Kyle Pitts is the key | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kyle Pitts is the key

Few points:

• Why does MG go missing in a lot of games ?
  • Who was the QB for much of that production ? How's his production with our starting QB ?
  • How much are you going to pay him as he enters his contract year next year.
Gesicki's had a nice season in 2019, a little down in 20 but certainly some flashes. But you've got to ask yourself, is he ever going to develop that chemistry with Tua that will make him anymore than a player that occasionally puts a highlight reel catch on tape, do you really want to invest in him ? I'm not convinced, he has to do it more consistently for me, maybe you ask him to prove it next year.

Alot of truth here.

I like the TE room as a whole going into 2021. As I believe you can solidify the offense as a whole with a few WRs and a additional lineman in the first 4 picks.

he got hurt with brady otherwise I think he would have put up some big numbers this year. Amazing what a high level competent qb can do to elevate things
This is why I pointed out that hyped TE prospects do not typically pan out because of scheme and QB preference/skill. Another poster mentioned how Njoku and Howard are flops but Howard played with Jameis entering the league. Jameis is not known to utilize his TE's.

I hope Pitts doesn't meet the same fate as JerMichael Finley.

im probably struggling more with that Hill stuff and waddle than the pitts and kelce part

some guys are just plain rare and I think both those guys qualify.

pitts win on the boundary inside quickly vs surtain was impressive and shows how twitchy and gifted that kid is and that change of speeds in his routes will travel

I think waddle is likely headed for a lot of returns and slot/backfield motion/ gimmick use in his future and I think I can get that in this class in round 3 even. You can see a lot of that usage on his college tape even. He’s twitchy no doubt about that though. I just don’t see him being a plan a boundary

maybe I just have a hard time visioning the scheme in Miami that would feature it on other things

all that said there at 18 it would be a hard player to pass on

I’m definitely looking for twitch I just don’t want to pay any top 20 or even top 50 pick for gimmick

Agree that I'd project Pitts closer to Kelce than Waddle to Hill, but I think Waddle can do a lot of the same things just not quite like Hill. The biggest difference is how Hill separates at all levels. You can't cover him. He's too skilled, quick, and fast. Waddle, though, gives you a terrifying deep threat, with better ball skills than Hill fwiw, and someone who will actually make it worth your time to manufacture touches for him. He can get open pretty easy too - just not like Hill (or Smith for that matter).

Agree that I'd project Pitts closer to Kelce than Waddle to Hill, but I think Waddle can do a lot of the same things just not quite like Hill. The biggest difference is how Hill separates at all levels. You can't cover him. He's too skilled, quick, and fast. Waddle, though, gives you a terrifying deep threat, with better ball skills than Hill fwiw, and someone who will actually make it worth your time to manufacture touches for him. He can get open pretty easy too - just not like Hill (or Smith for that matter).

can this eskridge kid at tbe senior bowl give me that for say pick 50 though?

just in terms of more value for my draft pick buck.

I agree on waddle having better ball skills than hill

To go further with the ball skills things that’s another thing that makes tyreek hill so damn rare. He doesn’t even have elite level ball skills despite all the production

so chasing that I mean it’s just so hard

separates at all levels yep that’s the ticket

Last edited:
that dude was a stud in his prime
He was. He actually reminds the most of Pitts in the YAC and run through contact and lowering their pads. Problem is when you're 6-6 and lower your pads you inevitably run into a lot of head and neck blows.

manufacturing touches is when I start getting nervous about usage

being a primary is one thing but manufacturing teeters on that word I hate gimmick with high pick investment

manufacturing touches is when I start getting nervous about usage

being a primary is one thing but manufacturing teeters on that word I hate gimmick with high pick investment

I don't think Waddle succeeded in that role because gimmicks were needed to feed him the ball I think he developed into that role because gimmicks were needed to aid his QB 'style'.

Notice I didn't use the word 'play' and that is because both Tua and Jones excelled at their role even if they were limited in other departments also Tua did have a long stretch from the National Ch win until right before the string of injuries he did look the part physically, hopefully he will get back there and develop beyond that.

Waddle has good enough ball skills to catch it anywhere on the field and on the getting open part, he'll get open on any and every vertical route against any D. He'll burn any deep safety within 40 yrds. Problem is it's hard to be consistently accurate for distances over 40 yrds.

Last edited:
I’m a die hard gators fan, I watched every rep of Kyle Pitts Career. He’s the best College TE I have ever seen. I still don’t think he’s the right fit for Miami. He’s not a good blocker (he’s gotten better but he’s not good), if we try and make him an in-line TE it will be very much like gesicki early in his career. Ideally he plays the Mike Gesicki role which already we have a good player there. Pitts is an upgrade but that’s not a position we really NEED an upgrade at. Also TEs historically take multiple years to develop, when is the last time a rookie Te came in and blew up right away? It literally never happens TEs take 2-3 years to adjust even the elite ones like Kelce and Kittle. We need receivers who can come in and make an impact and create separate on right away. Not another contested catch making monster. As much as it pains me to say it Pitts isn’t for us

I don't think Waddle succeeded in that role because gimmicks were needed to feed him the ball I think he developed into that role because gimmicks were needed to aid his QB 'style'.

Notice I didn't use the word 'play' and that is because both Tua and Jones excelled at their role.

hmm not sure I understand this. You telling me that they asked him to do those things cause they needed someone to fit that role not cause it was probably the best fit for his game?

even this year you could see them trending more and more towards slot and backfield etc type motion based usage before he got hurt. Yes there was still some iso boundary win there but it still had the feel of this is my slot and backfield across the formation jet sweep etc guy.

so I can see teams seeing that and saying this is what he’s gonna do for me at the pro level given all the concepts that have come from the college game to the pro one.

I do think he showed more versatility this year I just don’t know that he’s gonna be used in a role that features the boundary for example etc as a plan a

I think he can consistently get open deep and actually catch it unlike Jakeem in addition to the short stuff. He's still obviously limited in the intermediate stuff in terms that you'd have to lob it to make it over the LBs but within his catch radius lol!

I know that if I had him w say a stronger armed QB and/or wo Smith on the same roster I would have thrown it deep to him a lot more.

Last edited:
TE is probably the most improved unit the dolphins had last season, I doubt they´ll add another TE , Gesicky is a monster receiver, Smythe blocks pretty well and Adam Shaheen just got a contract extension because he is playing pretty solid. I just don´t see a need at TE.

Back
Top Bottom