Is our OL good at pass protection as we think we are? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is our OL good at pass protection as we think we are?

We've given up 10 sacks (11th in the league). At this point last season we were at 18 and finished 32nd.

I don't know exactly how good we actually are. But we are much improved.
But again... How much of this is a product of Fitz reading the defense quickly and getting rid of the ball quicker than other QBs might be able to pull off based on his 16 years in the league.

But again... How much of this is a product of Fitz reading the defense quickly and getting rid of the ball quicker than other QBs might be able to pull off based on his 16 years in the league.
Yeah.. I know he was our QB last year as well..

Fitz was the QB last year and every 3rd down and 5 wide play I didnt even want to watch cause I knew it was going to be a sack. This year im amazed how much time he has to throw. Even watching KC their line is a mess and Mahomes is running for his life and having to make a ton of plays with his feet and noone gets the ball out faster than him since Marino. So im very happy with the line this year.

Fitz was our QB last year. We are averaging over a full sack less than in the games he started last season.

Fitz does still have an extremely fast Time to Throw at 2.4 seconds. Last season he was already 2nd to last at 2.5.

I understand your concern. But Fitz was playing the same as he did last year. It's the Oline that has changed. And he's gone from being one of the most frequently sacked QB's to one of the least.

Hopefully this continues for Tua.

Last edited:
Tua has one of the quickest releases out there. It Fitz can get it out quick enough, Tua certainly can.

Yeah! But Tua never played a full NFL game.
You're setting a really high expectation for the guy going into his first full NFL game..

I’m so tired of this narrative. OL play league wide is pretty bad. Tua will get hit and get hit often regardless of the quality of the OL. It’s football. If he can’t take it we draft another QB next year.

The concern here is our OL pass blocking more a reflection of how fast Fitz got rid of the ball than the Big Uglies doing a better job up front so far this year? Apparently, a statistic is out there about how little time Fitz has had to throw the ball compared to other OL line play from other teams and that we rank somewhere at the bottom with respect to giving our QB time to throw. With Aaron Donald coming in, this could be a really dangerous situation for Tua to make his first start in. I saw Aaron Donald Rag-doll a big Josh Allen a couple of weeks ago. He could end up throwing our little QB into the stands five rows deep! We also will have two rookie linemen protecting his blindside.

I know we have a favorable schedule coming up in November and we can give the team and Tua two weeks to get ready for his first start. I just hope Aaron Donald doesn't kill him beforehand!
But I do understand that we really do need to see what we have here in Tua. And I know the future has to come sooner than later if the team wants to make a serious run as a playoff team next year. But Damn! Aaron Donald is like the Prince of Darkness in this league!! I keep having this recurring thought from Rocky III about Aaron Donald when asked about a prediction for Tua' first start: "Prediction: Pain"
LOL
i think the stat was regarding fitz and him getting the ball out at a certain rate which is a huge difference. Him getting the ball out quickly doesnt necessarily correlate to failed protection. Hes a one read guy and the ball might just come out fast protection not withstanding. Saying his time to throw is x and therefore it must be due to the protection is a univarite analysis and thats an extremely flawed way to look at it

Up until the Jets game this past weekend the line held its own. The Jets threw the kitchen sink at Miami and they were decent. They gave up pressure the entire game. But somehow managed via the short passing attack. Hopefully this game will act as a learning experience for the young kids. Because, now others have something on tape that was somewhat effective at stopping Miami's intermediate passing attack. Gase made mention of this in his post game comments. He apparently took pride in holding back Parker, Williams and Gesicki.

Let's hope the coaching staff can now help prepare and teach these kids how to counter this type off defensive pressure.

You can bet we're going to play it a tad conservative and protect Tua

and allow him to ramp up in live game speed + do everything possible

to avoid disastrous down + distance. But no matter what the kid is

going to face some heat and take some shots. Odds are he'll be as OK

as before the hip -- which is stressed with vertical vs. horizontal impact.

Kid looks "solid" with good muscular development in lower body/glutes

and (bonus prize) we're going to unleash new dimensions to the O

including some focus on players who haven't been in the mix.

Bottom line ------ the staff is prepared and Tua will be prepared.

Just execute one play at a time and stay focused. No need for

hero ball. Be efficient and play solid football. The outcome will

take care of itself...

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

Up until the Jets game this past weekend the line held its own. The Jets threw the kitchen sink at Miami and they were decent. They gave up pressure the entire game. But somehow managed via the short passing attack. Hopefully this game will act as a learning experience for the young kids. Because, now others have something on tape that was somewhat effective at stopping Miami's intermediate passing attack. Gase made mention of this in his post game comments. He apparently took pride in holding back Parker, Williams and Gesicki.

Let's hope the coaching staff can now help prepare and teach these kids how to counter this type off defensive pressure.
True but we missed a ton of opportunities. Score should have been a LOT worse.

But you can bet the house D coordinators are going to throw a LOT at the kid

including manic blitz just to ruff him up some (playing the intimidation card).

He's going to have to take some shots and make 'em pay. That's already in

bank drawing interest IMO.

Back
Top Bottom