Intro to Robert Hunt OG: RD 2 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intro to Robert Hunt OG: RD 2

Philosophies my friend. Drafting is only about one thing ever.....it's layers of opportunities and data, risk/reward. Everyone sees it different and that's what makes it fun. You can't say waiting until 56 would almost guarantee he would be gone just as i can't say he would have absolutely been there. There are no certainties. He was the 2nd interior guy off the board. Damien Lewis was the 3rd @ pick 69. And for the record i've said numerous times, i really like Hunt.

I look for value positions (QB, OT, Rush, CB) difficult or expensive in FA, and value in the draft with slots (guys who fall, how deep is that position, etc). But i'm also about elite talent and BPA when the talent gap between BPA and need is just too great to pass and always open for jumping up for elite talent when warranted. Nobody is right/wrong......and only the results on the field matter. If SD tried to trade for Tua and Miami moved up to get their guy, that's fine.....some would say not good value with all the risk but worth it at that position. If Miami moved back up for Wirfs....love it. If Miami lets Lamb fall in their lap and take him over a tackle, absolutely.....that's value. It's not just about waiting as long as you can for the guys you want. Austin Jackson was probably slotted 5-10 picks later but his update, position value and need were too much for them to pass.

We failed on the OL for so long bc we whiffed on identifying talent.....nothing more.

I guess where your analysis of thr Hunt pick is different than what the Dolphins are thinking is, you only see him as an interior guy. Yes he could plug and play as a great guard. But the Dolphins see him as a RT and can protect Tua's blindside. It's possible and likely he was the only guy left on the board they were comfortable with at that position. That makes him a steal at that selection. Waiting til 56 then becomes way too risky. He seems like a guy that is coachable. And he has all the tools to be coached up as great RT. Worse case scenario, you still have a pro bowl caliber RG. And I think he will actually become the starting RT for years to come as his run blocking will allow him to grow into a solid pass protector as he develops. He isn't exactly horrible at pass pro now. So, upside is where the value is with that pick. Best interior OL pick Miami has made since Pouncey. Of course that isn't saying much with the garbage in the past.

I guess where your analysis of thr Hunt pick is different than what the Dolphins are thinking is, you only see him as an interior guy. Yes he could plug and play as a great guard. But the Dolphins see him as a RT and can protect Tua's blindside. It's possible and likely he was the only guy left on the board they were comfortable with at that position. That makes him a steal at that selection. Waiting til 56 then becomes way too risky. He seems like a guy that is coachable. And he has all the tools to be coached up as great RT. Worse case scenario, you still have a pro bowl caliber RG. And I think he will actually become the starting RT for years to come as his run blocking will allow him to grow into a solid pass protector as he develops. He isn't exactly horrible at pass pro now. So, upside is where the value is with that pick. Best interior OL pick Miami has made since Pouncey. Of course that isn't saying much with the garbage in the past.

Just guessing. They missed on Ruiz in R1 and lost some appetite for risk. They wanted Hunt and weren't certain he'd last til the next pick

Worrying about the slot a player was chosen in doesn't make sense.

1. There is no definitive board that all teams use. They create their own board and it is often different from other teams and dramatically different from the ones pundits make.

2. No one in history is close to even a 50% success rate in gauging the success of draft picks.

3. Each team has a different process when making a pick. Some have a collaborative approach, some don't. Some picks are made because a position coach is pounding the table for the guy. Some picks are based on need or bpa or if there's a run on the position leading up to your pick....

4. Teams are actively misleading each other on which player is going to be picked. Imagine playing poker, but it is only one hand, it is against 31 of the other best players in the world, you're not in the same room so you cannot see any tells and everyone has had a year to prep.

Point
Worrying about the slot a player was chosen in doesn't make sense.

1. There is no definitive board that all teams use. They create their own board and it is often different from other teams and dramatically different from the ones pundits make.

2. No one in history is close to even a 50% success rate in gauging the success of draft picks.

3. Each team has a different process when making a pick. Some have a collaborative approach, some don't. Some picks are made because a position coach is pounding the table for the guy. Some picks are based on need or bpa or if there's a run on the position leading up to your pick....

4. Teams are actively misleading each other on which player is going to be picked. Imagine playing poker, but it is only one hand, it is against 31 of the other best players in the world, you're not in the same room so you cannot see any tells and everyone has had a year to prep.

Point #2 is intriguing, is there a percentage? An antilytic that tells you this? I would say the most successful teams have a higher clip obviously, Say the Pittsburgh’s, Baltimores, Green Bay’s come to mind. Obviously we would have a low number. Did that change with this draft? Not so sure though with our talent level being so low I can see more guys contributing than ever.

Point

Point #2 is intriguing, is there a percentage? An antilytic that tells you this? I would say the most successful teams have a higher clip obviously, Say the Pittsburgh’s, Baltimores, Green Bay’s come to mind. Obviously we would have a low number. Did that change with this draft? Not so sure though with our talent level being so low I can see more guys contributing than ever.
I mean just go look at their drafts. Do 50% or more of any teams picks in rounds 1-3 become great? Or hell, just look at each draft regardless of team, is their a 50% or better success rate with all the players taken in those drafts in rounds 1-3?

I like Hunt but did not like him at 39. If the next like player was not chosen until 66 than that is a pretty good indication that Hunt is there at 56. If not why not trade up from 56? To me the difference between say Jonathon Taylor and Matt Brieda is enormous. The difference between Hunt and another like player like Lewis? Slim to none.
That is my pet peeve with this draft. We could have done so much more without trade up. Factor in some well timed trade ups and this draft could have been an all timer. But we didn’t and it won’.

I like Hunt but did not like him at 39. If the next like player was not chosen until 66 than that is a pretty good indication that Hunt is there at 56. If not why not trade up from 56? To me the difference between say Jonathon Taylor and Matt Brieda is enormous. The difference between Hunt and another like player like Lewis? Slim to none.
That is my pet peeve with this draft. We could have done so much more without trade up. Factor in some well timed trade ups and this draft could have been an all timer. But we didn’t and it won’.
I disagree with the bold. WADR, that's a thing you just kind of invented and isn't actually applicable to any draft.

I mean just go look at their drafts. Do 50% or more of any teams picks in rounds 1-3 become great? Or hell, just look at each draft regardless of team, is their a 50% or better success rate with all the players taken in those drafts in rounds 1-3?

That is the unknown. Great question, what are the parameters? Make a roster? Starters? All Pro potential? When does development play a role? Doesn’t do much good to watch a Fitzpatrick become an All Pro with another team.
Our player development has been piss poor. Drake, Fitzpatrick, Tannehill, all looked better after they left here.
Great franchises are just the opposite. You want guys from NE and Pittsburgh but as soon as they leave those environments they suck.

I disagree with the bold. WADR, that's a thing you just kind of invented and isn't actually applicable to any draft.

How is that not a good indicatior? What is better? I would like to see it. So would you rather have Taylor and Lewis/Hunt or Brieda and Hunt because that is what we could have had and what we got. I take Taylor and either lineman ALL day long. But that is me and probably why this organization is what they are.
Hell I even gave you a trade up option with 56! None of this is made up! This GM just does not use the tools that he painstakingly acquired. Makes no sense. ”kind of invented” hardly, this GM did a lot of good since last yr but drafting isn’t his thing.

Last edited:

Some here seem to have black and white. All-Pro or bust. And has to be year 1. Saw an article a few years ago. a majoority of R1 players aren't starters 4 years later. Don't know if that was legit or fabricated

That is the unknown. Great question, what are the parameters? Make a roster? Starters? All Pro potential? When does development play a role? Doesn’t do much good to watch a Fitzpatrick become an All Pro with another team.
Our player development has been piss poor. Drake, Fitzpatrick, Tannehill, all looked better after they left here.
Great franchises are just the opposite. You want guys from NE and Pittsburgh but as soon as they leave those environments they suck.
Yes, exactly.

Each team has a different set of circumstances from need to player development to meshing with current roster/staff. That's my point, Hunt in Cincinnati may suck, while Hunt in Miami may turn out to be all pro...that's why worrying about slotting is pointless.

You may dislike Player X (which is fair and fine as long as it is backed up with tape/stats), but unless it was a player taken 2-3 rounds sooner than where they likely would have gone, then worrying about slotting is just tilting at windmills.

Back
Top Bottom