Jay Fiedler.... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Fiedler....

yankeehillbilly said:
Did you watch him play in Miami? The 3 second windup for passes over 15 yds, and then missing his receiver by 10yds or more? Choosing to throw to a double covered receiver when on the other side of the field he had a guy wide open? Throwing a screen or a short pass over the middle so poorly that the receiver had to stop, jump, or dive to catch the ball...eliminating any chance of yards after the catch?

I gave Jay the benefit of the doubt during his first season because I knew my judgement was clouded by memories of Marino....But from year 2 on, I judged Fiedler on his merits....or more accurately, the lack of them. He's an average backup QB. Thats all he ever was, and at this stage I would bet thats all he will ever be.

Yea, I never said he was perfect or even a great QB. His arm is average at best and he did make dumb mistakes sometimes, but for the most part I think he was a solid player. I still think hes 1 of the most accurate passers while running in the NFL, he has good pocket awareness, and most importantly hes a leader and he plays with balls.Of coarse he missed open recievers because our line didnt give him enough time to scan the field, his choice was either to pass immediately or get sacked. How can you not respect a guy who came into this league as an undrafted free agent from the Ivy Leagues and worked his way up to being a starter in the pros for 5 years? And he won more then he lost as a starter! He also had to deal with playing for a ****ty head coach, he never had a good o-line, and he had a defense that consistently choked (yet everyone loves and never blames for anything bad). Fiedler is an overachiever who based from pedigree doesnt even belong in the NFL, yet hes had a relatively long career and hes made millions. You Jay haters just need to get over it and start concentrating your hate towards AJ Feeley.....or George Bush.

Prakk said:
Why it looked like Jay had protection when passing. Jay made his own space, with his feet, and overlooked talent in a quarterback. Though he was slow, Marino had that ability. Brian didn't, and it showed when he was back there.

Dolfans, Jay's days are over, he's hated because he was good, just good, nothing more than a QB with an underaverage arm and with overaverage skills to create his play behind very weak olines year by year and in a system where every route must be runned as planned and never worry about our QB.

This was a very conservative offense that never helped any QB to upgrade and always showed Fiedler as the best option but that never meaned he was better overall.

As a real dolfan i'll always hate his days as dolphin because he never give seriuos opportunities to get a superbowl, but i'll keep on my mind those moments when he bravely lead us to win.

To say Fiedler has good instincts is juts plain wrong. He obviously was smart (Dartmouth) but made way too many stupid plays and I chalk them up to his instinct. He was a tough sob and i respect him for that. But too many interceptions for a servicable QB and now he is a Jet. Must hate him. It's a rule.

KillerJosh373 said:
Yea, I never said he was perfect or even a great QB. His arm is average at best and he did make dumb mistakes sometimes, but for the most part I think he was a solid player. I still think hes 1 of the most accurate passers while running in the NFL, he has good pocket awareness, and most importantly hes a leader and he plays with balls.Of coarse he missed open recievers because our line didnt give him enough time to scan the field, his choice was either to pass immediately or get sacked. How can you not respect a guy who came into this league as an undrafted free agent from the Ivy Leagues and worked his way up to being a starter in the pros for 5 years? And he won more then he lost as a starter! He also had to deal with playing for a ****ty head coach, he never had a good o-line, and he had a defense that consistently choked (yet everyone loves and never blames for anything bad). Fiedler is an overachiever who based from pedigree doesnt even belong in the NFL, yet hes had a relatively long career and hes made millions. You Jay haters just need to get over it and start concentrating your hate towards AJ Feeley.....or George Bush.

thanks for a good laugh.
:lol:

i will say this:

There are some parts of Fielder i hope Feeley has

Feidler had all the intangibles you would want out of a QB. He only had one problem: he couldn't throw.

KillerJosh373 said:

I respect his effort...always have. Doesnt mean I would want him starting on my team though. Think about it...... lets say you want someone to paint your house. Along comes a guy that is completely colorblind...only sees shades of gray... offering to do the job. Now this guy has overcome a lot in becoming a house painter in spite of his obvious limitations and would probably make a decent painter's helper. Now, even though you are impressed by the drive and attitude of this guy, do you really want to turn him loose on your house knowing he simply doesnt have the tools to do the job right?

As for Jay's tenure as a starting QB.... how many other offers to start did he get? Who ever tried to trade for him? Who besides Wanny had that much faith in him? Remember, Wanny was the one that felt Rick Mirer was worth a 1st round pick AFTER Mirer proved he was nearly worthless in Seattle. Saying that Jay was good enough to remain a 5 year starter for Dave Wannstedt isnt exactly a ringing endorsement.
Jay was tough, he never quit, he always gave 100%, he was always a team player, and he was smart enough to take advantage of the situation in Miami.
He was just never a talented QB.

Maynard said:
i will say this:

There are some parts of Fielder i hope Feeley has

Feidler had all the intangibles you would want out of a QB. He only had one problem: he couldn't throw.

I like my quarterbacks to be classier and more willing to take responsibility

Prakk said:
He was a potentially good to very good system quarterback with mobility and instinct. He had a weak arm and sometimes the ball got away from him. If he had been in a west coast offense on a pretty good team, he'd have made at least one pro bowl team in his career. Instead he covered for our lousy offensive line for years and made them look better than they were by not getting sacked. Ask Brian Griese about that.

WELL put but he still blew a lot of games and I don't think he should of had that many years of starting for us.

Fiedler is probably not a bad guy, never stole a freight train as they say. I admired his guts and he never gave up. However he has no arm at all and is a terrible passer. Not an NFL quality passer, despite his years as a starter. I agree he often got very little if any help from the rest of the guys on the field, but he is still a terrible passer.

yankeehillbilly said:
As for Jay's tenure as a starting QB.... how many other offers to start did he get? Who ever tried to trade for him? Who besides Wanny had that much faith in him? Remember, Wanny was the one that felt Rick Mirer was worth a 1st round pick AFTER Mirer proved he was nearly worthless in Seattle. Saying that Jay was good enough to remain a 5 year starter for Dave Wannstedt isnt exactly a ringing endorsement.
Jay was tough, he never quit, he always gave 100%, he was always a team player, and he was smart enough to take advantage of the situation in Miami.
He was just never a talented QB.

yeah, Feidler was allowed to stay because of the copy-cat league that the NFL is. Wanny wanted to duplicate what the Ravens did. all you heard from the experts on ESPN was: the QB just had has to manage the game and not make mistakes. But that style of play demands that the QB hit the outside recievers who are in one-on-one coverage. Dilfer could do it, while Feidler could not.

Of course, now all the ESPN guys emphasize how important the QB is...I really hate ESPN

Maynard said:
yeah, Feidler was allowed to stay because of the copy-cat league that the NFL is. Wanny wanted to duplicate what the Ravens did. all you heard from the experts on ESPN was: the QB just had has to manage the game and not make mistakes. But that style of play demands that the QB hit the outside recievers who are in one-on-one coverage. Dilfer could do it, while Feidler could not.

Of course, now all the ESPN guys emphasize how important the QB is...I really hate ESPN

Dilfer made many mistakes. He just had an arm that made up for them once in a blue moon

exactly. thats the difference between a playoff team and one that can win the Super Bowl. If Feidler could have hit Chambers deep and not telegraphed the 10-15 yd outs to Gadsden, you'd have a much more dangerous team. possibly a Super Bowl winner.

Jay couldn't execute consistently on passing plays, especially in bad weather. End of story.

Belgrade !

urbanski said:
"Hey Prakk, where in MT are you at? I'm in Great Falls."
I used to work on 10th Avenue South, and I also worked for Q106 Radio, years ago. I'm in the Gallatin Valley now.
Phantom said:
"I hope Jay Fiedler plays for the Jets, exactly how he played for us.........."
And Jay had a....winning record!?!?!?!?
TARHEEL38 said:
"You must be outta yur gorde. If he plays they will beat us by 5 TDs. He is easlily the best QB ever to play in a Dolphin uniform."
Now you see, I had them going, and you gotta go and say something like that. Jay was the third best QB to start as a Dolphin IMHO.
TARHEEL38 said:
"I know if I was him I would hate this organization and it's fans with a passion."
That's more like it.

Hugh McBryde

Back
Top Bottom