J-Off's 2020 Sideways Board | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-Off's 2020 Sideways Board

I agree that Love suffered from a lack of support but if his talent is such that he warrants being a high pick he should have been better.

I think Love is getting too much credit for resembling Mahomes.

I like the kid as a prospect but he is not Mahomes.

That chart is certainly not a fan of Fromm.

He had a ton of talent around him, practically an NFL OL, big time RB's and inexperienced but talented WR's.

His slippage really surprised me.

Like any list this in-depth there will always be a slight difference in opinion, but nothing that makes me go "WOW REALLY?"

Nice work

Great job like always. My one surprise here is that two guards are not on your list like not even top 100 and those two guards are Kindley from Georgia and Lemieux from Oregon. Do you just don't see either of them being any good in the NFL?

Great job but agree with Danny where are Kindley and Lemieux ?

Great job and a fun read.

I know you rank these guys in this manner so it’s consistent year to year. Would it be fair to say that it’s also the range where you would be happy if the Fins drafted a player there? For example, if someone has a top 40 grade, you would be happy if the Fins selected any of those players at 39.

Just curious. Thanks.

Great job and a fun read.

I know you rank these guys in this manner so it’s consistent year to year. Would it be fair to say that it’s also the range where you would be happy if the Fins drafted a player there? For example, if someone has a top 40 grade, you would be happy if the Fins selected any of those players at 39.

Just curious. Thanks.

Thank you! Yeah, that's the main point of organizing it this way - to see who you would take where. Obviously, if a Top 20 guys is there at 39, I'm going to take him over a Top 40 guy, but the tiers indicate where I'd be happy to take a player, so Top 40 at 39 is good.

There are lots of little things to improve but lots of big things to like imo. When his mechanics are good, he's very accurate. In general, he throws better downfield and on the run. On shorter throws, he'll often forget his lower half, which leads to some rough misses. He threw the ball 11+ yards at a higher rate than any QB in the class. On throws 11-19 yards he had the 2nd-best on-target % and the best completion percentage, and he also had the 2nd-best on-target % on throws 20+ yards.

Dak is the comp you often see/hear, and there are some clear similarities. In play style, though, he plays a lot like a young Russell Wilson. He wants to extend the play with his legs and push the ball downfield. His athleticism is also more similar to Russell Wilson. People say that Wilson only fell because of his height, but if you remember correctly, even as he was playing really well in Seattle, many people rightly pointed out that he bypassed relatively easy shorter throws run around and make plays downfield or with his legs. Wilson has done a good job of balancing that, and Hurts will need to, as well. I'm not saying Hurts will be Russell Wilson. If I was convinced of that, I'd have him in the Top 10.

Coming out of HS, Hurts was the #1 Dual Threat QB in the country, and he completed 63% of his passes as a True Freshman in the SEC. Despite throwing 11+ yards more than anyone else in 2019, he completed 70% of his passes. His natural touch/accuracy is what you want. Despite sabotaging himself at times with bad mechanics, he still hit his receivers at a really high rate. Contrast this with Josh Rosen, who had great mechanics but still struggled with accuracy. When you factor in his physical tools and character, I think Hurts has a very real chance to hit - especially in a good situation. Given the importance of QB, I think he warrants early consideration. Most QB's fail. You don't draft one fearing failure. You draft one because he has a chance to make it - the chance of hitting and ceiling determine how high you're willing to draft a given QB.

I do struggle with keeping Herbert ahead of him, and I'm not sure that's how I'll have it by Draft time.

Hurts is very interesting. We've talked about him before and I agree there may not be a big gap between him and Herbert. I might put Hurts ahead of Love, although I fully understand he hasn't had the coaching that some of these other quarterbacks have had.

The question I would consider if I had to make the quarterback call, and Tua/Burrow are gone, is where would you get more value?

Herbert at #5 or Simmons at #5 and Hurts maybe at #18?

Hurts is very interesting. We've talked about him before and I agree there may not be a big gap between him and Herbert. I might put Hurts ahead of Love, although I fully understand he hasn't had the coaching that some of these other quarterbacks have had.

The question I would consider if I had to make the quarterback call, and Tua/Burrow are gone, is where would you get more value?

Herbert at #5 or Simmons at #5 and Hurts maybe at #18?

I'd hope I could trade down. If not, I'd go Wills or Simmons. Hurts could still be there at 26. Hard to gauge. But, I'd definitely prefer scenario 2 to scenario 1.

I'd hope I could trade down. If not, I'd go Wills or Simmons. Hurts could still be there at 26. Hard to gauge. But, I'd definitely prefer scenario 2 to scenario 1.
I would be worried about New England in regards to Hurts. The Patriots could snag him at 23.

I do like Herbert. He's another one who hasn't necessarily had the coaching or a system that fits his skills. I just think there are better players that will be there at #5.

I guess the biggest question I would have is which quarterback is more likely to improve on their weaknesses.

I can't get behind the Hurts love.

Best case he is a better running, worse throwing Tyrod Taylor.

I was very surprised at how much Hurts has improved from his time at Alabama. He's a very under rated QB. No question, he needed to improve on his QB skills, because his Athletic skills were far more superior. Something changed with regards to his QB skills catching up to the athlete. He's a leader and a great kid. I believe his best QBing days are in front of him. The question now becomes, if Miami drafts him, can they develop him. I'm not sure about that, at the moment. The outgoing coaching staff were known to be developers, whereas, I'm not sure what Gailey brings in terms of developmental skills.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom