McMike demanding huge contract | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

McMike demanding huge contract

tartan y fronts said:
according to yahoo!sports randy mcmichael is "hoping to sign a contract extension that would make him the highest-paid player at his position".
Oh well, I like McMichael a lot...but he simply isn't worth that. He can F off after this season if that's what he wants. He needs to learn how to catch the ball better than your average 15-year old Junior Varsity receiver before demanding a "huge" contract. He's a top 5 TE for the first half of the season, but top 10 for the second half......every year. He's not worthy of being the highest paid TE in the NFL. That's ridiculous.

Im not sure where all the ill will towards Randy comes from. He's been playing in a system that makes him block a lot because of terrible oline play, hes got 2 duds at the Qb position and plays on a run first team. He still puts up good numbers and makes big plays. Randy on a team with a great Qb like Manning or McNabb is an elite TE, on our team he is still top 5 or so, thats pretty good. Yea he doesnt deserve to get the most money ever by a TE but he certainly deserves to be paid inline with what guys like Crumpler, Heap, etc are getting-CLOSE to what they are getting.

Who can blame the guy or his agent for starting the negotiations, STARTING the negoitiations high? Why not? Football players are lucky to get 5 years in the NFL, no contracts are guaranteed, you have to make contracts signed in your prime count.
I have no ill will towards Randy, I think some of you are venting frustrations of a poor season on a guy that by all accounts had a good year. Yea he made some drops, so does Chambers but everyone keeps saying "yea next year he'll break out""wait until we get a #2 to go with him", etc well McMichael puts up in a terrible system with a terrible oline, terrible Rb, and terrible Qb play. Hes good, seems a shame to have to explain that to fans of his team.

Phinman84 said:
When you stop dropping then maybe you will be in the top 5. Another Classic Rosenhaus blunder. Maybe we can get a 3rd for him.

yes, I think a top10 3rd is the right price for him... we can bring this shot in our OL

finfansince72 said:
Im not sure where all the ill will towards Randy comes from. He's been playing in a system that makes him block a lot because of terrible oline play, hes got 2 duds at the Qb position and plays on a run first team. He still puts up good numbers and makes big plays. Randy on a team with a great Qb like Manning or McNabb is an elite TE, on our team he is still top 5 or so, thats pretty good. Yea he doesnt deserve to get the most money ever by a TE but he certainly deserves to be paid inline with what guys like Crumpler, Heap, etc are getting-CLOSE to what they are getting.

Who can blame the guy or his agent for starting the negotiations, STARTING the negoitiations high? Why not? Football players are lucky to get 5 years in the NFL, no contracts are guaranteed, you have to make contracts signed in your prime count.
I have no ill will towards Randy, I think some of you are venting frustrations of a poor season on a guy that by all accounts had a good year. Yea he made some drops, so does Chambers but everyone keeps saying "yea next year he'll break out""wait until we get a #2 to go with him", etc well McMichael puts up in a terrible system with a terrible oline, terrible Rb, and terrible Qb play. Hes good, seems a shame to have to explain that to fans of his team.
Agree.
A)He isnt expendable, i dont know why some people think that. The best thing for a young QB to develop well is a great TE he can always find when theres trouble.
B) Can we atleast wait untill this thing cmoes up a lil clearler. "i want to be paid like the best" isnt ecxactly something to have a heart-attack over.

Heck if we trade down and get two first rounders, or use McMike for a first rounder, we can draft that TE out of VA, he's a baller

Let's hope it doesnt come to that.

and Randy, catch a few footballs before opening your mouth.

Some guy's never learn...until their traded. He's a decent receiving T.E. but not that great a blocker....either be a team player...or hit the road.

tartan y fronts said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcTFhbmEwBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=cr-postsuperbowlplans013005&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

according to yahoo!sports randy mcmichael is "hoping to sign a contract extension that would make him the highest-paid player at his position".

he's a good player, but clearly not worth that kind of money. he's not earned it yet. could this be the start of another ogunleye sitch?

article also has some interesting comments on travis henry - not many positive.

Your subject line is misleading.... Demanding? BTW, this is Yahoo...

I personally think he will get a top 5 contract for his position.

He's worth the money. It can easily be made as incentive based to reach that. In other words pay him like a top 8 TE with incentives that can push his $$$'s higher if he performs.

ATTENTION: RICH 22

Do you still believe McMike is better and more valuable than Antonio Gates?

If he dosen't change his mind, he's gone. Ever since that whole Kellen Winslow thing, people seem to think that they can demand an outrageous some of money to play football. You get paid to play Football, that's good enough In most peoples book.
I don't think they should've given Winslow that money at all, what has he proven In the NFL that Is worth talking about? If mcmike was a team player, he wouldn't demand so much money. Yeah he's In the top ten, but definately not in the top 3.

I think the $ can be spent in a wiser manner than on Randy M. I dont think the TE position is a huge thing. I would rather keep replaceing the TE position, that spending big bucks on a guy. I hope we trade him, if he wants a huge contract like it states, for a 2nd...maybe a 1st, either or, and build from there.

Disgustipate said:
Whoa, whoa, I think everyone needs to sit down and actually do something like think before you start yelling "Trade him".

You guys are getting VERY worked up over a 5 paragraph blurb section that didnt even warrant bullets in the article. Do you really think if McMichael was DEMANDING a huge contract it wouldnt be bigger news then it is? Do you think farking YAHOO would break the story? Newsflash: Yahoo doesnt have reporters. Where did they get this from?

Odds are, he's going to want a top 5 contract. That's reasonable, he is a top 5 TE in the league, and was a close 2nd to Antonio Gates for most of the season, until Bates took over and used him as a blocker.

McMichael is being critisized for dropping balls when he wasnt being used the way he was susposed to. When Bates took over, McMichael started blocking most of the time. When he DID go out for the pass, he was running different routes and being used as a checkdown reciever. McMichael isnt someone who should be running releases and spending most of his time making sure a DE doesnt take your LT wide. What Bates had McMichael do was best for our OFFENSE, but was not what was the best use for McMichael himself.

He deserves critisism, but that's not at all why I say bye bye. The team is really going to have a hard time getting under the cap. Then sign the draft picks, one possibly getting a signing bonus of 15-18 million.

They probably won't be able to afford him without getting into deeper doo doo with the near future of the cap.

Im guna hafta say he's definately not a top TE in tha league if you look at stats alone. But he definately has the extra incentives that you cant measure with stats. He's the leader of that offense and one of the leaders of the team. With that said, i say let him earn his money thru incentives. We cannot let him loose, he needs to be on this squad.

TE Rank:

1.Antonio Gates
2.Tony Gonzalez
3.Todd Heap
4.Alge Crumpler
5.Randy McMichael

Back
Top Bottom