Kudos To The Front Office For These Moves | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kudos To The Front Office For These Moves

Also, I think some teams just lack good coaching. It's not easy to develop guys who don't want to develop. All they want is the paycheck.

Some teams are also a lot better at developing prospects that are a little more raw, or don't have a natural position. Miami isn't very good at developing players that aren't already very solid in the basics. I don't understand why they keep drafting them. Miami does better with players that have been developed in college and are ready to play professional football.

IMO that's a sure sign of a weak coaching staff. I think maybe we're getting better in that area. Also with the way contacts are nowadays you don't get a lot of time to develop your 2nd string. Obviously practice rosters need to be at least doubled to help ensure a better, more sustainable product on the field. But hey -- billionaires tend to be greedy!

really?

if the whole point is to say we aren't there with the 3-4 best run teams in the league than I agree. my whole point is that the Dolphins are no different than most of the league when it comes to this. yet, many on here would make it seem like the Dolphins are alone in it.
I’m agreeing with you. Everyone misses on picks. Orgs that are well run and have a system can overcome the bad picks, injuries and holdouts etc because their systems are stronger than any individuals. And yeah, they likely have great QBs too. I’m saying that there are a few teams (I forgot Balt) that have such systems in place and that under Gase - whether I have agreed w every move or not - it’s the first time I feel like the franchise is executing on a plan to build something sustainable that goes beyond the individual players that are here. Remember how Wanny’s team fell apart when Ricky said “enough”? We are trying to do something here IMO that transcends individual talent - like the best run clubs do. Bringing it back, I was trying to say that when a well run club whiffs on a top pick you barely notice because it doesn’t affect them the way it has historically w lesser run teams. We are finally getting there. Charles Harris sucks? Ok, no problem. Devante Parker can’t stay on the field? Ok, no problem. Tankersley stinks? Eh, still a problem cause McCain got hurt but hopefully you see what I’m trying to say. A good system allows for other guys to step up.

It's the first round picks that have been our nemesis. You can't miss out 50% of the time on those.

Guess we should start trading away those first round picks for additional mid-later round picks.:shrug:....I joke...maybe? lol

No doubt we are drafting better than in the past.

If I wished to be critical I'd bring up the following: On defense we seem to pick "blue collar lunch pail guys" for the most part. On offense I feel we are trying to pick "niche type home run hitters". Give me some Richmond Webb, Keith Sims, Marshawn Lynch, and Larry Fitzgerald types. Give me some tough guys to go with our razzle dazzle smurfs.

I wouldn't say I have any inside knowledge of how NFL teams scout or put together draft boards - they all have different ways of doing it. Just like I have my own way of trying to determine if a guy is a good football player or not. If he's not, why not.....and if he is, how good can he become?

I think in order to be a successful front office in the NFL when it comes to evaluating, drafting, and developing talent, you have to get the easy ones right. The draft is hard. Therefore you have to get the easy ones right when they come along. Miami hasn't always done that. They tend to get the easy ones wrong. Furthermore, you must have a model that works in terms of how to build and maintain a solid roster. Understanding what positions to value over other positions, and how much. Again, Miami hasn't always done that correctly.

Lastly, I think you need to have an incredible understanding between front office and coaching staff when it comes to the type of football players you want. There can be no ambiguity here. Scouts live out of suitcases nearly year round. They're on the road to campuses, attending practices, games, etc. The scout may like a particular player, but he may not be a fit in terms of system for the coach. The scout has to wave goodbye to him. Knowing that in the big picture, the team he's working for is making a mistake. But it's not his call. That's why you don't draft for "system fit". You draft the best talent. That system or that coach may not even be here in 2 years. Miami hasn't always done this.

This is why I believe there needs to be more transparency in NFL front offices when it comes to who signed off on what and who wanted who. That way the fanbase knows who to hold accountable. It does no good if only the owner knows. If I were a General Manager or front office executive making decisions, I'd make damn sure everyone in the organization and outside of it knew very specifically which personnel decisions I was in line with and which one's I wasn't.

Let the chips fall where they may.
I would love to open a scouting school for football, only the best with the best records graduate and get nfl jobs..

I’m agreeing with you. Everyone misses on picks. Orgs that are well run and have a system can overcome the bad picks, injuries and holdouts etc because their systems are stronger than any individuals. And yeah, they likely have great QBs too. I’m saying that there are a few teams (I forgot Balt) that have such systems in place and that under Gase - whether I have agreed w every move or not - it’s the first time I feel like the franchise is executing on a plan to build something sustainable that goes beyond the individual players that are here. Remember how Wanny’s team fell apart when Ricky said “enough”? We are trying to do something here IMO that transcends individual talent - like the best run clubs do. Bringing it back, I was trying to say that when a well run club whiffs on a top pick you barely notice because it doesn’t affect them the way it has historically w lesser run teams. We are finally getting there. Charles Harris sucks? Ok, no problem. Devante Parker can’t stay on the field? Ok, no problem. Tankersley stinks? Eh, still a problem cause McCain got hurt but hopefully you see what I’m trying to say. A good system allows for other guys to step up.

Good point. I often think with NE they don't necessarily have a lot of elite talent, but they also do a better job on depth than most teams do and are able to overcome injuries better. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have Tom Brady either.

Miami seems to be copying NE's plan in a lot of ways. This is good and bad. I think they've watched how the Patriots have had success with mid to lower round offensive lineman and think they can get away with that as well. Although, recently NE has picked offensive lineman higher. Gase is using a lot of the same passing schemes at the Pats use as well, which seems to be working better with speedy players like Wilson, Stills and Grant.

Anyway, I do agree that Miami seems to be moving in the right direction. The fact that they are winning with injuries and without a lot of talent does say something about the job that Adam Gase and the front office are doing.

I wouldn't say I have any inside knowledge of how NFL teams scout or put together draft boards - they all have different ways of doing it. Just like I have my own way of trying to determine if a guy is a good football player or not. If he's not, why not.....and if he is, how good can he become?

I think in order to be a successful front office in the NFL when it comes to evaluating, drafting, and developing talent, you have to get the easy ones right. The draft is hard. Therefore you have to get the easy ones right when they come along. Miami hasn't always done that. They tend to get the easy ones wrong. Furthermore, you must have a model that works in terms of how to build and maintain a solid roster. Understanding what positions to value over other positions, and how much. Again, Miami hasn't always done that correctly.

Lastly, I think you need to have an incredible understanding between front office and coaching staff when it comes to the type of football players you want. There can be no ambiguity here. Scouts live out of suitcases nearly year round. They're on the road to campuses, attending practices, games, etc. The scout may like a particular player, but he may not be a fit in terms of system for the coach. The scout has to wave goodbye to him. Knowing that in the big picture, the team he's working for is making a mistake. But it's not his call. That's why you don't draft for "system fit". You draft the best talent. That system or that coach may not even be here in 2 years. Miami hasn't always done this.

This is why I believe there needs to be more transparency in NFL front offices when it comes to who signed off on what and who wanted who. That way the fanbase knows who to hold accountable. It does no good if only the owner knows. If I were a General Manager or front office executive making decisions, I'd make damn sure everyone in the organization and outside of it knew very specifically which personnel decisions I was in line with and which one's I wasn't.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Your last point is one I've thought about quite a bit. In fact, with Miami's lack of success in the draft for so many years I've questioned whether the entire scouting department should be fired. Just looking at some of the obvious misses makes you sick to the stomach. The top five quarterbacks in the NFL, Miami could have had Brady, Rogers or Brees. At least in the case of Brady every team missed six times there, but these are the types of mistakes that keep a team out of the postseason.

Anyway, I'd love to know what system is in place for grading scouts. How are they held accountable etc. I do feel like the team is finally getting it together in terms of the players they want, and with the front office and coaching staffs working more in unison.

While I agree with us hitting on rounds 1 and 2 more often, at the very least we did get the obvious ones in Tunsil and Fitzpatick right... but those truly were gifts... as I thought Reuben Foster was.
I admit, I wanted Foster. But, I can understand why the team didn't draft him. Jury still out, but I do think he can be a fantastic player.

No doubt we are drafting better than in the past.

If I wished to be critical I'd bring up the following: On defense we seem to pick "blue collar lunch pail guys" for the most part. On offense I feel we are trying to pick "niche type home run hitters". Give me some Richmond Webb, Keith Sims, Marshawn Lynch, and Larry Fitzgerald types. Give me some tough guys to go with our razzle dazzle smurfs.
That is my one big question with Adam Gase. He seems to like finesse over physical. I may be wrong as its still early in his tenure, but man I've always loved those physical teams and I still think that is important in winning in the NFL.

A lot has been written about Miami's early round draft failures. This is the opposite kind of post. Here are some moves that should be applauded, the hits that have kept the Dolphins competitive.

Moving up in the draft to get X Howard. At the time, this was fiercely debated on this site as Howard was pretty raw coming out. But, he's as close to a shutdown corner as there is in today's NFL and perhaps the best player on Miami's defense.

Signing Albert Wilson. It's scary to think where Miami might be, record-wise, without him. His 75-yard touchdown against Chicago was the biggest play in that game and his touchdown pass to Jakeem Grant on a trick play helped the Dolphins beat the Raiders. He's a big play maker and someone that apparently was on Adam Gase's radar. Credit Gase there.

Drafting Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor back-to-back in rounds five and six. That has to qualify as an eye for talent.

Drafting Grant in round six. Finally Miami is using him. Grant, like Wilson is a big play waiting to happen.

Signing Frank Gore. Gore looks like he could play forever and he brings leadership and professionalism to the team.

Finding Jesse Davis on the scrap heap.

The trade that brought Kiko Alonso and led to drafting Laremy Tunsil. Alonso had a bad season in 2017, but he is playing at an all-pro level this year and Tunsil is finally emerging as at least a solid left tackle.

I'm not including this years' draft picks yet, but Minkah Fitzpatrick and Jerome Baker have played very well. It seems like only a matter of time for Mike Gesicki. He is just too talented not to succeed.

So true, great post!

With or without a franchise QB you have to hit on your 1's and 2's . 4 years and 8 large players for free.

It's hard to trust an organization that takes a Charles Harris. You didn't have to be Mel Kiper to know that pick sucked.

Come on man, I like Drake as much as the next guy, but he isn’t an All-Pro level RB.

Still having comprehension issues I see, that’s NOT what he said. Unreal, is this all you do is twist peoples words around?

Still having comprehension issues I see, that’s NOT what he said. Unreal, is this all you do is twist peoples words around?

I’ve gotta say man, I appreciate the crush you have on me and I’m flattered, but I’ve got a lady friend. Your attention is better spent elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom