Kudos To The Front Office For These Moves | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kudos To The Front Office For These Moves

Gore has more carries than Drake. If you have all pro talent I would think you would be the work horse but I don't think Gase sees Drake's ceiling that high.

I read that Gase believes Gore needs carries to get into a rhythm and be his most effective.

Drake can come in and do his thing on call.

That's at least part of the reason for Gore getting the ball as often as he has.

As he proceeds into his career, it may turn out that getting Drake into a groove is beneficial as well, and he could become that bell cow back.

We all know that Gase does not like to rely on one workhouse back, he prefers to spread it around.

I have no doubt Drake has the ability to dominate if he carried 18 to 23 times a game and was target 8 to 12 times a game in the passing attack. None at all. Just not Gase's philosophy.

It's the first round picks that have been our nemesis. You can't miss out 50% of the time on those.
I agree, but my point was more so at comparing us to every other team.

Where are all these other teams that have been having so much more success in the draft? cuz from what I've seen and followed over the years, not too many teams have drafted CONSISTENTLY well.

No but there are FOs that put better systems together like NE, Pitt, GB etc where everyone from owner to HC are on same page and they have a plan - and draft / acquire players to fit their plan. This last off-season is first time I have felt like this is what we are doing whether I agreed w all the moves or not.
really?

if the whole point is to say we aren't there with the 3-4 best run teams in the league than I agree. my whole point is that the Dolphins are no different than most of the league when it comes to this. yet, many on here would make it seem like the Dolphins are alone in it.

I read that Gase believes Gore needs carries to get into a rhythm and be his most effective.

Drake can come in and do his thing on call.

That's at least part of the reason for Gore getting the ball as often as he has.

As he proceeds into his career, it may turn out that getting Drake into a groove is beneficial as well, and he could become that bell cow back.

We all know that Gase does not like to rely on one workhouse back, he prefers to spread it around.

I have no doubt Drake has the ability to dominate if he carried 18 to 23 times a game and was target 8 to 12 times a game in the passing attack. None at all. Just not Gase's philosophy.
No, I think you are overrating Drake.

really?

if the whole point is to say we aren't there with the 3-4 best run teams in the league than I agree. my whole point is that the Dolphins are no different than most of the league when it comes to this. yet, many on here would make it seem like the Dolphins are alone in it.

There are many factoids thrown around as if no team does (whatever) except Miami.
I don't have the time to follow day one picks for 10 years and see how many became 'stars,' but I'm certain most teams have a lot of the 'average or below' picks. Nonetheless, the draft since Gase has been much better (not difficult). Getting solid starters is the baseline. Above that is gravy.

They stole Vincent Taylor for sure. I had him as a top 50 player in the 2017 draft class.

I'm curious since you spend so much time doing the draft stuff and I assume you have some "inside" knowledge on how teams scout and ultimately put together their draft boards.

1) How can some teams be so good at it and others seemly so bad?
2) How can some teams seem to develop their drafted talent so well and others so badly?

Why did he last so long? I remember the consensus was that it wasn't a good year for DTs.

If I had to guess? They held the conference against him, and without looking he may have had a lackluster combine. I dont have the numbers but I remember when we drafted him a lot of people said that he would find a place in the league due to special teams play but they didnt think he'd be more than a ton stuffer

I'm curious since you spend so much time doing the draft stuff and I assume you have some "inside" knowledge on how teams scout and ultimately put together their draft boards.

1) How can some teams be so good at it and others seemly so bad?
2) How can some teams seem to develop their drafted talent so well and others so badly?

I wouldn't say I have any inside knowledge of how NFL teams scout or put together draft boards - they all have different ways of doing it. Just like I have my own way of trying to determine if a guy is a good football player or not. If he's not, why not.....and if he is, how good can he become?

I think in order to be a successful front office in the NFL when it comes to evaluating, drafting, and developing talent, you have to get the easy ones right. The draft is hard. Therefore you have to get the easy ones right when they come along. Miami hasn't always done that. They tend to get the easy ones wrong. Furthermore, you must have a model that works in terms of how to build and maintain a solid roster. Understanding what positions to value over other positions, and how much. Again, Miami hasn't always done that correctly.

Lastly, I think you need to have an incredible understanding between front office and coaching staff when it comes to the type of football players you want. There can be no ambiguity here. Scouts live out of suitcases nearly year round. They're on the road to campuses, attending practices, games, etc. The scout may like a particular player, but he may not be a fit in terms of system for the coach. The scout has to wave goodbye to him. Knowing that in the big picture, the team he's working for is making a mistake. But it's not his call. That's why you don't draft for "system fit". You draft the best talent. That system or that coach may not even be here in 2 years. Miami hasn't always done this.

This is why I believe there needs to be more transparency in NFL front offices when it comes to who signed off on what and who wanted who. That way the fanbase knows who to hold accountable. It does no good if only the owner knows. If I were a General Manager or front office executive making decisions, I'd make damn sure everyone in the organization and outside of it knew very specifically which personnel decisions I was in line with and which one's I wasn't.

Let the chips fall where they may.

This new regime is much better at drafting than Ireland. I think we saw an immediate improvement the moment Ireland left and Hickey stepped in, and that has continued with Tannenbaum and Grier.

Once the FO knocks the pig out of the park with 2 new STARTERS on the OL in one draft (say R2 R4 whatever) and we play at least .750 ball in R1 (unlike the losers we have @ #11 and #90) I'm not ready to suddenly exalt them. Beyond that -- gotta give Gase credit for some dudes -- most notably Wilson. Whoever is responsible for O'Leary and (at least for now) Swanson = great job. Also Quinn certainly looks like a fab move, an the DTs are stellar picks considering where they were had, and gotta include Grant.

Bottom line -- like others have said -- we need to sharpen the razor in R1 and even R2. Considering the fact these dudes find significant talent beyond 100 -- I'd be inclined to look to trade down and maybe even down again (ala JJ) if there's no dude on the board they "can't miss."

Also, I think some teams just lack good coaching. It's not easy to develop guys who don't want to develop. All they want is the paycheck.

Some teams are also a lot better at developing prospects that are a little more raw, or don't have a natural position. Miami isn't very good at developing players that aren't already very solid in the basics. I don't understand why they keep drafting them. Miami does better with players that have been developed in college and are ready to play professional football.

I wouldn't say I have any inside knowledge of how NFL teams scout or put together draft boards - they all have different ways of doing it. Just like I have my own way of trying to determine if a guy is a good football player or not. If he's not, why not.....and if he is, how good can he become?

I think in order to be a successful front office in the NFL when it comes to evaluating, drafting, and developing talent, you have to get the easy ones right. The draft is hard. Therefore you have to get the easy ones right when they come along. Miami hasn't always done that. They tend to get the easy ones wrong. Furthermore, you must have a model that works in terms of how to build and maintain a solid roster. Understanding what positions to value over other positions, and how much. Again, Miami hasn't always done that correctly.

Lastly, I think you need to have an incredible understanding between front office and coaching staff when it comes to the type of football players you want. There can be no ambiguity here. Scouts live out of suitcases nearly year round. They're on the road to campuses, attending practices, games, etc. The scout may like a particular player, but he may not be a fit in terms of system for the coach. The scout has to wave goodbye to him. Knowing that in the big picture, the team he's working for is making a mistake. But it's not his call. That's why you don't draft for "system fit". You draft the best talent. That system or that coach may not even be here in 2 years. Miami hasn't always done this.

This is why I believe there needs to be more transparency in NFL front offices when it comes to who signed off on what and who wanted who. That way the fanbase knows who to hold accountable. It does no good if only the owner knows. If I were a General Manager or front office executive making decisions, I'd make damn sure everyone in the organization and outside of it knew very specifically which personnel decisions I was in line with and which one's I wasn't.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Excellent post IMO.

Most critical is -- yes! Getting the "easy ones" right!

If the collective brain isn't SOLD on one particular dude (based on needs and immediate impact) then don't be afraid to trade down and build value. I mean if your into a segment of the draft where you have 20-30 prospects in a pack -- why not pull a JJ and trade down, maybe even 2 times. Of course that takes a partner and also a FO confident to play the numbers to their advantage...

While I agree with us hitting on rounds 1 and 2 more often, at the very least we did get the obvious ones in Tunsil and Fitzpatick right... but those truly were gifts... as I thought Reuben Foster was.

Back
Top Bottom