Man, We Really Screwed Up Bypassing T.j. Watt! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Man, We Really Screwed Up Bypassing T.j. Watt!

Man that’s a great idea! Let’s do it. I was on the D James bandwagon last year but also liked J Willis so..

Fitz or Edmunds for me. Plus this way J can make fun of me for calling Van Der Esch a poor man's Edmunds. :lol:

It should be fun and I know there are interested parties.

Watt looks good but it’s a waste of time to even bring up that draft pick.

**** happens.

We’ve hit on the other 2 first rounders since then. I’ll take 2/3 every 3 drafts.

Better bust about 30 other teams asses while you are at it.

XACTLY!! How many LBs/edge rushers were taken before TJ and how many would be considered 'busts?' How many teams before PITT needed a LB/edge rusher, but passed because player at another position looked better? Some people seem to think Miami is the only team to fail on R1 picks.

I agree with you, so far Grier/Gase union seems to have produced much better draft results overall than the drafts prior, and every team misses. In fairness to the other side of this debate, though, when the Dolphins miss on first rounders, it tends to be a miss of spectacular proportions. It’s one thing to miss on a first rounder and wind up with a serviceable, if not a superstar player, but when the Dolphins miss, usually mediocrity would be an upgrade. We seem tied to boom or bust in the extreme.

But that doesn't support the other side of the debate.

That's my whole point.

Grier has drafted 3 first rounders. Laremy Tunsil, Charles Harris and MInkah Fitzpatrick.

Harris is in his second year and currently hurt. I think he will be a player for us, others think he will be a bust. The jury is definitely still out.

Two home runs and one maybe is exactly the opposite of boom or bust, considering the volatility of the success rate of first round picks.

Anything that happened before 2016 has no bearing on what's happening now.

People don't seem to realize that picking players is like winning the lotto. You don't know what your getting, you can only do so much research. I will say though that Miami has been horrendous this past decade with picks.
Well said friend..

You can say this about any player tbh, if our FO had the ability of drafting on hindsight, we would have a team of all pros. The big issue is the selection of Harris, I'm no great college evaluator but even I saw that as a poor pick, I was far from alone, much more intelligent folks than me could see it was a huge reach.

I wasn't a fan of the pick either and I would have preferred a pure football player like Watt, but your post is simply inaccurate. Many draft sites had Harris as a 1st round pick and one of the top 5 pass rushing DEs in that draft. In no way was it a huge reach.
I personally think a pass rushing DE needs to have more than just an explosive 1st step and the better DEs are usually taller, with longer arms and better body lean with better closing speed.

Typical Dolphins, we bypass a player who looks like a budding star to select Charles Harris, who looks like a budding bust. I am watching T.J. Watt mess up Cam Newton tonight, and I think how great he would have looked in aqua and orange. Disapointing.
Loved Watt coming out but didn’t fit our scheme.

The biggest screw up was picking RB-Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers. Anybody wanna top that one?

I don't read the draft discussions but was their anybody here that wanted Harris before the draft?

Why? Why do these threads come up so much? Several other teams missed on him as well. We also missed on probably many other players over the past decade. What's the point. Every freaking team is in the same boat.

Why? Why do these threads come up so much? Several other teams missed on him as well. We also missed on probably many other players over the past decade. What's the point. Every freaking team is in the same boat.
Because we have been mediocre for two decades.

Back
Top Bottom