the turnovers as both were great plays

If the Dolphins had recovered that brain fart backwards pass Mac threw the first time he was under pressure, maybe the narrative would be a little different this morning.
Didn't the refs inexcusably blow the play dead? I mean..I could be wrong..but the whistle was blown. Odd. It was a backward pass..or a fumble.

Didn't the refs inexcusably blow the play dead? I mean..I could be wrong..but the whistle was blown. Odd. It was a backward pass..or a fumble.
I think the announcers did a poor job of explaining it. I believe the Pats recovered the backwards pass and ran the next play from the spot of the recovery.

mac jones also missed more open receivers than tua did too.. trent green pointed out the throws that jones missed too
No he didn't. Below was stolen from chevss on patriotsplanet:

He only had 10 incompletions...
Patriots QB Mac Jones: 29/39, 281 yards, TD, 102.6 rating

From PFF
PlayerRoutes RunTargetReceptionYards
Jakobi Meyers429644
Nelson Agholor427671
Kendrick Bourne274361
Hunter Henry263331
Jonnu Smith205542

Jones got the ball out quickly with an average time to throw of 2.37, fifth-fastest among quarterbacks in Week 1 pending the Sunday and Monday night games.

Mac Jones passing by depth​

Target DepthCompletionsAttemptsYardsTouchdowns
9 yards or less22261541
10-19 downfield46760
20+ downfield34790

By contrast:

Tua Tagovailoa passing by depth​

Target DepthCompletionsAttemptsYardsTouchdowns
9 yards or less13141131
10-19 downfield19230
20+ downfield24660

Note: Tua only had 3 passes completed beyond 10 yds.

and the other rookies
Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence: 28/51, 332 yards, three TDs, three INTs, 70.1 rating
Jets QB Zach Wilson: 20/37, 258 yards, two TDs, INT, 82.9 rating

Last edited:
Yes, the blew the whistle and call it an incomplete pass

Back
Top Bottom