Intro to Robert Hunt OG: RD 2 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intro to Robert Hunt OG: RD 2

Look at those man boobs soft and squishy

Hunt has the highest floor and highest ceiling of any OL on our roster. If you don't love this pick, you won't appreciate the punishment this kid will be dishing out on our OL for years to come. This kid just added NASTY to our OL.

And this is where Grier can really flex his muscles with 15 picks.... he can double and triple down on positions of need to give us plenty of opportunities to build a young nucleus of talent.

This draft will go down as a franchise changing draft for the next decade.

When Tua looks around the huddle with 5 towering giants looking for a street brawl, this team is gonna get some major swagger from dishing out punishment.

We need more OL. If you can't get excited with the opportunity of 15 picks ... you don't have a pulse.

Not possible Miami totally overplayed and reached its final some dude on a message board said so!!!!! :lmfao:

I've looked around a lot to see where everyone had Hunt slotted before the draft and the earliest i can find is Jeremiah as a potential 49 slot for Pittsburgh (1 of 5 guys he mentioned that fit their scheme). Zeirlein said he had 1st round potential but even he listed him as a 2nd round pick in his profile. Most i could find on posted mocks, write-ups and twitter said R2/R3. So it's not just one or two dudes on a message board a little surprised to see him come off the board 7 picks into R2 when guys slotted in R1 were still on the board.

And once again, nobody is disliking the player......i haven't seen any of that......just the slot. It's like taking Swift at 18 when you could have had him in the 30's. There was no value at 18 even for the back most people had as #1 at his position.

Watched some Hunt game film. Louisiana had him pull a lot. Really good at getting to 2nd level. Seems solid except his kick step is more of a hobble. I think he has potential at RG.

Asked to asses his game and traits that will help him excel at the NFL level Hunt said “I think I play the game very hard. I play like it’s my last time playing. As long as I keep that mentality, keep working on myself and getting better, and trying to help the team; everything will work out well.”

Gotta love the answer!

I've looked around a lot to see where everyone had Hunt slotted before the draft and the earliest i can find is Jeremiah as a potential 49 slot for Pittsburgh (1 of 5 guys he mentioned that fit their scheme). Zeirlein said he had 1st round potential but even he listed him as a 2nd round pick in his profile. Most i could find on posted mocks, write-ups and twitter said R2/R3. So it's not just one or two dudes on a message board a little surprised to see him come off the board 7 picks into R2 when guys slotted in R1 were still on the board.

And once again, nobody is disliking the player......i haven't seen any of that......just the slot. It's like taking Swift at 18 when you could have had him in the 30's. There was no value at 18 even for the back most people had as #1 at his position.

Drafting isn't only about getting "value". And early in the draft its almost impossible to get "value" unless you don't have a plan. Most experts has Hunt as a top 3 or 4 interior lineman at least. He was what the 2nd or 3rd picked? Waiting til 56 almost guaranteed he would have been gone. True "value" is getting a guy you know can start for you for a decade. Hunt is that guy. Worst case scenario, he starts as ove of the best guards in the NFL. That's his floor. His ceiling is as a great RT mauler in the run game and solid pass protector for Tuas blind side. And don't underestimate the impact his strength will have in the pass game. My guess is Flores plans on being balanced. And if you are a pass rushing DE you will get worn out with this 330 pound behemoth leaning on you in the run game all day. That will slow that pass rush down quite a bit. This guy was definitely worth that pick. That "value" thinking is why our OL has been horrible the last 20 years.

Little concerned he didn't get to compete against a lot of high end talent. But I love that he mauled people at Right Tackle. A position that means a whole lot more to us now.

"According to ESPN, Hunt did not have a blown block on any of 216 rushes over the last two seasons."

“But at right tackle? You want to see someone unload on defenders at the line scrimmage. ... He's got some nimble feet when he gets out (in space). I thought this is somebody that's gonna be a plug-and-play guard. But the Miami Dolphins might give him a shot to start outside before kicking him inside.” -DJ

Drafting isn't only about getting "value". And early in the draft its almost impossible to get "value" unless you don't have a plan. Most experts has Hunt as a top 3 or 4 interior lineman at least. He was what the 2nd or 3rd picked? Waiting til 56 almost guaranteed he would have been gone. True "value" is getting a guy you know can start for you for a decade. Hunt is that guy. Worst case scenario, he starts as ove of the best guards in the NFL. That's his floor. His ceiling is as a great RT mauler in the run game and solid pass protector for Tuas blind side. And don't underestimate the impact his strength will have in the pass game. My guess is Flores plans on being balanced. And if you are a pass rushing DE you will get worn out with this 330 pound behemoth leaning on you in the run game all day. That will slow that pass rush down quite a bit. This guy was definitely worth that pick. That "value" thinking is why our OL has been horrible the last 20 years.

Philosophies my friend. Drafting is only about one thing ever.....it's layers of opportunities and data, risk/reward. Everyone sees it different and that's what makes it fun. You can't say waiting until 56 would almost guarantee he would be gone just as i can't say he would have absolutely been there. There are no certainties. He was the 2nd interior guy off the board. Damien Lewis was the 3rd @ pick 69. And for the record i've said numerous times, i really like Hunt.

I look for value positions (QB, OT, Rush, CB) difficult or expensive in FA, and value in the draft with slots (guys who fall, how deep is that position, etc). But i'm also about elite talent and BPA when the talent gap between BPA and need is just too great to pass and always open for jumping up for elite talent when warranted. Nobody is right/wrong......and only the results on the field matter. If SD tried to trade for Tua and Miami moved up to get their guy, that's fine.....some would say not good value with all the risk but worth it at that position. If Miami moved back up for Wirfs....love it. If Miami lets Lamb fall in their lap and take him over a tackle, absolutely.....that's value. It's not just about waiting as long as you can for the guys you want. Austin Jackson was probably slotted 5-10 picks later but his update, position value and need were too much for them to pass.

We failed on the OL for so long bc we whiffed on identifying talent.....nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom