List of QB "possibilieties"/Trade bait for them | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

List of QB "possibilieties"/Trade bait for them

LightsOut said:
trying what? :confused:

Trying in good faith to make a reasonable and logical argument. I can only assume you never saw Johnson or Culpepper play a game in your life.

dolfan121 said:
ok;
McNair will most likely be a salary cap casualty. This is a guy that has been totally beat up in 03-04, and some this year. He is also a guy that has won a starting job and kept it for 9 years, with both a superbowl appearance and a co-mvp under his belt, will turn 33 in Feb of '06, but I feel with a good line that can give him time could be productive, I remember him and Derek Mason just being unstoppable for a few years. He was most productive with a strong running game (Eddie George), and when it fell off so did Steve.

We souldn't be pressed to hard with the salary cap, so if that is the only problem I say go for him.

LightsOut said:
so stats from one year mean something but stats from a entire career don't. i see.

I don't think you do. He was giving stats that looked beyond just numbers and looked at the numbers that really counted. You were giving a couple of stats out of context that sounded nice.

Josh McCown

First, I would like to say I have been a Dolphins fan most of my life, but I am also an Arizona Cardinals season ticket holder (one of the few). I have watched McCown for the last two years and this is what I have seen:

Positives- very athletic, big heart, decent arm

Negatives- he is not particularly accurate, most of his throws are jump balls which are okay when you have Boldin and Fitzgerald but won't work everywhere,
he really has a bad tendency of locking on to one receiver, I don't know how many times I have seen him miss totally open receivers and throw the ball to double covered ones, he really doesn't strike me as the smartest qb on the field.

I think the Dolphins would do well to steer clear. I think he is a good kid, but I am not convinced he looks like NFL starter material.

dolfan348454999 said:
He was rushed into the spot light of national TV and the playoffs compared to Frerotte who play like that every week even while practicing with the first team.

Sorry, guys...way too many excuses !! Kitna has been around for quite a while, so the argument of "being rushed into the limelight" is weak...

if the team quit, he didn't have what it took to keep them motivated. Maybe the team quit on HIM, because they knew they didn't have a chance.

We do agree on something...no big imporvement with Kitna, if any.

So, why do we want him again ??

Jimmy James said:
What makes you think that Cutler would be out of the question under 3 or 4 if he is possible under 2? I would think that what you wrote would make it clear your list should be:

1) Simms
2) McNair w/ Jay Cutler being groomed
3) Kitna w/ Jay Cutler being groomed
4) Frerotte w/ Jay Cutler being groomed

I'll note that the above *is not* my list and that I don't agree with yours. I respect your right to feel differently than I do, and I think I have made my points clear enough in the thread already. I'd like to limit this to the above question.

I believe the above question(thread) was QB possiblities, and those were all names that were brought up in responses. The reason I have Gus at 2 w/ Cutler, is I feel he will do just as much for the team next year as McNair or Kitna, and since Gus knows the system , why bring in a another vet to groom a young guy. That would just mean two guys would have to learn a system, that to me would take away coaching time from a younger QB! And I also do not agree with MANY of your posts.

Maricopa Slim said:
First, I would like to say I have been a Dolphins fan most of my life, but I am also an Arizona Cardinals season ticket holder (one of the few). I have watched McCown for the last two years and this is what I have seen:

Positives- very athletic, big heart, decent arm

Negatives- he is not particularly accurate, most of his throws are jump balls which are okay when you have Boldin and Fitzgerald but won't work everywhere,
he really has a bad tendency of locking on to one receiver, I don't know how many times I have seen him miss totally open receivers and throw the ball to double covered ones, he really doesn't strike me as the smartest qb on the field.

I think the Dolphins would do well to steer clear. I think he is a good kid, but I am not convinced he looks like NFL starter material.

Thnx for the info. I haven't watched much of McCown. good first post.

oldfinfan said:
Sorry, guys...way too many excuses !! Kitna has been around for quite a while, so the argument of "being rushed into the limelight" is weak...

if the team quit, he didn't have what it took to keep them motivated. Maybe the team quit on HIM, because they knew they didn't have a chance.

Not all of us do!:tongue:

PhinGeneral said:
Can we end this Phillip Rivers talk please? First of all, it's been reported that Miami has scouted him, and they do not like his arm. Miami likes a vertical game. Rivers isn't that QB.

Secondly, the Chargers can afford to keep both QB's this year, and with Brees having a torn labrum, they probably have no choice but to keep him as an insurance policy.

We have not had a good vertical game since Marino left.

oldfinfan said:

It seems as if you anti-kitna guys won't give it a rest so I will agrre to disagree.

dolfan121 said:
I believe the above question(thread) was QB possiblities, and those were all names that were brought up in responses. The reason I have Gus at 2 w/ Cutler, is I feel he will do just as much for the team next year as McNair or Kitna, and since Gus knows the system , why bring in a another vet to groom a young guy. That would just mean two guys would have to learn a system, that to me would take away coaching time from a younger QB! And I also do not agree with MANY of your posts.

Thats exaclty how I feel about getting older vets. If we get a vet, I want someone who we can have for the long run like Simms. But I do not want a vet who will only be here 2-3 years, learning a new system, while teaching a rookie. Thats what Gus can do as he already knows the system.
Good post.

oldfinfan said:

It's not a matter of him being rushed into the limelight -- it's the truth that aside from some meaningless time last week, Kitna hasn't seen the field. Despite that, he looked sharp.

if the team quit, he didn't have what it took to keep them motivated.

You can't blame Jon because he couldn't keep the team motivated in light of stunningly bad news of this sort. For one, he has NOTHING to do with the defense or special teams. For another, there are coaches who are responsible for team leadership as well. Finally, Jon cannot be a leader of this team -- it would totally undermine Carson Palmer to have the backup QB so involved. The other team leaders besides Palmer were the ones who failed to keep the team up if anybody failed. I would expect one of those guys to be Chad Johnson and another to be Rudi Johnson, knowing what I do about that team.

Maybe the team quit on HIM, because they knew they didn't have a chance.

Did you watch the game? There was no reason to believe anything of the sort. Kitna played lights out until the news came about Palmer's ACL and MCL.

You need to take a look at those 2002 Bengals, as does anyone who believes that Kitna isn't a big improvement over Gus.

Trust me, say NO to Kitna...He is a decent qb, but always makes 1 or 2 terrible plays that will kill your team.
Most of my friends are Bengals fans, and they laugh whenever I bring up Kitna as a possibility for us.
Like they say, and I agree"Why would you want Kitna, Frerotte is about the same.

My wants are:
Aaron Brooks
Josh McCown
Steve McNair

Draft:
Cutler
Jacobs
Vick

Jimmy James said:
You need to take a look at those 2002 Bengals, as does anyone who believes that Kitna isn't a big improvement over Gus.

I'm not sure that is ever going to sink in with them

FemaleFinFan said:
Thats exaclty how I feel about getting older vets. If we get a vet, I want someone who we can have for the long run like Simms. But I do not want a vet who will only be here 2-3 years, learning a new system, while teaching a rookie. Thats what Gus can do as he already knows the system.
Good post.

If it's really so tough to learn Linehan's system that we cannot possibly teach it to two QBs over an entire offseason, it makes me question why it is Miami wants to continue with that system.

Back
Top Bottom