marino is seventh best qb | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

marino is seventh best qb

Originally posted by bronco_heat
I thought he was the best qb ever. but, his lifetime qb rating is an 86, the same as Tom Brady's rookie season. Not to mention that there are six other qbs with lifetime ratings higher than his. Plus, qb ratings don't include what you can do with your legs. not much, in Marino's case. I guess Marino has a low rating because of all the ints he threw and the so so completion percentage. oh well, i guess being the seventh best qb in history is pretty good too. besides, even if marino is only the seventh best ever, that's still pretty good. i guess if he was a little bit more accurate maybe you guys could have won a big game.
\

Heath Shuler must be better than Elway.....

Stats are nice for hoots and hollars, but you can twist them anyway you'd like just ask the liberals. Point is there is only one thing that matters in football. WINNING. And all 3 did a pretty damn good job of doing that.... Until you get to the post season of course:D :lol:

Originally posted by sideburn
I never said he single handily won the superbowl, go back and read. I said he won games for his team... It's not his fault the defense was like a sive, and that throughout most of his career he never had a pro-bowl runningback or wideout, he made due with the likes of Sammy Winder and Bobby Humphreys, Steve Sewell... I mean come on these guys were a joke. And least you forget the record setting D we had that gave up the most points in a single season. I'm not Arguing for or against the best ever, I'm simply stating that a qb can win or lose you games. And more often than not, Elway won.

Guess who else had no run game or defense? Dan Marino.(At least Elway had Davis towards the end) Marino couldn't scramble, but scrambling is as important as a running back who can throw the ball if the QB has the greatest arm ever.

QB rating

If we go by QB rating(which would be a stupid way to rate a QB), then Kurt Warner is the greatest QB ever.

Originally posted by booyeah_

Guess who else had no run game or defense? Dan Marino.(At least Elway had Davis towards the end) Marino couldn't scramble, but scrambling is as important as a running back who can throw the ball if the QB has the greatest arm ever.
greatest arm ever would be your opinion, and probably many others in the Miami area. but 2000 miles away in Denver Marino isn't even spoken, so like I said, it's a mute point

Marino had 48 tds in 1984 and 44 tds in 1986. What does that have to do with playing a long time? He also led the league in passing yards from 1984-1992.

marino's great but he did throw a lot of picks, maybe if he could scamble like young they might of won something like the niners did. but, you never know. he's absolutely the best qb that didn't have what it takes to lead his team down the field and win the big game.

Re: QB rating

Originally posted by booyeah_
If we go by QB rating(which would be a stupid way to rate a QB), then Kurt Warner is the greatest QB ever.
and if you go by winning Pct then Damon Huard is the greatest Phin QB ever :rolleyes:

I am so sick of these QB ratings as if they mean anything. The Qb rating is nothing more than someone's idea of which statistics are important to judge a quarterback with.

The facts are that it is biased rating that favors QBs in short controlled passing games. If you'll notice few if any of the classic greats do well under these "modern" ratings.

In my opinion, Dan Marino is the finest "passer" ever produced. There has never been, nor will there ever be, another quarterback with the ability to read the field faster, throw quicker or more accurately than Dan.

By the way, crediting Superbowls to Elway when he basically rode TD in both seasons is a joke.

Originally posted by bronco_heat
marino's great but he did throw a lot of picks, maybe if he could scamble like young they might of won something like the niners did. but, you never know. he's absolutely the best qb that didn't have what it takes to lead his team down the field and win the big game.

:lol: ouch

i guess those guady statistics don't have anything to do with the fact that there wasn't any runningback scoring rushing tds like on the '99 rams. he's good but he threw a lot of picks and it's hard to be the best with a lifetime 60% completion percentage

Originally posted by sideburn

greatest arm ever would be your opinion, and probably many others in the Miami area. but 2000 miles away in Denver Marino isn't even spoken, so like I said, it's a mute point

cough homer cough

Originally posted by PhinKev
I am so sick of these QB ratings as if they mean anything. The Qb rating is nothing more than someone's idea of which statistics are important to judge a quarterback with.

The facts are that it is biased rating that favors QBs in short controlled passing games. If you'll notice few if any of the classic greats do well under these "modern" ratings.

In my opinion, Dan Marino is the finest "passer" ever produced. There has never been, nor will there ever be, another quarterback with the ability to read the field faster, throw quicker or more accurately than Dan.

By the way, crediting Superbowls to Elway when he basically rode TD in both seasons is a joke.

not that anyone has credited him, but what was denvers record the year after Elway left?

i'm also sick of the qb rating, the way it completely ignores how devastating a scrambler like elway or young can be on a defense. i mean if you included rushing stats elway would leapfrog marino in a heartbeat. thanks for that mention of qb ratings, i totally forgot.

marino's great if he was a baseball pitcher but you have to be able to move around a little if you want to lead your team to victory when it counts. i'm sure he could hit a fly in the nose from 50 yards out. but, that doesn't matter if he has to throw the ball way because he has the mobility of the statue of liberty.

maybe that's why he only has a 60% completion percentage. i think i'm being nice. i think it was only 59.6%. but he's an ok enough of a player to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Back
Top Bottom