Kyler Murray: The Answer To Miami's Greatest Deficiencies | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kyler Murray: The Answer To Miami's Greatest Deficiencies

So baseball was actually my first sport. It's what I played primarily, and what I always followed and coached. I no longer work in baseball, but still carry relationships w/ those invested to it. (Primarily Sinclair community college and Ohio state university if you are familiar w/ Ohio at all). I haven't worked/coached in baseball for 5-6 years now, when I was w/ the Ron Golden academy here in Columbus Ohio.

So no I no longer work in that field or coach anymore. But my knowledge and experience in athletic training lies in baseball. Was a player myself and continued training after. I love the evaluation process but in the last few years I've pretty much given my time/energy to football. I still follow baseball, but not as direct as I used to. I never looked into Murray till about a month ago. Curious what your role is, always nice to have a conversation of that sort and if you are familiar w/ my region and travel/legion ball at all as well

Very cool. I work as a private hitting consultant for many guys. Guys from MLB to MiLB to college. Trust me. What we strive for is to have our swings look like Murray. We try to match that swing. Not his specifically, but other great hitters like him. His numbers didn’t light up the world in college. But he’s in the exteme short list for me of guys that are drafted high and you wouldn’t have to touch his swing. If he focused on baseball, he’d be a star. Pretty quickly. He needs reps. But he needs 0 mechanical change offensively unlike many high picks drafted based on athleticism.

You coach football now? Seems like a tough cross over.

Reactions: A1.
Personally I like his projection to the NFL. But there's no hiding it's a risk at his size. He's not just small, he's the smallest guy on the field. But in this era w/ the rules and whatnot, if he's smart he will be able to help protect himself from a lot of contact

Now if he was like tua and seemingly fighting off injuries, I'd be more concerned already

I’m a little concerned about tuas durability too. Separate from the pre snap read and no post snap verification at times.

I don’t see him take much contact but when he does he seems to be dinged up a lot.

But man that ball placement is special stuff. He fits balls between corners and safeties 40 plus yards downfield basically on a pillow.

I’ve seen him miss a few things underneath behind but looks easily fixable. His downfield ball placement has to be the best in college football. And I like that he thinks long to short mentally as a qb. Check down my ass! That team basically lives ahead of the sticks so consider that.

But it appears that’s his mentality more than level of competition or taking what’s given. Get vertical!

Last edited:
Very cool. I work as a private hitting consultant for many guys. Guys from MLB to MiLB to college. Trust me. What we strive for is to have our swings look like Murray. We try to match that swing. Not his specifically, but other great hitters like him. His numbers didn’t light up the world in college. But he’s in the exteme short list for me of guys that are drafted high and you wouldn’t have to touch his swing. If he focused on baseball, he’d be a star. Pretty quickly. He needs reps. But he needs 0 mechanical change offensively unlike many high picks drafted based on athleticism.

You coach football now? Seems like a tough cross over.

That's awesome, kudos to you brother. I trust you on the swing. But I'm sure you talk about this every day - repetition, repetition, repetition. Someone as talented as kyler I certainly don't doubt his MLB potential. I also haven't paid too much attention to this launch angle phenomenon since it became a thing. Launch angle was always important, but like you know it just recently became so analytical. I was a pitcher/pitching coach myself

I do not coach football, but I'd love to. Football was always second fiddle to me, and it wasn't till probly 4-5 years ago I really took the turn to studying film and learning position groups i never had experience w/. I love evaluating talent, it's just what interests me nowadays compared to baseball.

My favorite part about the NFL is actually the business side of it though. Id love to work in a FO over being a coach. And football is the only sport I can really say that about.

Last 3 generations of my family have worked for the Ohio state university so college football has always been in my roots, but I prefer the professional side of the NFL (roster/cap management, FA, draft, trades) much more than I enjoy following recruits for college ball. The current playoff structure has really turned me off as well

I’m a little concerned about tuas durability too. Separate from the pre snap read and no post snap verification at times.

I don’t see him take much contact but when he does he seems to be dinged up a lot.

But man that ball placement is special stuff. He fits balls between corners and safeties 40 plus yards downfield basically on a pillow.

I’ve seen him miss a few things underneath behind but looks easily fixable. His downfield ball placement has to be the best in college football. And I like that he thinks long to short mentally as a qb. Check down my ***! That team basically lives ahead of the sticks so consider that.

But it appears that’s his mentality more than level of competition or taking what’s given. Get vertical!

Before I read that 3rd paragraph I was actually going to reference you from a point you made a couple days ago, and that was how exceptional Tua's ball placement is

And I agree it's great how he thinks vertical. Against Clemson (I think his 2nd pick?) when he threw that ball down the sideline where the cover 3 look fooled him and that corner stayed w/ the deep route, I don't have a problem w/ that decision at all really. That's just growing pain stuff from a 20 year old w/ limited repetition. You gotta assume he will grow past that and learn from it.

Some minor red flags in his last few games though for sure. But if he can polish them up I you've got something special bc just like you said that's all placement is best in the country. It jumps off the damn screen

Yeah probably is just growing pains. Wouldn’t phase me in terms of draft value.

Love the mentality love the ball placement.

I’m in agreement with everyone else who has concerns about Murray’s size. Great athlete, but I’d hate to see them reach for him.

This kid makes Russell Wilson look big.

our coach will be from the pats system so forget about getting any
Read he was closer to 5’8/5’9”. Shorter with a smaller build than Wilson.

we are not getting any 5 foot 8 inch running qb.

His downfield ball placement has to be the best in college football. And I like that he thinks long to short mentally as a qb. Check down my ***! That team basically lives ahead of the sticks so consider that.

Never more evident than the championship game against Georgia last year. Second and very long in overtime, down by 3. Many quarterbacks would be thinking get half of it so we're back in manageable field goal range. Tua says screw that I'll end the game right here.

Anyway, no denying Murray is a tiny player. I'll be surprised if he actually measures at basically 5-10, per that Oklahoma report. Looks closer to 5-9.

But you do really want to project him to be injured? That's what I always want to know when a topic shows up. Yeah, he's small. But is he more of a favorite to get hurt than some average sized quarterback who has no idea how to sense or avoid anything? Robert Griffin was touted as some type of special athlete but it was obvious from his freshman season at Baylor that he had no clue how to avoid defenders or protect his legs. Murray is a wiggle worm who creates his own pocket and knows how to hit the turf in a little ball when a bigun threatens.

I'd worry more about Dwayne Haskins in terms of health. He is not an athlete at all and his running instincts are horrendous in terms of when to begin his slide.

the dude can flat out fly and seems like such a smart player . would definitely be tempting to draft him
Where does the "flat out fly" assessment come from? I ask honestly. I haven't seen him much but was watching highlights the other day and he was run down from behind pretty easily on a couple of runs. Seems more quick than fast.

But you do really want to project him to be injured? That's what I always want to know when a topic shows up. Yeah, he's small. But is he more of a favorite to get hurt than some average sized quarterback who has no idea how to sense or avoid anything?

It's more of a question whether he can handle it without freaking out. Whether he can remain calm and collected down to down, game after game. Whether he can handle increased passing load, let's say 500-600 attempts in a season, successfully, down after down, game after game.
Will it wear him down quickly, the physical demand of the position?
On the other side of the spectrum is let's say Josh Allen, who can't play, but nothing affects him, he will get up and do his garbage quarterbacking with a smile full of energy, down after down.

Back
Top Bottom