Landry Trade Rumor Talk | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Landry Trade Rumor Talk

This is why I wait and not trade him right now. You try to keep him - if you can't, you take the compensation.

I'm interested in keeping Landry. It's hard to find good players. Not all good players mesh well with your team, city, coaches and systems, despite how good they may look on paper. When you have a player who plays well for you, you keep him. Only in those rare occasions when you can get a great player, or you have no other choice, do you let them go. So me, I'm interested in re-signing Landry. Hopefully he and his agent don't think he should be getting crazy money like an outside #1 WR Julio Jones type.

But, if we were going to trade Landry, I would have thought that it would have been this year before the draft. He would have had time left and we would have been able to draft a replacement, or at least find one in Free Agency. Yes, I know that whomever we find would not be as good as Landry this year. But, we didn't, so unless we suddenly figured out that he will be too expensive to sign, it makes no sense to float him as trade bait now when teams have their key roster spots (and salary cap) mostly settled.

At this point we keep negotiating until we sign him, or we anticipate him leaving and us getting a compensatory 4th or 3rd, probably/hopefully a 3rd. Not ideal. But, it may be the best alternative we have if we cannot sign him. Now, let's try to get him signed.

If true teams can just go after him once the season is done. No need to give up anything.

True, but only to an extent. If the Dolphins were to trade him it would assuredly be to a team that had already worked out a re-sign deal for him, otherwise they wouldn't give up even the 3rd we'd get as a compensatory pick. So, that team would have him and he'd be off the market again.

Tampering is rampant. I'm sure most teams would set up a deal for when he hits free agency and not make a trade, but they'd run the risk of a bidding war driving up his contract demands.

I'm no expert like many guys here. ( Are there any chicks on this forum BTW?)
I can't see this trade. I just cannot fathom, probably our most dynamic receiver/player/leader getting traded.
I wonder how much loyalty Landry has for the Dolphins. This is my question.
I know I have passed up better paying jobs because I liked where I was working better. Is it always about money? I guess so. Especially in this business.

5 years 60M. Do it.
I can't see this trade. I just cannot fathom, probably our most dynamic receiver/player/leader getting traded.
I know I have passed up better paying jobs because I liked where I was working better. Is it always about money? I guess so. Especially in this business.

It mostly is about money, because NFL teams are ruthless when it comes to releasing underperforming players.

I can't see Miami paying $15M for him, but 10M-12M is certainly doable. Probably something similar to the Doug Baldwin contract.

Landry is a black wes welker except better. No coaching staff asked him to go above and beyond to make plays, he just does it. He literally wants to be higher regarded then his best friend Odell Beckham. Pay him or he'll make you pay.

It's always hard to gauge loyalty, but I think this dude wants to be in Miami for his career. PAY HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jarvis Landry isn't a tier 1 player. Look at the production from tier 1 WRs. There is no comparison.

You mean 3 first downs a game and 1 td every 4 games
isn't a top tier wide receiver?

Someone else mentioned how Landry can turn a short
reception into a 60 yard gain...Well, he did it last season
to the tune of .021% of his total receptions...

Off topic but had to respond. Not a "chick", but I am a female. There are not many of us (not sure if there are any other), but i appreciate someone finally not assuming we are all men on this board. I have been a die-hard Dolphins fan since I was 7 (30 years), and know more about football than most of the men I know.

Off topic but had to respond. Not a "chick", but I am a female. There are not many of us (not sure if there are any other), but i appreciate someone finally not assuming we are all men on this board. I have been a die-hard Dolphins fan since I was 7 (30 years), and know more about football than most of the men I know.

You sound like my moms, she a savage when it comes to the pigskin. Not many women like that, but she Greek lol.

If Lombardi's continued insistence is true (and "if" is the operative conditional considering his own spotty reporting background and the possibility of trying to save face for credibility-sake), looking beyond the surface layer, this could well be more about the Gase vs Tannenbaum dynamic.

For Gase to go public insisting there will be no trade takes a bunch of confidence at the risk of credibility; the kind of "confidence" bred from a relationship with Ross. A possible scenario for me is Tannenbaum and Grier trying to peddle Landry despite Gase's sentiments resulting in Gase going public, essentially saying "I'm running the roster of this team, not the front office!" The other possibility is that Gase told Ross and the front office: "knock yourselves out and see if you can get us a top 10 pick for Jarvis," knowing full-well that this won't happen.

Bottom-line: You've got one of the hottest HCs in the league, very much in demand for the last 2 seasons declaring that he knows "better" than what's really a rag-tag front office (Tannenbaum being salvaged from the league's trash bin and Grier, a career-guy, only getting a few token GM interviews as a convenient Rooney Rule prop).

IMO, if this is a behind-the-scenes Power Play, Ross rides with the hot HC, who's already delivered results that he "found" through his "secret agent." If true, we probably won't ever really know like we did with Failbin/Dawn and Ireland, but it effectively will quietly result in Gase's decisions trumping a Front Office who has nowhere else to go at the levels they look to be at.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom