****Joe Burrow Super Thread**** | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Joe Burrow Super Thread****

STOP

This is the main football forum and posts should be about the thread topic and not attacks on follow posters

Knock it off

Don't reply just follow the rules

Slim is just pointing out what many of us know. One of Ross's biggest failings is he continues to hold onto key parts from a former front office/coaching staff. Grier has been with the dolphins for 20 years and has been a paid scout in the NFL since 1995. During his tenure with the Dolphins the team has drafted poorly. Hard to know the extent he played in that drafting but it was certainly more than zero percent.

I like what I have seen lately and do like Flores as a coach. But I wasn't impressed with the 2019 draft (2018 wasn't bad). Hopefully he feels secure enough to take some risks and it isn't just a character trait that makes him play it safe.

Frankly I can't see what Ross saw in choosing him to "tear down and rebuild" a team. I remain hopeful that I will be proven wrong but right now I have to agree with Slim.

Now back to the Burrow talk. No way I'd take Burrow over Tua.

P.S. Slim, if you care to answer I'm curious what you think of Flores. Or to put it another way, if you owned the team and decided to part ways with Grier, would you tell potential GM prospects "Flores stays as head coach".

The topic is the Burrow rumors

Please stay on topic if you want to keep posting in this thread

Heck Yes. I would trade our 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder for Joe Burrow. Once in a lifetime time Quarterbacks only come around once in a lifetime.

Well, when we had Tunsil and Fitzpatrick, we still lacked a QB. And we still lost. So yeah, I’d say they’re worth a QB

So we are back to the same discussion, giving up a boatload of draft capital for a player who has question marks. There is NO generational franchise QB in this draft (there could be, but not based on their collective college resumes).

If we decided to take a QB then take him at one of our current draft positions, even if that means a TUA. Never trade up, the math has proven it rarely is worth it.

But you don't go from undraftable to #1 overall pick in a single year and think that he just all of a sudden learned all those things on his 23rd birthday.

Why didn't his pocket presence and feel translate the year prior when he was a 16 TD 5 INT QB throwing for 20% lower efficiency?

Not saying that Burrow won't turn out to be great. I just think that the bust rate is higher in Burrow than it is in Tua without factoring in the medical stuff.

Tua has been great his whole life.

Coaching? System? Surrounding Cast? And, sometimes, the light simply comes on. Now, we are witnessing his ceiling, that is something to consider. There are others who’s ceiling may be higher, but he looks like a solid starting QB in the NFL.

Burrow also took one class and could prep well beyond the other players he faced. That preparation gap is gone, in fact he is at a deficit the day he steps on that stage as the #1 pick.

I hope he can adjust and overcome the Bengals but that’s a tall order. He is working with Jordan Palmer pre draft who works with a ton of guys. Wonder if Carson will join workouts and keep in Butrow’s ear about how poor of an organization the Bengals are. It’s the only way the very unlikely scenario of Burrow saying he won’t play for the Bengals has any traction IMO.

Last edited:
I'd offer my next 8 1st rounders for Mahomes and KC would still laugh. People underestimate the real value of a great QB.
Well Mahomes is beyond great, he’s ELITE. And he’s proven, already have a league mvp and a SB MVP. Burrow has done nothing in the nfl yet so I can see why people don’t wanna give up the farm for him.

This is the key.

A 20% increase in completion percentage and a 300% increase in touchdowns in one season cannot be construed as improvement. There's a reason why Joe Brady is now suddenly making around a million dollars to come to the NFL.

My point of contention all along with Joe Burrow was that it might make sense to invest high in him if you're bringing Joe Brady with him. Otherwise, you risk Burrow looking like he did in 2018 instead of 2019. He didn't suddenly develop outstanding tools or talent. The system changed.

The only logical conclusion is that the real Joe Burrow is somewhere between the two. It's important to be able to figure out which end it favors as far as being in between.
Burrow did not play badly in 2018. He merely was in a different offense and he played well in that offense and improved as the year went along.

