Is our OL good at pass protection as we think we are? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is our OL good at pass protection as we think we are?

But you have to remember the Dolphins D-line destroyed the Niners O-line but that same Niners O-line held Aaron Donald in check. So hopefully the Dolphins can find a way to do the same. They need to come up with a good scheme against Aaron Donald.
what they did is run the ball, short pases and a lot of passes to the TE

But again... How much of this is a product of Fitz reading the defense quickly and getting rid of the ball quicker than other QBs might be able to pull off based on his 16 years in the league.
Fitz was our QB last year

My take: Fitz made us look a bit better than we are because of his big body and his willingness to run... that said... Tua is actually more mobile than Fitz, and this should operate in much the same manner.

The obvious downside of this is that is when Tua has been injured in the past, by using his mobility to extend plays that probably shouldn't have been extended. I hope they've worked on that.

All good points and a cogent argument @boomer10 . Guess it remains to be seen how well we do at protecting our franchise rookie. Regardless, it is very evident that our current OL is better than anything we had protecting Ryan Tannehill, and clearly the best OL we've had since Jake Long was here. So even if it is not all quite as great as we think .... it's still light years ahead of where we've been recently. IMHO, it's as much as we could have hoped to have after last season.

I have been quite impressed with many of our OL, but even more impressed by our new OL Coach, who seems to be getting the most out of all of these players. If we found an OL coach ... hallelujah!!!!!! :cheers: :ffic: :victory

But you have to remember the Dolphins D-line destroyed the Niners O-line but that same Niners O-line held Aaron Donald in check. So hopefully the Dolphins can find a way to do the same. They need to come up with a good scheme against Aaron Donald.
True but no Bosa and the other starting bookend was also out

You can't worry about that because Tua will have to face great D-linemen throughout his career. There is no avoiding it. He just has to play and not worry about it. You can't hide him forever.
We will kno soon enough if Tua can sense the blitz and kno instinctively which players are running free and get the ball out - I think we are going to see a lot of short throws go for solid gains

Real simple. Double Donald with a TE, G or RB on every play. Tell the rest of the line they gotta man up. Run away from him. Run some screens and draws to slow him down

what they did is run the ball, short pases and a lot of passes to the TE
I didn't watch the game. I was walking my dog downtown. So they ran a cheatriots style offense? A bunch of pick... I mean rubs? 85% of the passing yards were YAC?

Real simple. Double Donald with a TE, G or RB on every play. Tell the rest of the line they gotta man up. Run away from him. Run some screens and draws to slow him down
How do you double Donald with a TE? You run the TE underneath to try and pick him off after beating an IOL?

The right side of the oline was pretty suspect in this last game.

shift to heavy rpo based o with tua and help the oline and help the qb avoid contact.

easily the worst game I’ve seen from kindley to date. Hunt on his toes in pass pro at times getting run over.

be great to get Jackson back and kick davis back over to right side. That’s what I’d do

Last edited:
Not to mention aaron Donald. You better get the ball out of hand.

rpo forces it

or you could run a similar attack to what the 9ers showed vs the Rams Sunday night. Short concepts outside of play action or when they got cover 0 and beat em with quick hitters and ball placement.
I’m not running that fitz pocket drop asks vs the Rams. Don’t care what the score is.

If you watch the play that lead to a sack by Tarell Basham (#93), you see the weakest area of our OL right now. Our right side features two rookies who are going to take the bait and get fooled by disguised blitzes from time to time.

If you watch the play that lead to a sack by Tarell Basham (#93), you see the weakest area of our OL right now. Our right side features two rookies who are going to take the bait and get fooled by disguised blitzes from time to time.

yeah but that’s an overload. It’s as much on the qb as kindley in terms of not recognizing it post snap and throwing to his dump. They had 3 rushers vs 2 in protection on that side. The right tackle was gonna be in a bind regardless of kindley not passing off and picking up Basham.

but yeah you don’t want tua having to account for that this early in his pro career. That needs to come with development

so again go heavy rpo make him have easy reads and build off of it as he develops. Force the defense to have to play assignment contain before they rush up field and gash em when they do

Back
Top Bottom