****Justin Herbert Super Thread**** | Page 62 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Justin Herbert Super Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of nice 2020 Draft QB evaluations out there.

This isn't one of them.

Anytime anyone speaks THIS authoritatively about ANYTHING

it is a good idea to step back and do your OWN analysis.

He is a very intelligent kid and he is very athletic for his size.

those two qualities don't usually come together.

He has played a lot of games as a starter in college, his record and stats say a lot more about him than this evaluation does.

It always amuses me when critics fail to account for all circumstances around a QB.

Last year I pushed for Drew Lock... all the “experts” were so indignant that Drew Lock was a bust...Denver doesn’t think so now!

He had a few game manager-esque games. You may want to hold off on patting yourself on the back.

It always amuses me when critics fail to account for all circumstances around a QB.

Last year I pushed for Drew Lock... all the “experts” were so indignant that Drew Lock was a bust...Denver doesn’t think so now!
What do you disagree with in the video?

This is a really good analysis of the issues with Herbert. The guy who made this video is totally on point when he says and I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact words "Teams often ignore the ability to play the position as they fall in love with the physical skillset." That couldn't be more apt for Herbert. I still actually like him as a prospect but his tape is nowhere near the level of Tua's and it's laughable that folks have him close to or even above Tua in their evaluations. Now the big question for any team that drafts him, including us, is can you fix him. I said at the start of the draft season that there are a lot of egos in the NFL coaching ranks and there is no doubt in my mind that many think they can.

He had a few game manager-esque games. You may want to hold off on patting yourself on the back.

Well...a QB rating of about 90 as a rookie...greater than 2-1 touchdown to interception ratio...completed 64% of his passes....and he won 4 out of 5 games as a starter.

Oh... and clearly Denver feels he is the future!

This is a really good analysis of the issues with Herbert. The guy who made this video is totally on point when he says and I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact words "Teams often ignore the ability to play the position as they fall in love with the physical skillset." That couldn't be more apt for Herbert. I still actually like him as a prospect but his tape is nowhere near the level of Tua's and it's laughable that folks have him close to or even above Tua in their evaluations. Now the big question for any team that drafts him, including us, is can you fix him. I said at the start of the draft season that there are a lot of egos in the NFL coaching ranks and there is no doubt in my mind that many think they can.
What's more likely? The coaching staff can teach Herbert to use his physical talent to its fullest, or they can teach Tagovailoa to play to his fullest and be more durable?

I liked drew Lock a lot too, a lot of folks made their minds up early on with Lock. What I saw with the kid coming out in his final half season was clear progression, you could see how much he had worked on his game and fixed stuff. He was a bargain for the Broncos in round 2, but those folks that dismissed him weren't ever going to move from their positions.

Herbert is the complete opposite case however, he's someone who did not show visible signs of getting better through his college career, that's a huge concern. He has actually shown more progression in the role through this draft process. There could be a great player there but it's a much, much, bigger risk that you can get that out of him than it is to gamble on Tua's health (which is no given either).

What's more likely? The coaching staff can teach Herbert to use his physical talent to its fullest, or they can teach Tagovailoa to play to his fullest and be more durable?

Like I said in my post above. I would much rather take a chance on Tua standing up to the rigors of the NFL, than Herbert being able to be coached up to be the QB he needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom