List of QB "possibilieties"/Trade bait for them | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

List of QB "possibilieties"/Trade bait for them

A&MPhin84 said:
McNair or Kitna would be nice (though neither may be let go...especially Kitna, Cincy is gonna make a huge push to keep him in light of the devastating injury to Palmer IMO) as a 2 yr or so solution while a draft pick such as Cutler or Croyle learns the game from the sidelines. A QB depth chart of McNair/Kitna - Frerrote - Cutler would be great I think.

I like all three of those guys, but I doubt you will see all three of them at the same time. Both McNair and Kitna would come to us so they could start. If that isn't going to happen their not coming. McNair would be brought in to teach a young guy. If we get Kitna we would need cutler of McNair. They would probubly still draft a guy, but not with our top pick.

Jimmy James said:
Gus isn't accurate enough or mobile enough for Linehan's preferred offense. Kitna is more accurate than Gus is, has FOUR 3000 yard seasons compared to ONE for Gus, and Gus has played for better teams on the whole than the ones Kitna has started for.

Let's look at 2002, when both were on the same team. You'd agree that it is the best way to compare the two, wouldn't you? There is no excuse making that somebody had better personnel or coaching that way. Anyway, here is the comparison:

Gus: 51.8% completion percentage, 437 yards, 5.1 yards per attempt, 1 TD, and 5 interceptions

Jon: 62.2% completion percentage, 3178 yards, 6.7 yards per attempt, 16 TD, and 16 interceptions

By ANY measure, Jon was the FAR SUPERIOR QB in Cincinnati in 2002. He would be the far superior QB in Miami in 2006 as well.

perfectly said

dolfan348454999 said:
McNair a majority of the season is better then Gus the whole season

Oh, I agree about that.

and Steve is known as one of the iron men of the league that don't miss a game unless it is a bad injury.

Um, that's actually a point for *me*. It means he has had lots of bad injuries.

Even so we would be getting McNair to start infront of a young guy and it wouldn't be horrible if the young guy got a game of two to show what hes got.

If by "young guy" you mean a draft pick, I disagree. You bring in your draft pick as your #3 and don't let him sniff the field the first year. Hopefully, he's ready for the second. All you get with somebody who is going to miss time is a chance to see Cleo/Sage/Gus if he restructures.

Jimmy James said:
Gus isn't accurate enough or mobile enough for Linehan's preferred offense. Kitna is more accurate than Gus is, has FOUR 3000 yard seasons compared to ONE for Gus, and Gus has played for better teams on the whole than the ones Kitna has started for.

Let's look at 2002, when both were on the same team. You'd agree that it is the best way to compare the two, wouldn't you? There is no excuse making that somebody had better personnel or coaching that way. Anyway, here is the comparison:

Gus: 51.8% completion percentage, 437 yards, 5.1 yards per attempt, 1 TD, and 5 interceptions

Jon: 62.2% completion percentage, 3178 yards, 6.7 yards per attempt, 16 TD, and 16 interceptions

By ANY measure, Jon was the FAR SUPERIOR QB in Cincinnati in 2002. He would be the far superior QB in Miami in 2006 as well.

so brad johnson must be better than daunte culpepper. right?

Jimmy James said:
If by "young guy" you mean a draft pick, I disagree. You bring in your draft pick as your #3 and don't let him sniff the field the first year. Hopefully, he's ready for the second. All you get with somebody who is going to miss time is a chance to see Cleo/Sage/Gus if he restructures.

By young guy I meant a high draft pick or young free agent/trade. So I disagree, even if he is a rookie it isn't to bad to give him a game or two. You used your highest pick on him, why not see what hes got. Also guys like Harring, Schuab of McCown would be able to step in with no problem.

LightsOut said:
so brad johnson must be better than daunte culpepper. right?

I think that's damned obvious, and it isn't just from this past year. Johnson was a backup solely due to age.

Are you even trying any more? You're asking me if a 5 time 3000 yard passer with two Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl win is better than one of the most overrated QBs this side of Michael Vick. Pepper puts up impressive stats, but he doesn't do the things a QB needs to do like Brad Johnson does. He's a fantasy iron horse, but so is Aaron Brooks. Are YOU telling ME that Brooks is a good QB?

Jimmy James said:
I think that's damned obvious, and it isn't just from this past year. Johnson was a backup solely due to age.

:sidelol: ok.

LightsOut said:
i thought stats didn't mean everything? :confused:

EVERYTHING being the key term there. They do mean something, but not EVERYTHING. Especially when you pick out a few stats from many just because they help your arguement.

LightsOut said:
:sidelol: ok.

You responded before you saw my edit, so I'll post it here:

Are you even trying any more? You're asking me if a 5 time 3000 yard passer with two Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl win is better than one of the most overrated QBs this side of Michael Vick. Pepper puts up impressive stats, but he doesn't do the things a QB needs to do like Brad Johnson does. He's a fantasy iron horse, but so is Aaron Brooks. Are YOU telling ME that Brooks is a good QB?

ok;

Kitna is going to be a free agent, after the first half performance I was agreeing with the get Kitna bandwagon, but again this is a guy who has lost the starting job in both Seattle and Cincy, both places he was given a more than fair chance to win the spot. Career stats:

92 games played
79 started
2837 att.
1667 comp.
58.8%
18259 yards
108 TD's
104 Ints.
75.3 Rating

McNair will most likely be a salary cap casualty. This is a guy that has been totally beat up in 03-04, and some this year. He is also a guy that has won a starting job and kept it for 9 years, with both a superbowl appearance and a co-mvp under his belt, will turn 33 in Feb of '06, but I feel with a good line that can give him time could be productive, I remember him and Derek Mason just being unstoppable for a few years. He was most productive with a strong running game (Eddie George), and when it fell off so did Steve.
Career stats;

139 games
131 started
3871 attempts
2305 completions
59.5%
156 TD
103 ints
83.3 rating

Simms is a RFA which means the Bucs have first chance to match any offer sheet and if they choose not to match offer, they must be compensated with draft pick equivilent to, I believe draft selected, 3rd round. Simms has a great arm, throws an awesome deep ball, has good mobility, and I think under Gruden, has been forced to walk on eggshells. Gruden has the ability to intimidate young players, and I did not think Simms is the type of player that performs best under those conditions. Simms was slapped in the face after last year when he was only given two games to try to win the job after Johnson was benched, he got hurt in that second game and once was healthy he never got another shot. Greise signed a serious back loaded deal and if the Bucs want to cut Greise, it would not be "that" bad of a cap hit. Don't forget the Bucs also have Tim Rattay and Luke McNown in the wings. Rattay was not that bad last year, he took the starting job from Alex Smith and if not for 24million contract he may have played even more, before being traded after the Greise injury. I do like Simms and I feel he COULD,COULD BE another Steve Young.

Career stats;
16 games
12 starts
386 att
233 comp
60.4 %
2502 yards
11 Tds
10 int
78.1 Rating

I mean as fans we have to ask ourselves at 9-7 we over acheived, and what should our expectations be for next year? I feel anything less than a playoff spot would be disapointing. I feel all 3 above including, Frerotte, can get us into the playoffs next year, but I feel Simms, being the youngest, can grow with the team and lead us even farther in the years to come.

So I guess my wish list would be;

1. Simms
2. Frerotte w/ Jay Cutler being groomed
3. McNair
4. Kitna

:dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins:

dolfan121 said:
So I guess my wish list would be;

1. Simms
2. Frerotte w/ Jay Cutler being groomed
3. McNair
4. Kitna

:dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins:

What makes you think that Cutler would be out of the question under 3 or 4 if he is possible under 2? I would think that what you wrote would make it clear your list should be:

1) Simms
2) McNair w/ Jay Cutler being groomed
3) Kitna w/ Jay Cutler being groomed
4) Frerotte w/ Jay Cutler being groomed

I'll note that the above *is not* my list and that I don't agree with yours. I respect your right to feel differently than I do, and I think I have made my points clear enough in the thread already. I'd like to limit this to the above question.

dolfan348454999 said:
EVERYTHING being the key term there. They do mean something, but not EVERYTHING. Especially when you pick out a few stats from many just because they help your arguement.

so stats from one year mean something but stats from a entire career don't. i see.

Back
Top Bottom