J-Off's Board V1 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

J-Off's Board V1

Thanks Slimm! I haven't. Beautiful frame, probably the most impressive frame of the entire TE group. I should have listed him in my players I need more info on - watching him, in this case. Good vert, too, for someone that size. Where are you projecting him?

Well he's been near the top of my TE rankings for years. I believe he's easily a 3rd round talent in this draft, but might last longer due to some off field issues he's dealt with combined with the nearly tragic leg injury he suffered a couple years ago. He's the prototype in terms of what you look for in terms of triangle numbers and athleticism at the TE position. Posted the most bench reps of any TE at the combine, which is an indication of hard work and dedication in the weight room at minimum.

His tape throughout his career is excellent. Had he not suffered the leg injury against Utah in 2014 and forced to miss all of the 2015 season trying to come back from such a devastating leg injury, he would've came out early and been a 1st or 2nd round pick after his junior year.

Pharaoh Brown is without a doubt one of the most talented TE's I've seen in years. Talent isn't a concern. It just comes down to how teams feel individually about the other aspects of his life. I just don't think you have to get very deep in this draft before a talent like him is worth spending a draft pick on. The mere fact that he was even able to resume his career last year is an incredible testament to him in my estimation. Especially with a kid like Jake Butt also coming off a leg injury.

Brown is a more talented player than Butt, while Butt doesn't carry the off field concerns. Brown is very nearly an O.J. Howard type talent. Just can't be as comfortable with him as a person as you can be with Howard.

Physically is Brown back to being the tight end prospect he was prior to the injuries?

Corey Davis and Dalvin Cook are guaranteed top 2 round picks...prolly mid first rounders actually. So to not have them on your board as a Gm wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if you like winning football games

Well he's been near the top of my TE rankings for years. I believe he's easily a 3rd round talent in this draft, but might last longer due to some off field issues he's dealt with combined with the nearly tragic leg injury he suffered a couple years ago. He's the prototype in terms of what you look for in terms of triangle numbers and athleticism at the TE position. Posted the most bench reps of any TE at the combine, which is an indication of hard work and dedication in the weight room at minimum.

His tape throughout his career is excellent. Had he not suffered the leg injury against Utah in 2014 and forced to miss all of the 2015 season trying to come back from such a devastating leg injury, he would've came out early and been a 1st or 2nd round pick after his junior year.

Pharaoh Brown is without a doubt one of the most talented TE's I've seen in years. Talent isn't a concern. It just comes down to how teams feel individually about the other aspects of his life. I just don't think you have to get very deep in this draft before a talent like him is worth spending a draft pick on. The mere fact that he was even able to resume his career last year is an incredible testament to him in my estimation. Especially with a kid like Jake Butt also coming off a leg injury.

Brown is a more talented player than Butt, while Butt doesn't carry the off field concerns. Brown is very nearly an O.J. Howard type talent. Just can't be as comfortable with him as a person as you can be with Howard.

I didn't get to digging like I had hoped (GF wanted to finish Season 1 of Master of None - really good!), but you weren't lying! He's just so huge, and he moves easy. Reminds me a little of Martellus Bennett; though, Brown is actually longer. Doesn't look fast, probably runs in the 4.7's at Oregon's Pro Day, but he's very smooth and has nice burst out of his breaks. It doesn't hurt that he casts a shadow over half the field. If not for the injury, off-field concerns, I'd either group him with Engram or Hodges. After digging, I may still group him with Hodges in the 2nd; otherwise, he's toward or at the top of the next group.

Thanks for highlighting him, Slimm! Looks like there's some risk, but the upside is huge. I see that he's being rated as a 7th-UDFA, and that's just crazy talk. As long as he's not a complete POS, he should go in the 3rd or 4th, at worst.

Corey Davis and Dalvin Cook are guaranteed top 2 round picks...prolly mid first rounders actually. So to not have them on your board as a Gm wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if you like winning football games

Davis will be in the 1st or 2nd. I was putting off ranking him until he ran at his Pro Day. Going into the Combine, he was my #1 WR, and I'll probably put him in the 1st.

Someone already asked about Cook. To the idea of missing out on a player equating to losing, though, you have the wrong perspective. 31 teams will miss on drafting Cook; 31 teams will miss on drafting Davis. The draft is not as much about picking the exact right player as it is avoiding the wrong player. At any given point in the draft, there will be a group of players that can help your team to varying degrees - at appropriate or even exceptional value. Unless you're a QB-needy team, and you miss on a QB, it's extremely rare that passing on a particular player will haunt the franchise. It certainly won't happen with a RB or WR. Point blank - won't happen. A pattern of drafting players with too much risk relative to the value of the pick will cripple a franchise. Zeroing in too much on particular players will hurt a franchise. Failing to identify which players are good and bad bets will end a FO.

Physically is Brown back to being the tight end prospect he was prior to the injuries?

He looked good in what I could find of his 2016 tape, and the 34" vert doesn't denote a player lacking athleticism. I don't think he was ever as suddenl as Howard, Njoku, Engram, or Hodges, but he's bigger than those players, and he projects to win in different ways. If he has a LB or S sealed, good luck fighting through his back to break up a pass.

take a look at Connor Harris while your at it.

Zach Thomas clone?

take a look at Connor Harris while your at it.

Zach Thomas clone?

I couldn't find anything on Connor Harris, but if you have links, I'd def watch.

Blair Brown plays like he hates your family. He really knows how to coil his hips to **** up your ****. Only one year of significant production, but he looks very good. He might be this year's Jatavis Brown. Similar size, build, physical tools, both tested in the top 15% among LB's. In a 4-3 Over, I think he can play any LB position. He's worth a look in the 3rd. I thought Miami made a big mistake by passing on Jatavis in 2016. Blair Brown is a second chance - assuming he's on the board in the 3rd.

[video=youtube;hbh5dSdQIuk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbh5dSdQIuk[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
No love for my man Malik McDowell, DL, Michigan State?

You must have hated my Miami draft in VIP. Clearly you are not a big risk taker, but you also said athleticism is a huge factor. With his talent shouldn't McDowell at least be on the more info list like Mixon, or is he just a no go like Cook? I hate to write off a 20 year-old for maturity issues especially if they grew up in a hostile environment (like Detroit). I think hanging out with all-pros like Wake and Suh would fix any maturity problems. Jim Miller, MSU radio color man, says he is a freak athlete for his size, he knows every DL position, and that he just needs some coaching.

RW

You must have hated my Miami draft in VIP. Clearly you are not a big risk taker, but you also said athleticism is a huge factor. With his talent shouldn't McDowell at least be on the more info list like Mixon, or is he just a no go like Cook? I hate to write off a 20 year-old for maturity issues especially if they grew up in a hostile environment (like Detroit). I think hanging out with all-pros like Wake and Suh would fix any maturity problems. Jim Miller, MSU radio color man, says he is a freak athlete for his size, he knows every DL position, and that he just needs some coaching.

RW

Would not touch McDowell until the 5th round. He makes Jordan Phillips look ambitious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RW

I don't hate it. McDowell is a 1st-RD talent. He didn't test great, but he was in a similar range, at a similar age, to Leonard Williams.

There just seems to be a lot of smoke around the idea that he's a hot/cold worker and a team cancer. His poor production, relative to his talent, doesn't ease any of those concerns. He's in my "let someone else deal with it" category.

I think you can have different approaches that mitigate risk in different ways. Just because he's low on my board, it doesn't mean that I think someone is wrong for wanting to gamble on his talent.

I'd be interested in your hidden gems if you have a list. Since we have 3 5ths I was thinking of who out there could be had in the 5th who will develop into a stud or maybe just adequate starter

I'd be interested in your hidden gems if you have a list. Since we have 3 5ths I was thinking of who out there could be had in the 5th who will develop into a stud or maybe just adequate starter

It's hard to guess who will go where, but, by position, here are players NFL Draft Scout has rated 5th RD or later that I would be happy to select. I'll put the RD Draft Scout projects beside the name.

RB

Aaron Jones UTEP 6th RD
Joe Williams Utah 6th RD

TE

George Kittle 5th RD
Jonnu Smith 5th RD
Darrell Daniels 7th RD-UDFA
Pharaoh Brown 7th RD-UDFA

WR

Josh Reynolds 5th RD
Jehu Chesson 7th RD-UDFA
(haven't decided where to place the UNC WR's Howard and Hollins, but they'd likely make this list, as well - not even rated as UDFA's)

OG

Ben Braden 5th RD

DT

Charles Walker 5th-6th RD

LB

Elijah Lee 5th RD
Pita Taumoepenu 7th RD-UDFA
Ben Gedeon 5th RD
Blair Brown 7th RD
Marquel Lee 6th-7th RD

CB

Shaquil Griffin 5th RD
Damontae Kazee 5th RD

S

John Johnson 5th RD
Delano Hill 6th RD
Xavier Woods 6th RD
Nate Gerry Not Rated

Of the players listed above, I have a 1st RD grade on Shaquil Griffin and 2nd RD grades on Josh Reynolds, John Johnson, and Nate Gerry. I have Blair Brown, Elijah Lee, George Kittle, Jonnu Smith, and Pharaoh Brown after that. Any three from that list would be great.

What's your take on CB's Jeremy Cutrer of Middle Tennessee State and Corn Elder of Miami?

What's your take on CB's Jeremy Cutrer of Middle Tennessee State and Corn Elder of Miami?

I haven't watched Cutrer, but I'm a big fan of Elder's game. I would have included him in the list above, but he has a 4th/5th RD rating on Draft Scout, and I wasn't adding those players. He takes great angles in the run game, and he tackles with a wide base. I actually posted a gif of him crashing down for a beautiful tackles against Dalvin Cook, with the caption "Honey Badger." In the run game, particularly, he reminds me of Mathieu - fearless. I think 3rd RD is adequate value for Elder, but I think you can get better value at that pick. If Elder is there in the 5th, he should be pretty high on the list. He's still growing as a CB (was a RB in HS), and his size does knock his value. He's also not the playmaker that Mathieu was/is. So, 3rd/4th seems like the right spot for a really good, tough player, who is smaller than ideal, not a high-end athlete, and not someone who forces a lot of TO's, but he's one of my favorite players to watch.

Back
Top Bottom