Jason Allen (not looking like a starting caliber player) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jason Allen (not looking like a starting caliber player)

Dmancari23 said:
I hated the pick @ #16 from the start. I wouldn't have minded it very late in the 1st or early second, but this guy doesn't seem to have any talent just watching him. The only thing I've ever seen out of the guy is speed, and that more times than not does not equal success. If he's anything like he was in college, we're in for a bust. The Gators ALWAYS burnt this guy. Ask Chad Jackson what he thinks of Jason Allen, he probably has a few glimpses of him as he ran past him into the end zone of the years.

see, NOW we know where you are coming from from...you don't like the guy so you ignore everything about him that looks good and pound on the things that make him look bad. I really hate it when people know nothing about what is REALLY going on rant their hate at a new guy. Why not listen to the coaches postgame.. you won't like it but he does explain what he's doing right now with Allen.

Larry said it perfect.

I don't care what Chad thinks... he isn't a Miami Dolphins coach.

Damn! Talk about football passion. This rookie holds out for 10 days, missing valuable camp time, then gets thrown to the wolves the first 2 games of PRESEASON. Not to mention he's being trained to play out of position due to injuries and people here are ripping him apart. I'll admit I wasn't thrilled with the pick myself after the draft (I was hoping for the Florida State CB) but at least I'm willing to wait until the regular season to judge the kid. If he has the speed (as some of you say) then all he needs are the reps in practice to get the mental aspects of the defense down and know what he's supposed to do.

I love everyone who is bashing a player who hasn't even had the benefit of an entire camp. Do any of you know how important that is to an NFL player? Give the guy a chance to get used to the pure speed of the NFL game. The only reason he's out there is to try to get the man a crash course because of the time he missed in training camp. Cut the guy some slack.

So much negativity here...

How much more reactionary does this place get? I'm almost regretting joining these forums. I can understand the desire to win every game, but Saban is treating these preseason games as extended practices, not actual games. He said as such after the first game.

The real time to start worrying is when our O-line gets run through and our defense gets burned by Pittsburgh. Until then, everything happening on the field is an experiment.

Dmancari23 said:
Well, I have to admit, I was and still am very critical of this whole Jason Allen experiment. The guy looks absolutely lost. I don't care about the time he's missed. I think back and look back to the rookie seasons of Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams and I am thinking we got owned with this pick. I questioned the pick from day 1. I'm extremely dissapointed that we passed on guys like Winston Justice, Chad Jackson, Antonio Cromartie, and Manny Lawson for this guy. I am a big Gators fan and watch alot of SEC football and this guy was nothing special at Tennessee.. I am hating this pick more than ever now. I know everyone will hate my opinion and say it's only preseason. That's a bunch of crock. There's plenty of guys out there making plays even though it's preseason. I hope he ends up being good, but wow is he making Saban look like an idiot for reaching and drafting him so early.
Please

Too funny man, and worst thing about it, its like he has Allen out there to just say "lets see what u can do" . . which lets me know he has tons of confidence in this kid and really has taken him under his wing. He's playing out of position (He is a FS not a CB), I mean geez, less than 2 weeks of camp, not to mention the kid sat out pretty much his entire senior year w/ injury. GIVE HIM SOME TIME, THIS IS THE PRESEASON!!

LOL @ calling him a bust man, the kid looks very active out there and will be a playmaker for us, has good technique IMO just made a mental error, it happens.

here is my thoughts on allen. one its preseason and he as already been thrown in these games which i love. he is getin beat on some big plays but. he as already played one game at SS, and one at CB. talk about a learning curve. when he does finally begin to understand the D he is going to be able to play any position on our D. jus like saban said he want our secondary 2 b able to do. this kid is going to be fantastic. give it a little time. it might take till da middle of the season. but i think all the vets on our D are going to help him get it. look out when he does understand it all though. the game will slow down for him. thats when u will begin to see all the great plays he will make 4 us. 4 the next 5 years. :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins:

Man people just don't understand the luxury we are gonna have with this guy being so versatile in the secondary, and he is in fantastic shape . . maybe he wont shine like some people want him to right away but I have no doubt JAllen will be a special player for this defense. Nick knows this as well.

Didn't he miss most of his last year in college with an injury along with the start of training camp? Give the kid some time to get readjusted to the speed of the game. At least he looks healthy which was my concern. His play will pick up.

Give the guy sometime to learn the system and get the feel of the speed of the NFL before starting to bash him. He'll be a heck of a football player.

things never change.. Every preseason some rookie is declared a bust by our team of experts.

The only thing that concerns me is Jason Allen getting run over. He will learn coverages in time but what is the deal with him not being able to take down a runningback. On last nights finheaven official game thread some guys said he got owned by tampa's 3rd string RB. After watching his highlight video Im a little nervous this guy cant tackle.

Cornerbacks take the longest to develop in the nfl (next to QB, i suppose). i will be totally satisfied if he plays horribly this year and then comes into his own the year after or even the year after that. I'd be more satisfied if he steps in and becomes an adequate db this year but i won't hold him to outlandish expextations. He has plenty of time to improve and we shouldn't be reliant on a rookie in his first year at any position. Luckily we had Ricky last year to guide RB in. Would anyone really have wanted or expected us to throw the ball into Ronnie's hands and push him to the meddle in his first year? Don't expect so much from J Allen. Not yet.

I think Allen will be fine in time as well as the rest of our secondary. It's only pre-season and we have alot of injuries at that position. When the regular season starts, I see the usual big push up front making it easier on our secondary.

Back
Top Bottom