****Justin Herbert Super Thread**** | Page 70 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

****Justin Herbert Super Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tua and Burrow are clearly above the rest in talent. Cant ignore Tua's hip injury though so if they are both gone at 5, maybe you bargain bin this year and pick next year by trading down. You could get lucky with Herbert/Love/Eason/Fromm later without a trade up too.

Personally would rather sit out another year and build the team and take a QB next year if the options arent Burrow or Tua at 5. No need to take a Tannehill because were desperate for a franchise QB. We could have had Keuchly (who i wanted badly) and then gotten Russell Wilson later.

Lets not discount the bargain bin QB and use Minchew as the only example.

See if you can live with these weaknesses . . .
  • Can be inaccurate
  • Poor ball placement
  • Ball security; throws too many interceptions
  • Field vision
  • Working through progressions
  • Will need to learn working under center
  • Will need to learn working a NFL huddle
  • Will need to improve footwork
  • Prone to throwing too high
  • Can stare down his primary read

Oh, I forgot to mention, that list came from Deshaun watson's draft scouting report

Ha! Exactly my point. Well said brother...

Tua and Burrow are clearly above the rest in talent. Cant ignore Tua's hip injury though so if they are both gone at 5, maybe you bargain bin this year and pick next year by trading down. You could get lucky with Herbert/Love/Eason/Fromm later without a trade up too.

Personally would rather sit out another year and build the team and take a QB next year if the options arent Burrow or Tua at 5. No need to take a Tannehill because were desperate for a franchise QB. We could have had Keuchly (who i wanted badly) and then gotten Russell Wilson later.

Lets not discount the bargain bin QB and use Minchew as the only example.

You guys keep referencing trading down and going for the QB in 2021, but fail to mention that teams have to be willing to trade. We could have 6 first round picks in 2021 and offer the entire lot of them for the number 1 pick and still get told no because that team wants the QB. Passing on our best chance at a franchise changing QB in hopes of *maybe* finding a way to trade into a top QB in 2021 is the worst kind of gamble.

Bargain bin shopping for QBs is what this team has done since Dan retired. It’s resulted in a single playoff win in that span, and I was still in High School when that game happened. It’s time to stop bargain bin shopping and use the best chance we’ll have at a franchise-defining playcaller to go and get him. All of those first round picks Miami has mean squat without the QB, anyways.

Last edited:
To me it is either Burrow, Tua, or Herbert with their first pick and the only one of them I would trade up for is Burrow. If nohe of them are available at 5, draft Simmons at 5. I would rather sign Winston or Newton than waste a high draft pick on Love or any of the other QB’s in this years draft.

Last edited:
To me it is either Burrow, Tua, or Herbert with their first pick and the only one of them I would trade up for is Burrow. If not of them are available at 5, draft Simmons at 5. I would rather sign Winston or Newton than waste a high draft pick on Love or any of the other QB’s in this years draft.
Very unlikely all three are gone at five but I agree, take a stud at another position of need if that is the case.

I disagree with signing a retread though.

You guys keep referencing trading down and going for the QB in 2021, but fail to mention that teams have to be willing to trade. We could have 6 first round picks in 2021 and offer the entire lot of them for the number 1 pick and still get told no because that team wants the QB. Passing on our best chance at a franchise changing QB in hopes of *maybe* finding a way to trade into a top QB in 2021 is the worst kind of gamble.

Bargain bin shopping for QBs is what this team has done since Dan retired. It’s resulted in a single playoff win in that span, and I was still in High School when that game happened. It’s time to stop bargain bin shopping and use the best chance we’ll have at a franchise-defining playcaller to go and get him. All of those first round picks Miami has mean squat without the QB, anyways.

Except investing the #8 pick on QB and giving him 7 years, says your bargain bin theory is abit thin.

Very unlikely all three are gone at five but I agree, take a stud at another position of need if that is the case.

I disagree with signing a retread though.
I would only sign him for one year and hope they can find their future QB in the 2021 draft. I think Winston and Newton are both better than what the Dolphins have now but if the idea for the 2020 is to have another top five pick next year, Fitzpatrick is the right QB for that goal.

I would only sign him for one year and hope they can find their future QB in the 2021 draft. I think Winston and Newton are both better than what the Dolphins have now but if the idea for the 2020 is to have another top five pick next year, Fitzpatrick is the right QB for that goal.
It is arguable as to whether they are better than Fitz, but even assuming they are, I don't see either one of them taking us on some miraculous playoff run, so what's the point of a one yr deal?

...and its likely Herbert wont cost you picks to get him. If Tua and Burrow are gone by 5 and the Chargers werent one of them, I could see a team like Jax or Vegas trading up for Herbert before the Chargers get him if they arent sold on Love.
If Tua's gone at 5, I'm happy to trade down with Jacksonville or Vegas for their first pick this year and their first-rounder next year. Use our 3rd on Jalen Hurts (future backup at worst) and then have all the ammo to move up for Fields or Lawrence next year.

It is arguable as to whether they are better than Fitz, but even assuming they are, I don't see either one of them taking us on some miraculous playoff run, so what's the point of a one yr deal?

I lean on agreeing with you with one caveat: Newton’s health. If Cam Newton is Healthy, I think he is going to play angry and go on a tear. Question is, what will he tear while doing that?

If Tua's gone at 5, I'm happy to trade down with Jacksonville or Vegas for their first pick this year and their first-rounder next year. Use our 3rd on Jalen Hurts (future backup at worst) and then have all the ammo to move up for Fields or Lawrence next year.
I doubt Jax gives two firsts to move up 4 spots but if they did, I would have to consider it whether Tua's there, or not.

Not saying I definitely do it, but I think about it.

It's a fascinating situation because I'm hearing more and more "reports" that NFL evaluators have Herbert a lot higher (and yes, often higher than Tua) than the draft nicks and media would have him.
Actually I've been hearing just the opposite of that. Colin Cowherd said today that the more he talks to NFL types the more he is hearing that they are not as high on Herbert as Colin is.

I lean on agreeing with you with one caveat: Newton’s health. If Cam Newton is Healthy, I think he is going to play angry and go on a tear. Question is, what will he tear while doing that?
I really don't think either one are the type of QB Flo is looking for.

I believe he wants a guy who works within the framework of the system.

I don't think he's a fan off ad lib, off script hero ball.

I really don't think either one are the type of QB Flo is looking for.

I believe he wants a guy who works within the framework of the system.

I don't think he's a fan off ad lib, off script hero ball.

Alas, if it weren’t for Corona Virus, my money would be on the Charges signing Newton before the draft, and then there would be no threat of anyone trading in front of us, or the threat would be so minuscule, our front office wouldn’t have to consider anything foolish. But, I tend to agree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom