****Justin Herbert Super Thread**** | Page 49 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Justin Herbert Super Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kam

I believe in the coaches ability to coach up QB's I do not agree with trading three first round picks for an injured QB when the same coaches can coach up and create the QB we need from prospects like Hurts and Gordon

What part of that escapes you?.. I tried to dumb it down for you.

The sure thing defensive players like Okudah do not need to be really coached up...

I’m also on the Herbert wagon when looking at the fact that Tua is glass and can’t see him surviving long in The NFL but.... I’d rather we draft Oline and D all day long and ride Fitzy and Rosen till next year.
Yah Tannehill 2 / 8-8 forever!!!

Why does everyone compare Herbert to Tannehill? One is a converted WR transformed into a QB that played for a mediocre team and had so so stats. The other has been a top prospect for a couple of years, would have been the top QB last yr, played on very good teams, had nice stats playing in a bad scheme fit.
I am not saying he is Tua but he is definitely not Tannehil.

Why does everyone compare Herbert to Tannehill? One is a converted WR transformed into a QB that played for a mediocre team and had so so stats. The other has been a top prospect for a couple of years, would have been the top QB last yr, played on very good teams, had nice stats playing in a bad scheme fit.

Just for the record... Tannehill was a qb who was good enough of an athelte that he was used as a legit starting receiver because he was playing behind an all-conference caliber qb as a freshman and sophmore and then he later returned to his original and legit position of quarterback. He wasnot just some receiver that was converted to a quarterback.

Fair enough and he was beat out by a Heisman winner but the rest stands. He was a reach when we took him and does not have Herberts pedigree.

Herbert has done the most work out of anybody that could be active during the off season. He has answered some questions and shown a willingness to work on his other flawed areas. Which should be applauded. He is taking risks by putting himself out there like that. The more tape and more practices that people can watch the easier it is to pick at you as a player. IF the FO and coaching staff see him as the best option then take him and I will support him until he hopefully retires after 15 years an 3+ Superbowl wins.

What I am not a fan of is a player simply saying oh look at my tape I dont need to impress you with workouts. Riding the hype train is a smart business decision, because teams wont have the ability to poke at you as much when your lackluster skills get put on display. Wish it was mandatory for you to do on field workouts if you were invited to the combine minus a medical issue like Tua or Jalen Smith. You still want highlight players to be able to have the availability to meetings and such. Like if Burrow knew he was going to get measured and take a few interviews and dip then let him do that on his own time. Not that the Qb who replaces him on the combine list will be better but at least that kid gets a chance to go onto the field and continue to try and sell himself.

I dont buy Palmer's interview with MacAfee where he said oh Joe just take a breathe enjoy your time take a good long break and then we can build a program for 2 months. He could have rested for 2 weeks then gotten hard after it for 3 weeks and killed the combine. But he didnt; he his going to build and script a perfect program so he can look flawless in a pro day workout. Tua hasnt done football activities and QB stuff since November and will throw a full workout/pro day like 3 weeks after he is cleared. Joe who had "the greatest season ever" needed 3 months to get ready to throw for the off season? All players have flaws, there is no perfect prospect, but hiding and only working the the most controlled environments gives me reason to pause.

Because of the off season Herbert has jumped to QB2 IMO. And thanks to the hype train will go to an organization with some structure which will help him have the best shot at success. Rather than the Bengals or Washington

Last edited:

White, tall.

That's it

Tannehill is better is that what you mean to say??

Herbert’s and Allen’s rocket doesn’t make up for their inability to read a D see the man Who is not open get open and the ball arrives on time and is not late - Or look off the safeties so they will be off and running

GOOD article.

"
So would it be smarter for the Dolphins to give up assets to trade up for Tagovailoa or stay at No. 5 and take Herbert?

“If I’m comfortable with Tua’s health — and I have to study that with intensity unlike anything before — I would move up and take Tua” because of superior “accuracy, a quick release and anticipation,” Huard said. “He’s got a charisma and a flair and artistry in today’s game that you need.”

▪ During the past two seasons, no NFL quarterback has performed worse in the face of a pass rush than Josh Rosen, according to Pro Football Focus. And that’s also a problem with Herbert, according to the website. And that should very much worry the Dolphins.

Per PFF, among 129 qualifying FBS quarterbacks last season, Herbert ranked 124th in negatively graded play rate under pressure.

“You can see his panic in a collapsing pocket, an area where a first-round quarterback really shouldn’t be losing his poise,” PFF’s Anthony Treash says. “He’ll try and create outside of the structure but will toss up some desperation heaves.”

On the flip side, from a clean pocket, Herbert has the highest accurate pass rate in the 2020 draft class among throws of at least 20 yards.

Herbert fans see Herbert at his best and believe that can be harnessed and the poor throws eliminated. But that’s a risky proposition as a projection.

▪ Against the six highest-rated defenses he faced last season, PFF said he made just seven big-time (impressive) throws and 10 turnover-worthy plays.

▪ More troubling metrics on his uneven accuracy: Last season, he ranked 64th in FBS in accurate-pass rate on throws that were made in 2.5 seconds or less and traveled less than 10 yards. That’s not good enough for what should be some of the simplest throws.

On passes that traveled 19 yards or fewer with a clean pocket, Herbert threw the fourth-most incompletions “that were faulted to him — whether it was an overthrow, underthrow, ball in front or behind, etc,” Treash notes.

That’s second-worst among the top seven QBs in this class and symptomatic of his inconsistency.

▪ In all, PFF said 15.3 percent of Herbert’s pass attempts resulted in an incompletion that was his fault — below Tagovailoa’s 12.0 and Burrow’s 6.3. Among top QB prospects in this draft, only Jordan Love (17.3) was worse.

“Perhaps even more alarming is that Herbert had the most incompletions faulted to him when throwing to a receiver with open separation and on his first read,” PFF said. “He’s been known to lock in on his first read far too quickly and far too long.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom