It's Time We Drafted A 1st Round Qb | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's Time We Drafted A 1st Round Qb

IMHO, it's too early to make that kind of decision. But, the latest developments do firmly put that on the table. We will never be great with the Brock Osweiler's of the world.

One of my favorite coach quotes was Herm Edwards, when he coached the Jets saying … "You PLAY to WIN the GAME!!!" And as Bill Parcells used to always say … "The most important ability is availability." If Tannehill's health issues linger, we need to find a QB, otherwise we're not going to win the games needed.

I am so pessimistic that it would not surprise me if they repeated the same drafting mistake that was made with Tannehill. Tannehill was overdrafted and was a GM's last hurrah at keeping his job. What I don't want to see is Miami drafting a QB who spent the majority of his college time playing wide receiver.

I don't think it's time at all. Can't draft anybody in November.

I am so pessimistic that it would not surprise me if they repeated the same drafting mistake that was made with Tannehill. Tannehill was overdrafted and was a GM's last hurrah at keeping his job. What I don't want to see is Miami drafting a QB who spent the majority of his college time playing wide receiver.
Are there any other QBs that were good enough (and willing) to play WR in division one college football while waiting their turn to start at QB other than Ryan Tannehill?

Tannehill was already behind the development curve because he had only played QB for a short time, relatively speaking.Unless the QB is some phenom like Tua, then I want an experienced player and one who has been consistely good. I don't want someone is is already starting out being 2 or 3 years behind the competition.

Trade up in 2019? No. We should completely trade out of the first round in 2019 and acquire a second first round pick for 2020. Trade back in second round too. All these trades sound easy but usually not because you need someone willing to trade up. Do it though if you can. Stockpile picks for 2020.

“Lose plenty for twenty twenty”.

get a qb in the first round in 2019 and if he has a Tanny like first year draft another one in 2o2o.
key: hire outside help to draft dont let the FO make the picks. they might draft a punter who wants to quarterback. draft qb, qb and qb.

Of course we could fire the FO, but we dont want people to feel bad and miss any meals. Better yet, make Tanny GM so he can continue to live in the style hes become accustomed to, give him a big office but route his phone calls to the basement. Have the maintenance guy pretend hes Belicheck

Last edited:
Perhaps you would be surprised at how often billionaires use outside sources such as consultants for every little thing. Its not about who the scouting staff and GM trust. I envision that it would be Ross who would touch base with an expert/consultant and put him in contact with Mike Tannenbaum.

Yep, that’s a great way to send a vote of confidence to your FO.
If Ross even considers that idea, then he needs to clean house with the FO

get a qb in the first round in 2019 and if he has a Tanny like first year draft another one in 2o2o.
key: hire outside help to draft dont let the FO make the picks. they might draft a punter who wants to quarterback. draft qb, qb and qb.

Of course we could fire the FO, but we dont want people to feel bad and miss any meals. Better yet, make Tanny GM so he can continue to live in the style hes become accustomed to, give him a big office but route his phone calls to the basement. Have the maintenance guy pretend hes Belicheck

Jeff Ireland was the GM when Tannehill was drafted.

Chris Grier is the GM now.

1) What about that don't you understand.

2) What is the basis for your assertion that Grier would not be able to pick a QB.

Me too, but the DTs look great, Quinnen Williams pass rush looks day 1 impactful, Ed Oliver is an elite athlete, if that Dallas or Chicago pick is a top ten pick don't be surprised if they draft a Qb no. 1 and pass rusher later.

I currently have it Williams > Oliver > Bosa

I currently have it Williams > Oliver > Bosa

I'm not surprised u do, Thoughts on Williams rip, swim and club moves ? I'm hearing Oliver is plus 37 vert which is unheard of at dt, if he posts sub 7 in the 3 cone he may go number 1.

And whose assessment should the FO trust when determining just who is a 1st rd talent? They have an entire scouting staff, so Im not sure which "consultant" the scouting staff and GM would trust over their own evaluations.

Well, why not our very own Awsi Dooger? After all, he's got that spreadsheet where you just rub it and out pops all of answers to any of your questions.

I'm not surprised u do, Thoughts on Williams rip, swim and club moves ? I'm hearing Oliver is plus 37 vert which is unheard of at dt, if he posts sub 7 in the 3 cone he may go number 1.

Yeah, up until the LSU game, I had been holding Oliver in the top spot, but Williams uses his hands so well. The timing and force of his moves is as good as I've seen. I think both are special and the best DT prospects since Aaron Donald and in the top-5 DT prospects of the decade.

Back
Top Bottom