While Brady certainly bought a more innovative offense to LSU in 2019, he wasn’t the person throwing the passes or making the plays which led to the team being undefeated. That was Burrow who was making those plays along with the rest of the players on offense and defense.

The truth is that Burrow was a very good starter in 2018 who developed into a great starter in 2019.I was always under the impression that the better players continue to improve each year as their skills develop. That is exactly what happened to Burrow. I tend to think that the Burrow haters are merely Tua lover who just don’t want to accept that Burrow is a better pro prospect than Tua.

I don't think many people are expecting burrow to put up video game numbers in the NFL. He wasn't bad his first year at LSU either. Aaron Rodgers had similar numbers his first season at cal. But you have to be impressed with Burrows intangibles, movement in and out of the pocket, his accuracy and decision making. It's not just because of his gaudy numbers. If youre giving credit to more Joe Brady and that system, then EVERY team should adopt that offense and Joe Brady should be a head coach. Burrow is one of the better pocket passer QB prospects that I have seen in awhile and he is also sneaky good athlete who can pick up first downs with his legs.
If I am spending a first OA on a player I want big production maybe not year one but by year 2 certainly

While Burrow can run for first downs against College teams getting space to run will be super difficult he may be a comparable athlete to Aaron Rodgers but without the arm it really levels the playing field

Even at 6’4 220 lbs D coordinators will want him running for first downs - he did not show us the quick twitch who can avoid hits

Last edited:
Burrow also took one class and could prep well beyond the other players he faced. That preparation gap is gone, in fact he is at a deficit the day he steps on that stage as the #1 pick.

I hope he can adjust and overcome the Bengals but that’s a tall order. He is working with Jordan Palmer pre draft who works with a ton of guys. Wonder if Carson will join workouts and keep in Butrow’s ear about how poor of an organization the Bengals are. It’s the only way the very unlikely scenario of Burrow saying he won’t play for the Bengals has any traction IMO.

Burrow was at LSU for less than 2 years and yet he earned his Masters degree in the time he was there. You don’t earn a Masters by taking only 1 course and by spending all your time studying football film.

You obviously have no idea want it takes to earn a Masters degree from a major university, because if you did you wouldn’t be spreading lies concerning Burrow nay taking 1 class at LSU.

The reality is that NFL quarterbacks have a lot more time to prepare for games each week because they are playing football for a living and they no longer have to attend classes during the week to remain eligible to play.

not for a one year wonder with a weakish nfl arm. Dont get me wrong, if I'm sitting at number one I take him, but I dont give up the farm for him.
First of all he was not a one year wonder. He was a very good QB in 2018 who improved as the year went along and led his team to a winning season. He just happened to have the best season in college history as a QB in 2019 and somehow that makes him a One year wonder I guess.

As far as his arm is concerned. I watched him play several times this year and I didn’t see any pass he couldn’t make. I remember before they came into the league, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady were suppose to have questionable arm strength and many questioned if they would make it in the NFL. Also none of those future HOF QB’s ever had a college season as great as Burrow just had.

While I liked Tua prior to his numerous injuries, I just don’t see him holding up physically in the NFL. I also think Burrow is the best QB in the draft and if the goal of the Dolphins going into the 2019 season was to lose so they could get their QB of the future. They should do whatever they need to do to try and move up to draft Burrow, IMO.

Tunsil wasn't great this year and Minkah disappeared after all the TOs stopped falling right into his lap. Those are not All-Pro caliber players imo.

That said, wouldn't trade them for Burrow though. The one year of production still bothers me.
Perhaps you need to look up his stats in 2018 and you would see how foolish it is to state that he only had one year of production in college. He was a very good QB in 2018 who just happened to develop in a great college QB in 2019 when LSU decided to open up the offense under his leadership.

Back
Top Bottom