Joe Rose: Ricky will be coming back | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Rose: Ricky will be coming back

KB21 said:
Source: Ricky has changed his mind and has decided to put all his effort into the Save the Penguins Foundation in Antarctica.

These people with their "sources close to" crack me up. Especially in this instance. Ricky Williams doesn't know what he wants to do from week to week, much less what he wants to do 6 months from now.

:roflmao: :roflmao: If anything is certain it's your comment about Ricky. Absolutely true.

Ricky has to play in order to get some value. And he has to do it for more than one year. Even if he does come back he wont be starting. I think he has a high interest to be part of a regular rotation of RBs. He pissed and moaned that the load was too much for him with Whinestedt. Any team would love to have a guy of Ricky's calibre as a backup. And I agree, when he comes back we should sign him to the veteran minimum for I think 3 years.

If Ricky comes back, I would be shocked if we traded him. Why would we? Edgerin James cant go for a 2. Shaun Alexander cant go for a 2. Travis Henry cant go for a 3.

The draft was a fantastic one for runningbacks. Nearly every team who wanted one was able to get one. Good ones, like Kay Jay Harris even because Undrafted Free Agents.

We wont get a damned thing for Ricky.

If he comes back, he wont have the ability to flake out again. No team will sign him to a contract that isnt completely incentives based, and full of weight, playing time, drug testing, etc. clauses.

He knows that if he comes back, he is going to have to play at full speed. When he first talked about his retirement, he said that if he went on and didnt play full out he would get hurt.

His weight isnt a huge issue. He is about 200 pounds now reportedly, down from his usual mid 220's. If he is in good physical shape condition, which all pictures and acticles seem to suggest, then I dont see any problem with him coming back before he is at his full weight.

As far as I know, he has done nothing to hurt his playing ability. Reputation, paycheck, fame, respect, etc? Sure. But if he can get back on the field, he is still a very talented runner, and a year off after the most carries in two seasons could be a good thing.

No doubt he would have a lot to prove.... seems many have him burdened.....the guy smoked and walked... yes he is a flake.... he has the ability.... he needs to get back into shape and prove he wants to play.... teams will have interest... for cryin' out loud they drafted Clarrett in the 3rd round....

That would be awesome with brown and RW in the backfield taking turns carrying the rock. Both would be full of breath and we would constantly have a serious running threat.

occamz_razr said:
Ricky has to play in order to get some value. And he has to do it for more than one year. Even if he does come back he wont be starting. I think he has a high interest to be part of a regular rotation of RBs. He pissed and moaned that the load was too much for him with Whinestedt. Any team would love to have a guy of Ricky's calibre as a backup. And I agree, when he comes back we should sign him to the veteran minimum for I think 3 years.

The common misconception is that Ricky's workload had something to do with his retirement. Of course he claims it does, but Ricky had the option to come out for a rest any time he wanted. It was his call. Also, Travis Minor was supposed to be the 3rd down back. Ricky requested to be left in on 3rd downs.
The "workload" argument was just another excuse from Ricky to try to avoid taking responsibility for his actions.

You have to admit, Ricky Williams, when in top form, is one of the best if not the best power running back in the NFL. A rare talent that can still help the Dolphins from obscurity and embarassment into respectability and honor of winning a Super Bowl.

He does have a psychological disorder and a drug problem that was just further increased by Wanny's debacle the last few years. But Ricky Williams's problems can be solved by proper medical, coaching, and personal guidance. It's not as if this person was some sort of criminal or major drug user. There are worse players with drug/steroid problems reinstated or drafted by the NFL.

Maybe this is the chance for Ricky Williams to redeem himself, to the NFL, to the public, to the Dolphins organization, and to the Dolphins fans.

Keep that jerk away from our football team.

Things are finally starting to improve from the mess HE created - do NOT bring this guy back.

While I agree that it is ludicrous to think you can count on this guy from one week to the next, Saban said something when first talking to reporters after drafting Ronnie Brown on Saturday that gives me a little reason to suspect that he *really* may want RopeWeed back. I'm not referring to the "No, why not ... two are better than one" comment.

Before any of those comments were made, when listing the qualities of Brown which made him an attractive pick, he included, and I'm paraphrasing here, "he can play with another significant player". Now, I realize that means, bottom line, that he can split carries or play at fullback, but I couldn't help but think of RW when he made that comment. I recognize I could well be reading too much into that, but it makes me wonder.

If Ricky decides to return, he WILL play for the Dolphins. He has no choice. How else is he going to pay back the money he owes us???....

We'll have him for at least one full season, that I can promise you. Nobody would want him with the condition he's in right now, but after a full season of work, and showing himself to be "back", teams will be much more willing to make an offer for him. We can't lose here....

I welcome him back, and I hope he stays in Miami for more than just one season. Having Ricky and Brown, it would be very tough to find a better RB core than that in the NFL. We have to be welcoming this, not rejecting it....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

dolfanatik said:
You have to admit, Ricky Williams, when in top form, is one of the best if not the best power running back in the NFL. A rare talent that can still help the Dolphins from obscurity and embarassment into respectability and honor of winning a Super Bowl.

He does have a psychological disorder and a drug problem that was just further increased by Wanny's debacle the last few years. But Ricky Williams's problems can be solved by proper medical, coaching, and personal guidance. It's not as if this person was some sort of criminal or major drug user. There are worse players with drug/steroid problems reinstated or drafted by the NFL.

Maybe this is the chance for Ricky Williams to redeem himself, to the NFL, to the public, to the Dolphins organization, and to the Dolphins fans.

Well done....

Oboy said:
From who? Buffalo could not get anything for Henry. Indy could not get anything for Edge. Seattle could not get anything for Alexander.

How can we get anything for a back that has been out of football for a year and is a big risk to jump ship again?

It is all about the money. If he signs for a one million a year contract and begins to regain some of his old form, he will be worth a lot in a deal while to get James or Alexander you have to also use a ton of cap space. Their value is at best equal to what they are paid, Ricky's could be more than he is being paid. That being said, I am skeptical that this would ever happen or that he could regain his old form without getting a lot of playing time for us...then again could he actually be even faster with the less weight?

Ohio Fanatic said:
I doubt that. Saban doesn't have the malice towards Ricky that you do. If Ricky comes back, he HAS to play for Miami. Saban has to utilize RIcky to try and up his trade value. He won't start for us, we won't depend on him, but if he's in shape, you're crazy to think Saban/Linehan won't utilize Ricky.

I totally agree with you. Think of how useful he will be when he does not have to carry the ball 40 times a game. Also we will be able to protect the run with some sort of passing game unlike when Wanny was here calling run after run after run.

Also he would then become trade bait for the Raiders or some other sucker.

Back
Top Bottom